Supermatter engine has no guide

(Mainly the wiki)
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Supermatter engine has no guide

Post by lzimann » #259497

The supermatter engine, that is the default on delta station, has no guide, leading to many people blowing up the engine(constantly).
So, to solve this problem in a good way so I don't have to disable a map that people seem to like, I am offering one antag token for whoever writes a decent and detailed guide on how to operate the supermatter engine.
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Re: Supermatter engine has no guide

Post by John_Oxford » #259521

Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #259523

John_Oxford wrote:https://wiki.baystation12.net/Supermatter_Engine

i'll take my antag token now
It's different on bay though
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #259525

I quickly wrote this guide, but keep in mind that english is not my first language and so it's guaranteed to be awful. If anyone would be kind enough to rewrite this to be easier to read, have a go at it. Or just feel free to completely rewrite it and just use the information here to figure out how. I don't care about any antag tokens in the first place, I just want this engine see more use.

Quick engine explanation:

The supermatter engine consists of 4 main parts:

1. The Supermatter crystal(or shard). This is the most important object in the engine. It can create two different kinds of radiation. Any object touching the shard is instantly destroyed, no matter if it's wrench, a crewmember or a cyborg. The shard also has a tendency to explode in a massive explosion when heated for too long, although thankfully the shard has an automatic detection system that will periodically warn the crew over radio.

2. Fuel. The supermatter crystal needs to be supplied with fuel to work. Fuel comes in 2 different variations: Energy lasers from emitters and objects. Energy causes the crystal to emit hallucinations, while objects cause the crystal to emit radiation. You can protect yourself against hallucinations with mesons, while radiation needs the yellow radiation suit.

3. A pressurized environment. The shard needs to be in a pressurized room in order to any notable amount of energy. A pure oxygen environment causes the shard to glow slightly orange and increases the power output vastly, while a pure n2 environment causes it to heat up less.

4. Radiation collectors. These need to be filled with plasma canisters and work the same way the ones as the singulo ones do: If hit by radiation, they convert it to energy. The more moles of plasma in a canister, the more energy is created from each burst of radiation.

Things to note: In operation, the shard will naturally heat up so you need a way to dump or cool the heated gasses from the chamber somehow. In roundstart setups this is usually done with gas being led through a heat exchanger into space and back, although custom setups are not limited to this.

--

How to set up the engine(on delta):

1. Put on mesons, put on a radiation suit aswell if you have reason to believe that your coworkers are going to fall into the shard for whatever reason.

2. Look inside the chamber and memorize the the vent and scrubber names by hovering your mouse over them.

3. Locate the filter in the loop and choose a gas that you want to keep. The chosen gas will be kept, while the others will be ejected into space. Recommended: O2 if you like power, N2 if you like safety.

4. Unlock the air alarm and set the previously memorized scrubbers to siphon(not scrub) and set the memorized vents to release gas at a high rate.

5. Turn on all the pumps in the loop and confirm that the air inside the chamber is cooling down.

6. Turn on the emitters and let them fire at the shard. Check to see if the energy beam is actually hitting the shard or if anyone messed with the reflector room. Try just 1 emitter first if you are unsure about your setup.

7. Fill the radiation collectors with plasma canisters.

8. Set up the SMES.

You're done! The shard should be producing energy now. Make sure to check back occasionally to confirm that the temperature is not rising.

Optional: If you are running a o2 setup and want a lot of extra power, pump o2 from atmos into the loop. Note that this step needs to be supervised unless you love exploding engines since the incoming gas is usually not cooled yet.

Filling radiation collectors with fully filled, supercooled plasma will also increase the amount of power being generated.

--
Extra stuff to consider:
The shard is unable to announce delamination when the comms are down.
The roundstart crystal and the regular shards are different: The crystals are anchored and unmoveable, they generate more power, are a small bit harder to delaminate and they explode in a truly massive blast that will eat a good chunk of the station.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #259543

If your first language is Spanish you could send me a detailed guide via pm and I can translate it for you pro bono.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
RandomMarine
Github User
Byond Username: RandomMarine
Github Username: RandomMarine

Post by RandomMarine » #259544

Deltastation supermatter 4 dummies

FIRST OFF, WEAR A GODDAMN RADSUIT AND MESONS WHILE IN THE SUPERMATTER ENGINE ROOM

1) See those pumps in the red circles? Crank them to max (4500 kPa) and turn them on. Three in total.

2) See those filters circled in blue? Same deal, turn those on and max their output. Set the one labeled 1 to filter plasma and 2 to nitrogen.

3) See that air alarm circled in yellow? Swipe an atmos id to unlock it or just click it if you're a sillycon.
Click on Vent Controls
Scroll down the list until you see Atmospherics Engine vent pump #5, #6, and #7.
Click both pressure regulator buttons so that internal is highlighted green and external is blue.
Now go back and go to the scrubber controls.
Set Atmospherics Engine air scrubber #3, #4, and #6 to siphoning, click the button that says Mode: Scrubbing to do that.
Lock it or not, your choice. There's easier ways for a traitor to sabotage the engine if they want.

4) Now go fetch some nitrogen canisters. Take them to the connectors circled in green and have the gas pumps empty them out into the loop. I use four in total.

5) Let the loop run for a while to get it nice and cool. In the meantime, get a plasma canister (Either fill one up at atmos or get one from engineering's secure storage) and fill six plasma tanks up.
Now I'm going to assume you're not familiar with the singuarlity engine. Slap those tanks into these collectors circled in white, then click them to turn them on. If you need to retrieve a tank, turn it off and apply crowbar.

6) The loop should be all cooled off by now. But before doing anything else, TURN OFF THE GAS PUMP CIRCLED IN GREEN.

7) Fire the engine up! Click click those emitters circled in pink up top and don't stand on those green tiles to the right. Or you'll die and the observers will laugh at you.

8) Once it's going, go to the SMES units (Follow the red arrow) and configure those. Max out input, set output to reasonable (or not) levels, simple.

BONUS: You know that plasma filter you set up at the start? If the round lasts long enough, it'll fill up those red pipes with cold plasma. Hook up an air pump to one of the connectors and use it to refill the plasma tanks. (Max out the regulator, set direction to in, attach tank, turn power on. Don't forget to turn it off before removing the tank.)
Cold plasma is longer lasting and much more effective in the radiation collectors.
Last edited by RandomMarine on Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #259590

I think a lot of emphasis should be put on the air alarm part.

ALWAYS SET SCRUBBERS 3, 4 AND 6 TO SYPHON OR ELSE NONE OF THE HOT GAS IS GETTING FILTERED OUT AND THAT WILL MAKE THE SM GET UNSTABLE
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #259863

Don't forget to install a disposal chute system so you can feed greyshirts directly into the super matter engine
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #260018

Jacough wrote:Don't forget to install a disposal chute system so you can feed greyshirts directly into the super matter engine
Finally, somebody talks about its real purpose
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #260139

That's the real purpose of any engine and as such does not require talking about.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #260143

DemonFiren wrote:That's the real purpose of any engine and as such does not require talking about.
durr antimattur
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #260157

Maybe now that mining is fairly popular, fuel-guzzling engines could be revisited?
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #260159

>not setting up pack man fields for maximum mineral guzzling

just LEAVE
Supermichael777
Byond Username: Supermichael777

Post by Supermichael777 » #260485

Rough cut guide because no one got off their ass and made the page: https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Guide_to_the_Supermatter
oranges wrote:It's my game, not yours
Never forget the corruption of these halls

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I actually care.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Omar Beail says, "You guys should fuck for my entertainment"
Classy, TG, Classy

