RD Tech Web Bounty

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Re: RD Tech Web Bounty

Post by Gun Hog » #324529

Bottom post of the previous page:

FantasticFwoosh wrote:Image

Meanwhile the experimentor just pales out of existance as science's local assisted suicide by fireball malfunction machine because everybody forgets its limited function of converting strange objects into tech giving doo-dads.
Or its actual purpose: A murderous DA that has the chance to let you scan an item twice for the full tech benefit, scan it once to destroy the item but still give you tech, or destroy the item and give you nothing. Say I kill an Op for his super high illegal and combat tech weapon. Since nothing Science makes using the tech is as awesome as the gun itself, I can pop it in the E.X.P.E.R.I-Mentor and then try to scan it for those sweet tech levels, but KEEP the gun. The risk I am taking is of course that the machine might eat my gun and try to kill me at the same time. I can mitigate that risk somewhat by wearing one of the suits in the lab that matches my experiment type and also upgrading the machine. Even then, I still might be blown up or middle fingered, but HEY, I enjoy taking the chance.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #324559

It's definitely overcomplicated if we're going to go with that as its purpose. You could put a high-risk scan option in the classic DA to fill that niche, and give the room to something more deserving.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #324570

Its also unbalanced to be the equivalent of strange mutagen for scientists to just run to the end of a tech tree/unrealistic tech tree for one type of tech in that regard Gunhog, a balancing issue that just going through the normal processes in our current setup gets you to end level, and the round's progression will be stunted because you can ONLY recieve boards to make things from tech relevant boards (simple things like computers etc to more complex machinery) besides the fact that you can just wipe all the tech in 10 seconds then have to build up your lengthy amount of points again if i've read it right.
  • In my opinion, we should phase out strange objects for instead having one of a kind/alternative objects spat out via the experimentor then upload those designs when they are found onto design disks to port back to the main RnD.
  • Or/and keep the experimentor around as the "poke enough around for a unique interaction" machine by having certain malfunctions queued up by the type of object that has been inserted, roburger for instance created from posibrains etc. There's already other threads around in the ideas suggestion board to take influence from via a simple search check
Im holding out for a excuse to make RnD longer by broadening material tech past level 7 and perhaps exploiting our unused magic technology levels (in code) for some interesting stuff via unobtainium like adamantine. Whether this tech web interferes with that we'll see.

Spoiler:
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #324605

gee i should finish my shit huh