Announcing Public Bans! (with """api""")

(Mainly the wiki)
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Announcing Public Bans! (with """api""")

Post by MrStonedOne » #598680

/tg/station 13 has decided to publicly release limited info about players permabanned from /tg/Station 13 game servers.

https://tgstation13.org/tgdb/publicbans.php

What's listed:

Only NEW bans made after this page was created.
Permanent server bans (no job bans).
Active and inactive bans alike (unless the ban was active for less then a week before being unbanned, in which case it stops showing up in public bans and gets mirrored to centcomdb as a delete.)
The system will wait 1 hour before showing the ban.
Ckey, ban reason, banning admin ckey, ban time, unban time (if applicable), unbanning admin ckey, and rather or not the ban is an admin ban (applies to admin too). (IP and CID ban details are not shown.)

API:
Spoiler:
API: https://tgstation13.org/tgdb/publicbans.php?format=json

These are the fields supported by the underlying ban database system, not all of them will apply here since this currently only shows permanent server bans, but are returned nonetheless.

Code: Select all

id (int)
status (enum('Active', 'Expired', 'Unbanned'))
expiration_time (?sqldatetimestring)
expired (?bool)
role (string(32))
length (?string, in the format of "n Minutes" or "Permanent", api clients should instead compute this from the datetimes)
ckey (?string(32))
a_ckey (string(32))
reason (string(2048))
bantime (sqldatetimestring)
round_id (int)
server_port (short)
unbanned_datetime (?sqldatetimestring)
unbanned_ckey (?string(32))
unbanned (?bool)
applies_to_admins (?bool)
Query parameters:

Code: Select all

?beforeid - Show bans before this ban id, used for pagination. the field by the same name returned by the api is what you would need to put into this to see the next page
?adminckey - Search bans by admin ckey, supports mysql wild cards.
?playerckey - Search bans by player ckey, supports mysql wild cards.
?serverport - Search bans by the connection port of the server that placed the ban.
(This api has not yet been configured to support cross origin requests from the browser)

All responses are limited to 200 bans per page. This may change without notice.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
bobbahbrown
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Re: Announcing Public Bans! (with """api""")

Post by bobbahbrown » #598681

this data is also now ingested into CentCom, as of this PR.

if you haven't seen CentCom before it's essentially a means for you to quickly search a vast amount of public ban data for individual ckeys, found on GitHub here and with a central instance hosted at https://centcom.melonmesa.com. this is used by many different spacestation13 communities for administrative purposes to better understand the reputations different players have between our communities. for more information you can read an onboarding document about CentCom i wrote for server hosts here, which includes common questions and misconceptions.

best wishes,
bobbah 'bee' brown

The information contained in this post is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. If you received this post in error, please notify the sender by reply post and delete and destroy the message.

L’information contenue dans ce message est destinée exclusivement aux personnes ou aux entités auxquelles le message est adressé. Le contenu de ce message (y compris toute pièce jointe) peut renfermer de l’information confidentielle et / ou privilégiée. Si ce message ne vous est pas destiné, vous ne pouvez utiliser, divulguer, diffuser, copier ou imprimer son contenu. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez aviser l’expéditeur en lui faisant parvenir une réponse. De plus, veuillez supprimer et détruire le message.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #598712

you did this just to spite me
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #598713

Screenshot 2021-04-24 11.14.39 PM.png
tfw fulp sucks.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #598727

oranges wrote:you did this just to spite me
isnt that your motivation behind 90% of things you do here
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #598747

personally i find this creepy

for example, the crimes of george bush sr from 2003 preserved for all eternity

also searched jonathan gupta's which was entertaining but he wasn't the one who built centkompromat
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #598754

cacogen wrote:also searched Jonathan Gupta's which was entertaining but he wasn't the one who built centkompromat
ofc not, I'm a bum ass who sits at home with autism.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #598791

afraid your shitty reputation will follow you like a bad smell cacogen?
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #598882

is there a reason round IDs are not provided? all it would do is let people confirm whether or not the events are true or if some evidence was missed. the logs are already public, it's just footwork making the connection.
/ive just been told that its provided, it's just not presented on the nicely formatted page
oops
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #598900

oranges wrote:afraid your shitty reputation will follow you like a bad smell cacogen?
Well no, I follow the rules. But I think bobbah's ancient YogStation bans are a good example of why this is an unfair system. Obviously you don't have to worry about it because you don't play the game. But you calling MSO spiteful made it seem to me like you were against it.
Jonathan Gupta wrote:
cacogen wrote:also searched Jonathan Gupta's which was entertaining but he wasn't the one who built centkompromat
ofc not, I'm a bum ass who sits at home with autism.
aren't we all
NSFW:

