A bit more spoonfeeding on the guide to mapping page please

(Mainly the wiki)
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

A bit more spoonfeeding on the guide to mapping page please

Post by Iatots » #220184

-Map defines and when to check them.

-Why does using "save as" leave me with an abortion instead of a new station in the maps folder?

-The mapmerger tool: Ok so "prepare maps" backs up the current map and ???, and once it's done it says: "Remember to run Map_merge_TGM.bat just before you commit your changes!". Is this saving? The wiki reminds me of saving the step before using Map_merge, is this a github thing? I don't have a branch to make a pull request to make a commit, why is this not on the wiki? Why is there an exclamation mark?! Will the tool never work again if I save at the wrong time?! If I miss running prepare maps one time will the code bank freeze my byond account?!
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Re: A bit more spoonfeeding on the guide to mapping page ple

Post by lzimann » #220234

Iatots wrote:-The mapmerger tool: Ok so "prepare maps" backs up the current map and ???, and once it's done it says: "Remember to run Map_merge_TGM.bat just before you commit your changes!". Is this saving? The wiki reminds me of saving the step before using Map_merge, is this a github thing? I don't have a branch to make a pull request to make a commit, why is this not on the wiki? Why is there an exclamation mark?! Will the tool never work again if I save at the wrong time?! If I miss running prepare maps one time will the code bank freeze my byond account?!
The map merger is when you want to commit things into git. Every time you make map changes, byond has the habit of rewriting way too much lines, map merger prevents that, changing only the places where you actually edited. Don't worry about it if you are not making pull requests(but it would work regardless of the time you save).

About the other two questions, what do you mean by "map defines" ? And no clue about the save as, since I've never used it.
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Re: A bit more spoonfeeding on the guide to mapping page ple

Post by Iatots » #220364

Alright thanks for the help on map merger.

In the maps folder, every station has a small file which includes which Z-levels are loaded for each station. People tick them when compiling a station to play on I presume, but do they have a use in the map making process?