Updating some space law

(Mainly the wiki)
starmute
Byond Username: Starmute

Updating some space law

Post by starmute » #189892

I'm currently going to add a law regarding grey tiding (IE if a assistant starts RCDing the brig feel free to perma brig them.
I updated the grand theft page so it isn't definitive and people can use their own common sense.

Feel free to make constructive criticisms. Also please remember that space law is merely an IC roleplay suggestion. Its not supposed to be definitive and people are supposed to be thinking for themselves regardless.

"Syndicate agents frequently attempt to steal cutting-edge technology. Examples include: intelligence or research samples, the Hand Teleporter, the Captain's Antique Laser, the Captain or the HoP's ID cards, or Mechs.

This is by no means a exhaustive list of items that are high value to the syndicate; when in doubt use common sense when you see certain items that are stolen that can cause massive problems throughout the station. Remember if something is locked up in a secure area it probably should not be taken without prior permission.
changed from
| Syndicate agents frequently attempt to steal cutting-edge technology, intelligence or research samples, Hand Teleporter, the Captain's Antique Laser, Captain or HoP's ID cards, or Mechs.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Re: Updating some space law

Post by Luke Cox » #189894

Remove the bit that requires captain approval for executions for capital crimes. Most HoSes do it anyways.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #189904

RCDing the brig is grand sabotage
starmute

Post by starmute » #189908

TechnoAlchemist wrote:RCDing the brig is grand sabotage
I should have said "I'm currently considering adding a page".
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #189955

Luke Cox wrote:Remove the bit that requires captain approval for executions for capital crimes. Most HoSes do it anyways.
Noo, no. It gives more flavour and can create interesting dynamics. Just punch in the red alert if you don't want to ask for authorization.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #190003

Sec should not be executing people unless it they have no choice due to fighting an antag using lethal weapons or abilities!
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #190007

Spoken like a person, who never plays sec.
Bring back papercult.

Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #190014

Luke Cox wrote:Remove the bit that requires captain approval for executions for capital crimes. Most HoSes do it anyways.
I removed that months ago.
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #190057

Gun Hog wrote:Sec should not be executing people unless it they have no choice due to fighting an antag using lethal weapons or abilities!
Or it's anact of grand sabotage, or srepeat escalating offender, a guy who responded to being brigged for assault by attacking an officer and stealing his stuff is on a shitspiral that needs to be nipped in the bud, death is really the only thing the players actually respect, anything else is pissing in the wind
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #190076

Malkevin wrote:I removed that months ago.
Obviously you didn't.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
starmute

Post by starmute » #190111

Back on topic:

I'm not changing anything massive. I'm updating grand theft. This is a feedback for that. Not a debate on executions.

Also FYI this isn't policy. Its fluff. Its a IC suggestion and not "da rules".
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #190125

It's literally IC da rules. Deal with it.
starmute

Post by starmute » #190138

Lumbermancer wrote:It's literally IC da rules. Deal with it.
Its not though. Its a IC suggestion. Ask any admin. It literally SAYS that its a IC suggestion for space law.

To quote the page
"The rules and regulations herein are not absolutes, instead they exist to serve mainly as guidelines for the law and order of the dynamic situations that exist for stations on the frontiers of space, as such some leeway is permitted. "

"This page is merely an IC roleplay suggestion
It has NOT been adopted as an official policy after two votes.
Administrators will only intervene when you are sentenced to grossly unfair times. If you get 3 minutes instead of 2, talk to the lawyer as it's considered an IC issue."

That being said its a GUIDELINE for new players and a SUGGESTION.

Regardless stop derailing the thread. This isn't about space law being cannon (which it isn't and admins have been very adamant about this). If you want to ask questions about regarding space law's legitimacy (and history) I would have you ask Malk or Kor in irc.

LETS GET BACK ON TOPIC.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #190228

starmute wrote:suggestion suggestion suggestion
Verb

suggest ‎(third-person singular simple present suggests, present participle suggesting, simple past and past participle suggested)

(transitive) To imply but stop short of saying explicitly.

(transitive) To ask for without demanding.

(transitive) To recommend.

The thing is that nobody will stop me from using Space Law as The Law. Remember when HG or someone removed SL, but Sec didn't care much and kept at it as usual? It's too late. It's the Law. But it's almost never applied to the letter, so we're all good.
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #190487

The obvious problem is not space law, but security in general.
Remove sec, problem solved.
starmute

Post by starmute » #190488

palpatine213 wrote:The obvious problem is not space law, but security in general.
Remove sec, problem solved.
Lets remove the station while we're at it. Imagine: you spawn into a black void, your imagination is your canvas.
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #190491

Nah, the station doesn't bitch nearly as much as sec players.

Although, adding a construction mode sounds fun.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #190518

That's because rarely any change will affect a single group of players negatively more than security.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #190526

Cargo moaned quite a bit when I strengthened secure crates a fair bit.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #190530

delete spacelaw page again please
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #190565

delete oranges please
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #190582

Maybe do a big rewrite of space law to be relevant to today's game, like I did before.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #190588

Which part exactly is not relevant?
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #190620

palpatine213 wrote:Nah, the station doesn't bitch nearly as much as sec players.
What sec players?
Lumbermancer wrote:That's because rarely any change will affect a single group of players negatively more than security.
Are we so quick to forget the unprecedented shafting our silicon players got during the AI removal trial?

Back on topic: What is the issue with Space Law right now?
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #190694

I don't know, people moan about it all the time though.

My problem recently though is a lot of sec players are like "we must stick to these guidelines and not think anything beyond them"

Point of space law is to give you an excuse to arrest dickheads for being dickheads and then give them the thumb screws, and whilst part of it is to set limits to stop sec turning into mini hitler the main point of it is for something in black and white to say "right, thats a crime".
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #190703

I find the wording to be more up to date and cleaner over all, Now that you've fixed it and proofread it and all.

Not that this is connected to your changes, but Where did loitering go? That used to be a minor crime...?
It was a handy excuse that I still use for people who won't leave HoP line after being denied, or lookyloos waiting to become a mob outside security. feel encouraged to re-add it.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #190713

Loitering never got added.

It was one of the first things I tried adding in my first batch of changes (When I added break and entering and add the different severities of trespass), but wasn't popular enough for me to push it through.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #190715

If someone is a dickhead space law shouldn't allow you to arrest them because you should do it anyways. All space law does is make people be dicks and give people 10 minutes for breaking windows because lol
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #190728

Hurrrrrrrrrr. Its a one minute crime dickface.

You keep bring that up because one sec officer once gave you a lot of time because you were breaking windows.
If they were following space law you wouldn't have gotten ten minutes, if space law didn't exist you'd still end up thrown in the slammer if the officer felt like it and he'd still be able to give you ten minutes because he feels like it.

Don't blame a document when someone's clearly not following it, you fucking mongoloid.
starmute

Post by starmute » #190734

I'm asking the thread be closed due to people being off topic and the conversation becoming nothing more than mudslinging

Thanks for your input Falamazeer.