bobbahbrown
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Post by bobbahbrown » #598902

cacogen wrote:
oranges wrote:afraid your shitty reputation will follow you like a bad smell cacogen?
Well no, I follow the rules. But I think bobbah's ancient YogStation bans are a good example of why this is an unfair system. Obviously you don't have to worry about it because you don't play the game. But you calling MSO spiteful made it seem to me like you were against it.
to address your concern, though id like not to derail the thread: whilst i can understand why you would be concerned about ancient bans if this were some sort of system that would automatically ban or penalize you based on bans, that simply isn't what centcom is.

all that centcom does is effectively let you search multiple public ban webpages at once, the question of what data is presented to you is not a question for centcom but a question of the individual source/codebase. i have no intention or interest in modifying the content returned from sources in any form, it's not what the application is designed for or advertised as.

not only this, but the servers that use centcom for admin purposes are (as far as i am aware) just using it to get a better idea of...
- if you are appealing a ban, have you gotten banned recently anywhere else
- if you are playing and are up to no good, have you gotten banned recently from somewhere for a similar reason
- if you are suspected of metacomming have you been banned elsewhere for metacomming (more specifically with the same player)

those three scenarios probably make up the majority of the use case for centcom as a service, and hopefully you can agree with me when i propose that the people using it for those reasons won't care about a ban from seven years ago.

hopefully this clarifies some things. i would suggest taking a look at the previously linked hackmd document if you have deeper questions or concerns that i have not addressed here as they likely are addressed there

buzzing with activity,
bobbah 'bee' brown

The information contained in this post is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. If you received this post in error, please notify the sender by reply post and delete and destroy the message.

L’information contenue dans ce message est destinée exclusivement aux personnes ou aux entités auxquelles le message est adressé. Le contenu de ce message (y compris toute pièce jointe) peut renfermer de l’information confidentielle et / ou privilégiée. Si ce message ne vous est pas destiné, vous ne pouvez utiliser, divulguer, diffuser, copier ou imprimer son contenu. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez aviser l’expéditeur en lui faisant parvenir une réponse. De plus, veuillez supprimer et détruire le message.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #598905

An aggregated list of bans from all servers reminds me of the concern players have about notes for all intents and purposes being punishment because notes stick with you forever and are inevitably held against you by admins even though they may no longer represent your conduct. I have notes from a couple of years ago from when I played drunk and they provide a very narrow view of my history as a player that misrepresents how I am usually. You yourself probably don't like the idea of having ancient bans held against you on all servers, or there being a collated record of your worst moments on all servers with nothing representing the vast majority of your conduct.

The other thing is that by making it public it just allows people to search up damaging information on people to use against them.

Not sure how I stand on the idea of you just hosting the content not being responsible for it.
NSFW:

oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #598941

no I'm very much for public bans, as tg has one of the largest stores of record about shitters across ss13, and we'd be doing a real favour to every server by opening up that list.

I actually intend a much more robust release of all previous bans, with reasons removed (as we cannot guarantee their PII), along with all new bans public to centcomm with a public reason, and a private notes field for tg admins.

Given that I have ~32 bans on /tg/ this affects me more than you assume, however, I am happy for them to be released because I know that servers I woudl like to play on will not take old bans into account.
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #598987

oranges wrote:no I'm very much for public bans, as tg has one of the largest stores of record about shitters across ss13, and we'd be doing a real favour to every server by opening up that list.

I actually intend a much more robust release of all previous bans, with reasons removed (as we cannot guarantee their PII), along with all new bans public to centcomm with a public reason, and a private notes field for tg admins.

Given that I have ~32 bans on /tg/ this affects me more than you assume, however, I am happy for them to be released because I know that servers I woudl like to play on will not take old bans into account.
I agree with this.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #599003

oranges wrote:I actually intend a much more robust release of all previous bans, with reasons removed (as we cannot guarantee their PII), along with all new bans public to centcomm with a public reason, and a private notes field for tg admins.
This seems fine actually, provided players are aware going forward that by playing they consent to having their ban reasons publicised. I don't think it's fair having ban reasons from years ago publicised now. But if it's just the ban type and length then that doesn't give people anything to use against those players.
NSFW: