Upcoming Pseudo Freeze

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Upcoming Pseudo Freeze

Post by onleavedontatme » #301111

This freeze will start in ~2 weeks. Things that will be accepted during this freeze

-Bug Fixes

-Refactors

-Improvements to civilian systems or gameplay or new features that you can use while not an antagonist without getting banned

Things that won't be accepted

-Balance changes (there can be incidental balance changes from otherwise acceptable PRs, but no "I buffed tasers" or "I nerfed eswords")

-New antagonist toys/types/etc

-New civilian stuff that can't realistically be used without being an antagonist or using it on an antagonist.

The freeze will last 1-2 months.

Hoping for input from other project members on finalizing the details in this.
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Re: Upcoming Pseudo Freeze

Post by Bawhoppennn » #301114

Please be active so you can force through PRs that rework systems that people will get upset about changing
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #301115

tl;dr it's an antag content freeze.
私は完璧
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #301116

XHIUS READD SLINGS ALREADY YOU DON'T EVEN NEED CONVERSION REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #301131

tbh this should be indefinite
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #301150

bandit wrote:tbh this should be indefinite
The reason we are at the top of the ss13 community is because we change
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #301171

oranges wrote:
NO CHANGE REEEEE
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #301206

oranges wrote: we are at the top of the ss13 community
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #301209

you know we are danno, we're the top and everyone is our bottom
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #301235

oranges wrote:
That's like calling China the top country
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #301265

Bawhoppennn wrote:
oranges wrote:
That's like calling China the top country
We're the number one innovator
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #301288

Only thing I don't understand is how "No balance" is supposed to coherently relate to "Non-antag features".

A lot of the drastic balance shit has been """"indirect"""" results of features being added/removed/changed.

If I started work on the Engineering ship and beacon to summon it, or the repair vehicles and the factory to create them, would those be closed due to their balance implications?

Bawhoppennn wrote: That's like calling China the top country
Except we're not usually on the hub trying to attract the largest mass of players possible. People come here for a reason.
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #301307

Oldman Robustin wrote:
Except we're not usually on the hub trying to attract the largest mass of players possible. People come here for a reason.
Okay that's not what I meant but that's not even really true either

CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #301366

Not really sure why balance changes are excluded.

There are a lot of simple tweaks in numbers that could improve the game.

IMO the problem is that balance changes are way less rewarding due to the fact that there is an above 50% chance of everyone shitting on your PR, while new antag toys are basically always accepted.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #301367

Can we please have a freeze which also freezes refactors? As far as I can tell the main reason we didnt really lose any issues overall last freeze was because of dozens of poorly-implemented refactors that left more bugs in the game because >what is a test
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #301369

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Can we please have a freeze which also freezes refactors? As far as I can tell the main reason we didnt really lose any issues overall last freeze was because of dozens of poorly-implemented refactors that left more bugs in the game because >what is a test
But refactors (when done right) while be extremely worth it in the long run.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #301384

They're hardly done right
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #301399

How would you know? You don't contribute, you don't see or interact with the fruits of the refactors.
私は完璧
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #301405

Changes nothing.
In a perfect world you, an end user, wouldn't notice anything, that's actually in the definition of the word refactor (atleast with it's meaning within programming circles)
However this is not a perfect world, so all we have are the functional improvements, which again, you can't comment on as you never come into contact with them.
私は完璧
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #301414

Like that time shuttles broke.

Or the time window breaking broke

Or the time pointing was persistent

Sure were swell improvements
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Rockdtben
Site Admin
Byond Username: Rockdtben
Github Username: Rockdtben

Post by Rockdtben » #301422

Kor wrote:This freeze will start in ~2 weeks. Things that will be accepted during this freeze

-Bug Fixes

-Refactors

-Improvements to civilian systems or gameplay or new features that you can use while not an antagonist without getting banned

Things that won't be accepted

-Balance changes (there can be incidental balance changes from otherwise acceptable PRs, but no "I buffed tasers" or "I nerfed eswords")

-New antagonist toys/types/etc

-New civilian stuff that can't realistically be used without being an antagonist or using it on an antagonist.

The freeze will last 1-2 months.

Hoping for input from other project members on finalizing the details in this.
So I can keep working on this yes? https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10967
Custom Software Solutions, Mentorship, and game development ----> Main Site
Game Master: 03/24/2022 - Now || Domain Holder: 04/15/2014 - 03/24/2022 || Code Project Lead: 02/01/2014 - 10/07/2014 || G-Admin: 12/29/2013 - 04/04/2015 || T-Admin: 3/29/2013 - 12/29/2013 || Codermin: ? - 3/29/2013 || Started Playing: 6/13/2006 || "Took no shit from shitters" - MrStonedOne
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #301446

D&B wrote:Like that time shuttles broke.

