Aliens or Xenos

How, what and why to code in BYOND.

Should we move away from our current xeno sprites

Yes, we should be concerned about copyright issues (and move to different sprites)
4%
Yes, we should be concerned about copyright issues (and move to different sprites)
4%
4%
No, I do not think that the copyright is a problem
30%
30%
30%

Total votes: 276

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Aliens or Xenos

Post by oranges » #33144

Bottom post of the previous page:

Stop shiptoasting in my thread please.
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #39492

How about we not ruin things people like?
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #39500

RG4 wrote:How about we not ruin things people like?
Oh yes you figured me out, I get off on pissing people off by taking away things they like. That's clearly what this is about and not wider issues like shitty design, poor gameplay, ambiguous legality, or zero creativity or originality put into a fairly major feature.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #40040

paprika wrote:"The vast majority of players prefer it" = "I prefer it because I'm the self-imposed god-king of <thing>"
*cough*
CocaneStyle
Byond Username: CocaneStyle

Post by CocaneStyle » #40072

I like the idea of changing Xenos to something else not because I don't like Xenos or copyright but because I think it's limiting what we can do to them.
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #40300

It's not exactly limiting if we haven't come anywhere NEAR their theoretical limit, and xenos already have a very VERY expandable amount of stuff. Take literally any creature you can think of, apply facehugger, get xeno equivalent. I don't see how that's limiting.
Apparently I was an director or something.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #40805

WJohnston wrote:It's not exactly limiting if we haven't come anywhere NEAR their theoretical limit, and xenos already have a very VERY expandable amount of stuff. Take literally any creature you can think of, apply facehugger, get xeno equivalent. I don't see how that's limiting.
You're literally just copying what Aliens did. Yawn.

Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #40812

I don't care about copyright but I think having our own unique aliens would be cooler anyway, and it's not like ours really live up to the fantasy of the films in the first place.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #40892

generic wizard is totally comparable to specific pop culture alien
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #41399

Half our antag types are direct pop culture references, as is a good amount of our non-antag content. It is part of SS13, and I don't see why coders feel the sudden urge to purge it all. If they keep it up, we won't have much of a game left by the time they are done.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #41401

Jacquerel wrote:generic wizard is totally comparable to specific pop culture alien
The last panel is literally the name for the summon guns event.

You will not escape the references.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
LNGLY
Byond Username: LNGLY

Post by LNGLY » #41436

There is absolutely zero reason any lawyer would bother with this place unless he was bored. No one mistakes 'tgstation 13' for an official Alien game, which is what is the concern when these lawsuits arise.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #41976

Saegrimr wrote:
Jacquerel wrote:generic wizard is totally comparable to specific pop culture alien
The last panel is literally the name for the summon guns event.

You will not escape the references.
the file is literally called that, too.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #42147

I think the poll speaks for itself :roll:
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #42207

MisterPerson wrote:
WJohnston wrote:It's not exactly limiting if we haven't come anywhere NEAR their theoretical limit, and xenos already have a very VERY expandable amount of stuff. Take literally any creature you can think of, apply facehugger, get xeno equivalent. I don't see how that's limiting.
Its SS13. Most of the stuff in this game is a copy of something else. There are references and stolen ideas all over this game.

Aliens are fun. People enjoy the game mode. Unbalanced? They have been nerfed a fair bit in the last year. People say they are OP in melee, well maybe thats because they are antags designed around the idea of being badass in melee combat. People complain that they overrun the station too easily, well maybe thats because idiot lemmings feel the need to run into the infested area and get themselves facehugged. Aliens thrive in situations where the station acts idiotic and feeds them hosts, which is a common thing.

Its a fun mechanic that a majority of the playerbase enjoys. It shouldve been made into an official game mode and added to the normal rotation a long time ago. Unfortunately the coders do not care enough to do the work, which is fine.

There isnt gonna be an issue with copyright. Even if there was, i doubt they would take it very far, and you would be given time to replace the sprites. I see no reason to change them because a few paranoid coders.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #42413

Alex Crimson wrote:
MisterPerson wrote:
Its SS13. Most of the stuff in this game is a copy of something else. There are references and stolen ideas all over this game.

Aliens are fun. People enjoy the game mode. Unbalanced? They have been nerfed a fair bit in the last year. People say they are OP in melee, well maybe thats because they are antags designed around the idea of being badass in melee combat. People complain that they overrun the station too easily, well maybe thats because idiot lemmings feel the need to run into the infested area and get themselves facehugged. Aliens thrive in situations where the station acts idiotic and feeds them hosts, which is a common thing.

Its a fun mechanic that a majority of the playerbase enjoys. It shouldve been made into an official game mode and added to the normal rotation a long time ago. Unfortunately the coders do not care enough to do the work, which is fine.

There isnt gonna be an issue with copyright. Even if there was, i doubt they would take it very far, and you would be given time to replace the sprites. I see no reason to change them because a few paranoid coders.
aliens would suck if it was a gamemode that happened every day. they're sort of broken and dont really work that well, they're just fun because they dont happen that often so when they do, it's fun because it doesnt happen often! which is completely fine, really.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #42570

I don't think anyone was attempting to claim xenomorphs weren't popular. No no, they're the artistic equivalent of this: