Looking for Feedback: New Rules Page

(Mainly the wiki)
tattle
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

Looking for Feedback: New Rules Page

Post by tattle » #627895

I've been working on a new rules page for a bit now: same old content, brand new format.
https://tgstation13.org/wiki/User:Dragomagol/Rules

The purpose of this change was to unite the rules, roleplay rules, silicon policy, and security policy in a way that makes them all equally visible.

Screenshots of the proposed change:
► Show Spoiler
The main loss I think from this is the table of contents, but I've tried to mitigate it by linking precedents to each rule with the rule. Thoughts?
Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler:
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Re: Looking for Feedback: New Rules Page

Post by san7890 » #627935

I feel like adding the actual rule itself (e.g. When you mention "Rule 1 of the main rules apply to security" under Security Policy) might make it a little easier than having to continuously flip pages back and forth. I don't know how if it might make it a bit more convoluted. The "Rule 4" of that same page actually does mention snippets from Game Rule 4, but it's absent from the mention Rule 1 (and probably in the other three policies/specific rules).
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #628165

This looks pretty, but it feels like it's going to be harder to Ctrl+F, which is the only thing I do on the rules page these days.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #628169

san7890 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:06 am I feel like adding the actual rule itself (e.g. When you mention "Rule 1 of the main rules apply to security" under Security Policy) might make it a little easier than having to continuously flip pages back and forth. I don't know how if it might make it a bit more convoluted. The "Rule 4" of that same page actually does mention snippets from Game Rule 4, but it's absent from the mention Rule 1 (and probably in the other three policies/specific rules).
Do the thing we do at the Chemistry page, hovering over Rule 4 should make it appear in a tooltip.
tattle
In-Game Head Admin

Post by tattle » #628172

Mothblocks wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:17 am This looks pretty, but it feels like it's going to be harder to Ctrl+F, which is the only thing I do on the rules page these days.
A good point! I think the only things that got pushed away from the main rules was silicon and security; the roleplay rules were already on their own page and headmin rulings are still on their own page. Thought about moving escalation to its own page but it really doesn't need one.
iamgoofball wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:29 am Do the thing we do at the Chemistry page, hovering over Rule 4 should make it appear in a tooltip.
Now this is an idea; I think that anchors between tabs don't work so well, so this kind of thing would be good.

Spoiler:
tattle
In-Game Head Admin

Post by tattle » #628189

Rules tooltip!

Spoiler:
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #628229

have a tab for headmin rulings too instead of a link
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #628949

can we get a search box in the crafting window now? i feel like it's probably easier than this