Guide to Security

(Mainly the wiki)
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Guide to Security

Post by peoplearestrange » #62989

POSTS MOVED FROM THE OFFICIAL WIKI THREAD.
Let's continue the discussion here.
-kosmos

I started to redo the security weapons page, but there's a lot of work needed generally around sec and its guides. I'll try to work on them.

Do you think its worth posting pictures of the taser/e-gun with the seclight attached under the seclight section (under accessories)?
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Guide to Security

Post by Steelpoint » #62992

Yes, its not a very well shown feature.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #63860

I really really really dislike the entire Security guide page

It has questionable procedures and the gearing-up guide is just bleh, who the fuck even uses Security belts when you could have a cool on-sprite for wearing baton on your belt?
beyond that it just has some weird and useless information, looking for a green light before i update/edit it (gearing-up should include step for smacking a seclite on taser)
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #64031

Cecily wrote:I really really really dislike the entire Security guide page

It has questionable procedures and the gearing-up guide is just bleh, who the fuck even uses Security belts when you could have a cool on-sprite for wearing baton on your belt?
beyond that it just has some weird and useless information, looking for a green light before i update/edit it (gearing-up should include step for smacking a seclite on taser)
Go for it, man. You don't need a green light for anything on the wiki.

And just to be clear, I made the step-by-step guide how to equip yourself not to be a YOU MUST DO THIS, but for the guy, like myself, who join security officer for the first time and hopes to find quick tips on the guide how to start his first round. It's just a suggestion how I like to keep my equipment so I'm ready for most things the station's gonna throw at me. If you want, you can add a "this is just a suggestion" to the topic if you feel other people are disliking it that much, but I don't think a little handholding like that in the beginning of someone's security career is too much.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #64116

Cecily wrote:I really really really dislike the entire Security guide page

It's supposed to be a guide, not a how-to. But yeah it does kinda need reworking. Also I use belts, iirc if you put a baton on a sec belt you still get the cool sprite of it hanging there. Plus its so useful to have a place for cuffs and pepper spray (that stuff is way more robust that people realise because of its "reach").

I'm attempting at sorting out the sec weapons page first. Does anyone know if disablers are still a weapon you can get from cargo are were they all out replaced by the hybrid-taser? Also regular tasers were completely removed right? (other than admin spawning).
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #65200

This is how I'd set up, but I don't know if it's appropriate for the wiki. It seems a bit long winded. Any thoughts?
Spoiler:
Standard gear you should have spawned with: security jumpsuit, jackboots, helmet, armour, bowman headset, gloves, and Taser. If you’ve just joined the security force you’ll need to ask the warden to get you a Taser from the armoury. That Taser will go on your Exosuit-slot.

Set your suit sensors all the way up and set up your internals, with your oxygen tank in your pocket set to 16kPa. The standard mask is better than a gas mask here, because it lets you quickly push it down to perform CPR or eat food.
Put your ID in your PDA and turn the PDA’s flashlight on, then put the combination into your ID slot.

Go to the equipment room and open a security locker. Grab a security belt, a baton, a flashbang, and pepper spray. Put the seclite in your security belt into your pocket, turn the baton on and put it in your belt, and put the pepper spray and flashbang in your belt too.

Now get your starting baton (if you have one), flick it on, and put it in your backpack.

Finally, put your flash back in the locker, and get an extra seclite and handcuffs from the security vending machine. Put the handcuffs in your belt, and put the extra seclite on your taser.
Alternatives to this setup: ditch the handcuffs for zipties, ditch the pepperspray for another flashbang.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #65204

Imo something like the sec guide needs to be planned and drafted out in its own thread, seeing as sec and their playstyle has such an over arching effect on the round
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #65206

Also needs to set realistic expectations of how Security should be operating in normal rounds. Not something outlandish.
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Guide to Security

Post by kosmos » #67503

Let's continue the discussion about Guide to Security here, since people agree it needs some tweaking.

Guide to Security in itself is potentially a very special guide since it can be a major influence on the current and especially on the future security players, determining much of the "feel" of security, how much powergaming is allowed etc. so it can influence A LOT of rounds, amount of adminhelps and thus even overall drama.

Moving all the posts from the previous thread to here. :brain:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Re: Re: Guide to Security

Post by lumipharon » #67512

I would stay away from a 'gear up this this' approach. I would instead properly describe each item available to you, what you can do with it, where you can put it, when you would need it etc.
IE:

Flash
The flash is a small item, typically stored in a pocket, or in the secbelt. It is a melee range weapon, that will blind whoever you use it on, as well as causing them to drop whatever they're holding, and move around disorientatedly for a few seconds.
If you click the flash itself when in hand, it will blind anyone standing around you, with out the other effects.

Flashes are stopped by eye protection, such as sunglasses or hardsuit helmets.

The biggest advantage of the flash however, is the fact that when used on a cyborg it will stun it temporarily.
This makes it your best weapon when dealing with rogue silicons, so it's always handy to keep one on hand, although EMP's will fry it, and overuse will do the same.

Flashbang
The flashbang is a one use grenade, which which will stun, blind and deafen anyone that can see it when it activates.
Eye protection such as sunglasses or hardsuit helmets prevent the blinding and stunning effect, while ear protection such as earmuffs or bowman headsets prevent the deafening. This means security officers should be uneffected by flashbangs going off near them.

Warning! If a flashbang goes off in your hand, or on the same tile as you, it will effect you regardless of protection, and the stun will last far longer.
The flashbang also works on borgs, and as it is a powerful AOE ranged stun, it is always handy to carry one or two in your pockets or belt, for a bit of crowd control.

Etc etc etc.

Let new officers ask other members of sec, or experiment for themselves what loadout they like, rather then being told by the holy word of the wiki.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #67513

I would have to agree with lum here, it would nicely prevent power gaming, and honestly the wiki could use more reference style pages rather than guide style pages.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #67515

I disagree, new security players need to know a good loadout setup to ensure they can do their job to the best of their abilities, we don't need to handicap them by leaving it ambiguous on what to take.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #67540

MrStonedOne wrote:I would have to agree with lum here, it would nicely prevent power gaming, and honestly the wiki could use more reference style pages rather than guide style pages.
Using the equipment the game gives you or is in your starting area is NOT powergaming, stop being a feck tard.

Power gaming is going out of your way to get an advantage, i.e. going to chemistry to get your peppersprayer loaded with chlora/polyacid.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #68219

To use 'meta' in the way other games do, guides like this give a clear Security metagame for the 'ideal' loadout when in reality you can swap things out depending on personal preference/situational awareness and be just fine

Page should be converted into reference on the gear so people can chose how they like things set. (Lots of Silicons, acting strange? Into the easy-access pocket goes the flash. Crowds of tiders? More flashbangs, etc.)
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #68362

That's actually a good suggestion. If you have a reference chart/colour coded thing, that basically showed what each tool was good for, that would help newbros a lot.