Or the time window breaking broke

Or the time pointing was persistent

Sure were swell improvements
Or that time all snowflake damage code was rewritten into one global system meaning it was no longer unmaintanable

Or that continuing effort to replace the garbage gamemode code with antag datums so we can actually mix antags and stuff.
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #301451

goofball is actually in the right this time
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #301466

He stole my posting gimmick from four years ago
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #301483

Remie Richards wrote:Changes nothing.
In a perfect world you, an end user, wouldn't notice anything, that's actually in the definition of the word refactor (atleast with it's meaning within programming circles)
However this is not a perfect world, so all we have are the functional improvements, which again, you can't comment on as you never come into contact with them.
bugs are unintentional, you can complain about testing/etc. but I don't see why that has to cause a freeze on refactoring
Limey wrote:its too late.
bandit

Post by bandit » #301492

Remie Richards wrote:Changes nothing.
This goes both ways. Speaking as an admin who constantly has to answer ahelps with "it's a known bug," coders who never come into contact with the end result of the "improvements" in-game should not comment.

admin feedback pls
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #301493

XD
私は完璧
bandit

Post by bandit » #301517

OK but the click code refactor, to take one example, has resulted in a lot of ahelps along the lines of "I can't interact with _______" resulting in actual round issues. One issue recently was wanted posters being unable to be removed, causing a lot of unnecessary shit with security due to a bug

admin feedback pls
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #301519

Actually most interaction bugs are the fault of Cyberboss' Initialize() stuff, not the clickcode rewrite, which was minor in scope.
I figured you'd know that since you fixed one yourself? (Ian)
私は完璧
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #301520

Rockdtben wrote: So I can keep working on this yes? https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10967
Yeah
bandit

Post by bandit » #301524

Remie Richards wrote:Actually most interaction bugs are the fault of Cyberboss' Initialize() stuff, not the clickcode rewrite, which was minor in scope.
I figured you'd know that since you fixed one yourself? (Ian)
yeah initialize(), is what I meant

admin feedback pls
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #301751

Will removals/reverts be allowed? They were allowed during the regular freeze. I don't want to see clockcult stay for 2 more months because the poll ran for 2 weeks and the freeze kicked in before it could be removed.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #301771

I'd rather allow reverts but prevent removals, last freeze we saw balance changes pass due to being technically code removals, like removing telescience.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #301776

I just realized that clockcult removal will be grandfathered in regardless because it was opened before the freeze, duh
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #302138

Oldman Robustin wrote:Only thing I don't understand is how "No balance" is supposed to coherently relate to "Non-antag features".

A lot of the drastic balance shit has been """"indirect"""" results of features being added/removed/changed.

If I started work on the Engineering ship and beacon to summon it, or the repair vehicles and the factory to create them, would those be closed due to their balance implications?
Also I'm pretty sure it can alter balance massively, it just needs to be in the spirit of actually improving the game, hence why he said no "buff eswords & nerf tasers" type of balance changes.

AnturK
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Anturke

Post by AnturK » #302208

Sounds good, about as far as we can realistically go in defining development direction.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #302212

God antur why are you the chinese hive man from alpha centauri you just spooked me so hard.
私は完璧
AnturK
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Anturke

Post by AnturK » #302220

I'm preparing mentally for moving the code into recycling vats. (Also played it recently)
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #302222

AnturK is looking to the future of coderbus, a hive mind under one person's whim.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #302227

my whim.
私は完璧
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #302294

Remie Richards wrote:my whim.
Oranges whim

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #303474

Juiced
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #303475

Now have you seen what happens to people who cross me?
私は完璧
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #303476

Now have you seen what happens to people who cross me?
私は完璧
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #303485

Now have you seen what happens to people who post the same thing twice?
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #303502

Xhuis wrote:Now have you seen what happens to people who post the same thing twice?
Yes, the people who point it out get juiced
it's my mouse, it manages to hit the button twice really quickly (check out the vidya threads, I just did it thrice!) and I guess phpBB doesn't delay clicks.
私は完璧
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #303520

Remie Richards wrote:Now have you seen what happens to people who cross me?
:oops: :cry: :? :( :o :shock:
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #305574

>No warning about the specific start time for the freeze
>Both this thread and IRC had misleading times for the freeze start

I'm pretty fucking salty about this, why do it like this when our last freeze was specific down to the minute about when it would start.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #305641

Oldman Robustin wrote:>No warning about the specific start time for the freeze

I'm pretty fucking salty about this, why do it like this when our last freeze was specific down to the minute about when it would start.
>literally one of the few exceptions to the freeze
>is complaining about the freeze starting despite being exempt
Spoiler:
I mean you might have a point but I thought it was funny
Limey wrote:its too late.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #305684

Oldman Robustin wrote:>No warning about the specific start time for the freeze

Specific date means that people would rush to PR their unfinished stuff to bypass grandfather clause. It's better this way. See: Trump's travel ban.