Redundant Information for Location Pages

(Mainly the wiki)

What should be done with redundant location information?

Cut it on all tabs except BoxStation's
No votes
Leave it as-is
100%

Total votes: 3

Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Redundant Information for Location Pages

Post by Farquaar » #470106

I've recently started adding tabs for the locations on PubbyStation, and I noticed that a lot of information in the BoxStation tab is carried over to the MetaStation tab. While most of said information is applicable to both maps (likely the reason why it was copied), the subtle differences between the maps are largely lost in the filler that was retained in each description.

Example:
BoxStation
Spoiler:
This is where the Quartermaster starts his shift. Quartermaster access is required to enter. It is stuffed with paper, paper, and more paper. Also includes some spare QM equipment and the QM's precious Quartermaster's Stamp. In case the loading area to the north runs out of power, you have your own private Supply Shuttle Console to use.

You have easy access to the Mining Dock to the south. There's also a Mining Outpost Console, where you can spy on what the Shaft Miners are doing.
MetaStation
Spoiler:
This is where the Quartermaster starts his shift. Quartermaster access is required to enter. It is stuffed with paper, paper, and more paper. Also includes some spare QM equipment and the QM's precious Quartermaster's Stamp. In case the loading area to the west runs out of power, you have your own private Supply Shuttle Console to use.

There's also a Mining Outpost Console, where you can spy on what the Shaft Miners are doing.
I'd like to hear some people's thoughts on this. If it's worth cutting the fat, I'd be happy to do it as I'm already wading through the location pages.
► Show Spoiler
SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Re: Redundant Information for Location Pages

Post by SpaceManiac » #470114

If the information is applicable to all maps, it should go outside the tab picker
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #470124

SpaceManiac wrote:If the information is applicable to all maps, it should go outside the tab picker
That's not a bad idea. I'll try it and see if the formatting doesn't look hideous.

Update: The issue with placing the info outside the tab picker is that that the eye-catching images get pushed halfway down the page after all the text.
► Show Spoiler
SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Post by SpaceManiac » #470148

Put the info after the tab picker?
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #470254

I think the tabs are stupid. Most locations are the same across every map. The only thing that belongs in a tab is an image of that location from that map, and whatever map-specific information there is about that page.

Even that seems stupid to me. We should pick one map, like Meta, to base all the location pages off of and remove tabs entirely.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #470298

Atlanta-Ned wrote:I think the tabs are stupid. Most locations are the same across every map. The only thing that belongs in a tab is an image of that location from that map, and whatever map-specific information there is about that page.

Even that seems stupid to me. We should pick one map, like Meta, to base all the location pages off of and remove tabs entirely.
I largely agree with that sentiment, though it would be nice to have subsections that describe notable differences between each map. Said info might fit neatly into a subsection at the end of the main article.
► Show Spoiler
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #481928

Atlanta-Ned wrote:I think the tabs are stupid. Most locations are the same across every map. The only thing that belongs in a tab is an image of that location from that map, and whatever map-specific information there is about that page.

this seems like it would be nice for people who already know about the map specific differences and absolutely a pain in the ass for those who do not, which seems like the target audience for location pages
Limey wrote:its too late.