How, what and why to code in BYOND.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Re: Proposed new rule for developers

Post by NikNakFlak » #266967

Bottom post of the previous page:

iamgoofball wrote:
NikNakFlak wrote:That decision rests with the maintainers who ultimately decide to merge your change or completely remove the retrospective feature. I believe there's a case for that right now with the shadowshrooms deal. Do you have enough faith in your maintainers to properly give things a chance?

Are there any examples of them merging a revert instead of test merging or trying a fix/balance first?
Why did you refuse to answer the question I made and go on a tangent about maintainers?
Because you are using a bullshit argument and a flawed question.
Let's say you added a new tool for chemists. It's a little OP on launch, and you make a fix PR. Someone makes a revert PR in response to your fix/nerf PR you made, and it gets merged because it has more comments and upvotes because your fix/nerf 1. wasn't tried because all the feedback was "JUST REVERT", and 2. the revert PR has insane support because they don't want to try a fix.

How would you feel, now that a feature you worked hard on got thrown out the window even when you fixed it and they didn't even want to try the fix?
That is my answer. I'm not going to answer your question with "yea I'd feel bad" because I A) Have never had this happen to me and B) don't see this happen in general. If honest to god a maintainer picks a revert over a balance or even worse, a PR that makes a feature work as intended, they are bad maintainers. I don't see this happening however.

Have maintainers even reverted a freshly merged feature before balance changes were attempted? Is there examples of this that you can show? Or are you just saying what-ifs in an attempt to use it as an argument. You are advocating for a "rule" about PRs which probably doesn't even need to exist because there really isn't a problem for it (unless I am mistaken and you can point out examples that I have missed.) I went on that tangent about maintainers, because in reality, they have the power to merge a fix/balance you made or revert it depending on THEIR judgement. The only difference a "3 week grace period does" is protect shitty ideas/balance changes made by the original coder instead of someone else who may be making a more reasonable balance change or even a revert. Maybe if your feature is instantly reverted instead of being balanced, you either need to take a look at the feature itself and wonder why the "big bad maintainers are out to get you and hate your feature" or that you really just suck at balance changes and people agree that someone else changes, or a revert is better. You want to shoehorn in a "policy" about code when as far as I know, doesn't even need to exist. I almost never see features instantly reverted without some sort of balance shifting first if it's new. Most of the time, maintainers and everyone spent so long arguing about something just to get it merged that they would rather see it try to get balanced before reverting. If your feature gets reverted, you must have really fucked up somewhere and any kind of "grace period" is going to change nothing.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #267010

Incoming wrote:
oranges wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:Why not let on more maintainers instead of handling 99% of the PRs by yourself, oranges?
This implies I have a choice in how many pr's I handle.

To me it seems like I wait for someone else to merge it and then the pr is open for many days, no action, I wait and I wait and then at some point I lose patience with waiting and just handle the pr
It's not your onus to keep the pr list short, do what your comfortable doing and if it turns out that the PR page isn't being handled by other people THEN have a discussion about needing more help. Ultimately if one person seems willing to preemptively take on extra "work" most people aren't gonna say "no, don't make my life easier!".
Because it's a bad faith and rude to people who put their work on our tracker. We owe them a reasonably timely review and I feel embarrassed whenever items stay there for a long item with no activity on our part. It feels like a failure to me.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #267064

oranges wrote:
Incoming wrote:
oranges wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:Why not let on more maintainers instead of handling 99% of the PRs by yourself, oranges?
This implies I have a choice in how many pr's I handle.

To me it seems like I wait for someone else to merge it and then the pr is open for many days, no action, I wait and I wait and then at some point I lose patience with waiting and just handle the pr
It's not your onus to keep the pr list short, do what your comfortable doing and if it turns out that the PR page isn't being handled by other people THEN have a discussion about needing more help. Ultimately if one person seems willing to preemptively take on extra "work" most people aren't gonna say "no, don't make my life easier!".
Because it's a bad faith and rude to people who put their work on our tracker. We owe them a reasonably timely review and I feel embarrassed whenever items stay there for a long item with no activity on our part. It feels like a failure to me.
Counterpoint: No we don't?

This is a volunteer driven open source project with no money involved where the grand majority of developers are at a hobbyist level or lower, No one's entitled to anything here.
Don't beat yourself up over it, we do what we can with the time we're willing to invest into the things we find fun and/or interesting. That's all any of this is.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #267311

You hurt the project when you dick around with someone else's personal time. That causes people to leave and get angry. At that point it would literally be better to just automerge things and not have a review process at all since it would do more harm than good.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #267796

honestly, the best solution is to just encourage people to self-close their wip things if it ends up taking more time before its ready so they can self-open them once its ready.

When you add the stale tag, specify "I'm going to close this in so and so hours if it has no substantial commit activity, you are encouraged to close it yourself before then so that you can open it yourself when it is ready" or some other shit.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #268459

I agree completely with this, but have you considered allowing more feature PRs if they fix something that takes some effort to fix?
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #269774

Unglobaling this since the other maintainers appear to have no appetite for it
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #286527

Raising this again because it's still a huge issue in that some days I can merge 21 or more pr's and we still barely stay on top of the tracker.

I would suggest both this + requiring a fix for every feature pr made (developer making a pr is responsible for pointing to the fix pr)
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #287746

I forgot to answer to this. But it would be reasonable to have this. Last time we attempted it worked out fine in the beginning.
Cyberboss
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Cyberboss
Github Username: Cyberboss

Post by Cyberboss » #326492

After this pitiful freeze (1000 -> 927 issues even while pruning old, non-issues) I'm going to see about implementing something for this into tgstation-server with a configurable rate limit. We have tons of bugs but no motivation to fix them. Hopefully this gives regular coders the kick in the ass they need in order to do so.
iamgoofball wrote:
oranges wrote:That adds a lot of bookkeeping overhead MrStonedOne

Besides the only people who can really delay a PR are maintainers
yes but maintainers don't want to take the fall for a PR that seems unpopular because 3 people spammed 200 comments
The only opinions I adhere to are maintainers, headmins, atlanta, and MSO. If I'm not merging it, it either A) sucks in my eye B) failed code review C) failed travis D) looks to complex/big/unknown for me to review it atm. Also the bookkeeping is easy with an automatic database.
Last edited by Cyberboss on Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #326516

What
Cyberboss
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Cyberboss
Github Username: Cyberboss

Post by Cyberboss » #326555

ImageImage
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #326655

kevinz000 wrote:personally i'd hate this because i make shitcode and shitfeatures and have like 3 stale memes open
but in the end this would be a good change to make that stuff not happen :^)
Ohhh mmmyyyyyyy whaaaaateeeevvveeerrr willl we dooooo

Real talk, irritating but agreeable, but i would like there to be some room to negotiate however on additional PR's if there is a good enough reason or its related to the first in a directly conjoined way. Get permission in IRC coderbus?

Spoiler:
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #326760

fwoosh you never do shit don't jab at me reeeeee