Race Specific Clothing

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Race Specific Clothing

Post by cedarbridge » #275485

Is there currently a var or similar flag for clothing/wearable items that is used to designate that it can be only worn by a certain type of mob?

Example: Plasmaman suits only fit plasmamen.

I haven't looked yet but I presume that the special lizard feet use an exclusion instead of an allowance for shoes.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Race Specific Clothing

Post by PKPenguin321 » #275503

slope
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
MrEousTranger
Byond Username: Mr.EousTranger

Post by MrEousTranger » #275510

cedarbridge wrote: Example: Plasmaman suits only fit plasmamen.
NOT OKAY

I once killed a plasma man target as traitor, stole his suit
And equipped a voice changer and impersonated him the entire round... untill I accidently blew up chemistry and died, but none the less. This idea would ruin great situations like this.

EDIT: shit sorry realized this wasn't the ideas forum, move along
One person on this planet wrote:Wow you're funny and original Eous
I don't play often but when I do I'm Kyp Astar normally a sec role unless I'm bored and go assistant.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #275528

PKPenguin321 wrote:slope
poor traction
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #275560

nothing currently exists afaik
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #275613

There is a system I highly discourage using for making sprites look different on specific races (look at boxing shorts) but nothing that locks clothing to a race.

I really discourage that kind of mechanic though.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #275660

I asked a coding question and gave an example of how it would work. I didn't say the example is what I'm doing. Cripes.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #275673

this man fucks birds
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #275700

oranges wrote:this man fucks birds
Fake news
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #275720

Alternative is that if you wear a piece of clothing not intended for your characters species that you get a message in your text screen telling you how uncomfortable the suit/whatever is, and you suffer a minor movement slow down.

Otherwise, I disagree with restricting clothing options to race.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #276940

it's hard enough to imitate certain races as it is
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #276949

cedarbridge wrote:
I asked a coding question and gave an example of how it would work. I didn't say the example is what I'm doing. Cripes.
Pay attention, this is the coding forum, not ideas. This thread is not about an idea it's a question about how to do a code thing.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #276961

Thunder11 wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
Pay attention, this is the coding forum, not ideas. This thread is not about an idea it's a question about how to do a code thing.
It's getting annoying how no one is reading these posts, this isn't "should we add race specific clothing?"

It's "is there a method in the code for race specific clothing?"
Limey wrote:its too late.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #277016

Possibly a flag or list var in each species datum with clothing they can wear. Such as FIT_LIZARD flag that would be given to both Ashwalkers and station lizards. FIT_PLASMAMAN for plasmamen, etc. Clothing would have this same var. So, if someone wants to wear a certain suit, you check that the mob's fitting flag matches at least one flag on the item. Example: For a miner suit: fittings = FIT_HUMAN|FIT_LIZARD would let lizards and humans wear it, but NOT any species lacking a FIT_HUMAN or FIT_LIZARD flag. You can also do a list, such as fittings = list("human", "lizard").
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #277055

Gun Hog wrote:Possibly a flag or list var in each species datum with clothing they can wear. Such as FIT_LIZARD flag that would be given to both Ashwalkers and station lizards. FIT_PLASMAMAN for plasmamen, etc. Clothing would have this same var. So, if someone wants to wear a certain suit, you check that the mob's fitting flag matches at least one flag on the item. Example: For a miner suit: fittings = FIT_HUMAN|FIT_LIZARD would let lizards and humans wear it, but NOT any species lacking a FIT_HUMAN or FIT_LIZARD flag. You can also do a list, such as fittings = list("human", "lizard").
/vg/ uses a VOX_SHAPED and GREY_SHAPED in roughly the same way as that.

Alternatively to excluding equips by those lacking the flag, I'd think it might be interesting to make a two part notice. "The strange suit doesn't fit you very well!" and "<name>'s suit doesn't seem to fit poorly." It still lets you wear the disguise, but (like real disguises made up on the spot) its imperfect. I presume something like that could also be done with the same flags?