OOC: KorPhaeron: Admins aren't allowed to have friends

OOC: Daman997: I HAVE POSTED VIDEOS OF A MAN FUCKING A SNAKE IN OOC GIVE ME THAT LINK PUSSY
An0n3 wrote:Take the same brand of retardation and invert it and you have people saying "It's okay for a game to cost more because I enjoyed it!
Spoiler:
Q: Why does everyone assume I’m a pervert just for wanting to play as a cat girl?
A: Because they’re degenerate cocksuckers who cannot fathom that another person might have pure intentions in wanting to play as the cat girl master race. Their wish fulfillment fetish-tier races like elves, aasimars, goliaths, and hobgoblins are perfectly fine in their mad, lust-filled minds, such that the purity and perfection of cat girls burns at their evil perverted hearts.

Q: Where are the cat boys?
A: I don’t follow.
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #261014

Quick guide for the supermatter on box and meta:

The "boring setup".

This is a very basic, step by step guide to setting up the supermatter engine. Only use this if you have no idea what you are doing.

NOTE: This guide uses metastation engine as example, but if you rotate it, it applies to the box one aswell.

1. Put on a meson scanner. They are colored either green or yellow. A radiation suit is only needed if one of you coworkers accidently stumbles into the crystal.

2. Take a look at this picture.
Your first step should be turning pipes on and off until they all match the pictured setup. Click a pipe to access the menu of it. Set them all to max pressure aswell.

3. Make sure that the filter(green) on the left is set to "None" and the filters on the right to "O2", "Co2", "Plasma" and "None". Turn them all on and set them to max pressure as well.

4. Swipe your ID at the air alarm(blue) and take a look inside the chamber. Hover your mouse over the 3 vents and 3 scrubbers(orange) and note their names. Open the air alarm menu and set the noted vents to 5000 kPA pressure and the scrubbers to siphon and extended range.

5. Open the secure storage. You either need someone with access(CE or Captain) to press the button in the CE office or you could ask the AI for help. If you get the secure storage opened, skip the next bolded section.

WARNING: ONLY DO THIS IF NOBODY IS ABLE/WILLING TO OPEN SECURE STORAGE: Swipe your engineering ID on the APC to unlock it. Turn the APC off. Walk up to the blast door and use a crowbar to pry it open. Return to the APC and turn turn it back on, then swipe your ID to lock it again.

Now go and walk over to the tank dispenser. Dispense 6 plasma tanks. Take each plasma tank, walk over to the plasma canister in secure storage and click the canister with the tank in hand. Open the canister menu and set the pressure to max. Double check to see if the tank was inserted correctly, then open the valve and close it after the tank has been filled. Eject the tank and insert it into one of the radiation collectors(pink), then click the radiation collector with an empty hand to activate it.

6. Almost done! Double check if you did everything as described, then head into the laser room and turn on the emitters on both sides.

7. Your supermatter should be generating power now. Set up the SMES now. Don't set the input too high or the SMES will be unable to charge properly.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #261253

Literally a hero
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #261259

Just want to air a minor annoyance I've seen on git and here.

One justification sometimes brought up of using the SM over the Singulo or Tesla is that the SM is harder to use and offers more ways for """smart""" engineers to set up the engine for more power.

I think that's all smoke and mirrors. The only reason the SM is 'hard' to use is because it has (until recently) no real good guide and its new (on the scale we're now using it).

Once the guides set in, and the meta forms, the SM will offer little change over the Sing or Tesla aside from the SM being harder to sabotage since it warns the crew earlier.

I think its a shame we are losing out on unique round start power sources such as a literal black hole or a giant ball of energy for a yellow crystal, but that's my opinion.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #261263

The thing is that the SM requires a bit more maintenance and is already being tweaked to have more interesting interactions and failure consequences. Sure there will probably be a baseline meta for setting it up that most people will use canned from a guide, but the idea is to add a greater depth.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #261579

I added the basic mechanics to the wiki based on some code diving. It'd be great if someone could check for errors, i may have interpreted some math in the wrong way.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.