Testmerging seems to be a PITA for everyone

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Testmerging seems to be a PITA for everyone

Post by Oldman Robustin » #387921

Testmerging is an extremely valuable tool but the way its utilized right now is awful.

On the maintainer/headmin side its the source of a relentless stream of begging/nagging. Then if something goes wrong it's another flurry of messaging to get someone to take it down.

From the coder side its horribly underutilized. The coder has almost no idea when or where its been testmerged unless they're there personally lobbying for it (and even then they might miss it if they don't hear back immediately). Its incredibly disruptive to workflow when you're sitting around with nothing to do but can't progress until testing, then when testing is finally done you're working on something else and have to drop everything to address issues while they're still fresh and witnesses are around to describe what went wrong. More commonly, stuff just gets merged with little to no testing, the coder can never predict when the merge is going to happen, then you get a litany of bugs that would've been caught during testing and now the coder either has to drop everything and fix them or buggy code just sits around because reality called and the coder has shit to do.

I think everyone agrees that more feedback is likely to yield a better final product, coders are much more incentivized to polish up their work if theres reported bugs/complaints sitting in an unmerged PR rather than sitting in an 1,100 item issue list with a vague title. What can we do to improve this process? Could it be automated based on "test merge candidate" tagging and limited + scheduled test windows? Can we give ordinary admins the ability to remove test merges so that testmergers don't feel like they have to babysit a test merge if something goes wrong - or alternatively, if they don't babysit the test, so that we can remove broken test PRs?
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Re: Testmerging seems to be a PITA for everyone

Post by D&B » #387932

Can't you host your own server for 15 minutes to test it
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Selea
Byond Username: Serpentarium

Post by Selea » #387948

sometimes you can't find all the bugs yourself.Some will occur only on server with many people.
But test merge shedule will be a thing.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #387981

D&B wrote:Can't you host your own server for 15 minutes to test it
obviously but many bugs or balance changes can't be found or fully tested by yourself
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #388008

I wish admins had more guidance on testmerged PRs so we can specifically skew the round to test whatever needs to be tested.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #388060

I test extremely thoroughly but there's shit that you just won't catch alone.

Like my Box Update shit itself last Friday over canvases. I added persistent art, during local testing I had made several pieces and they saved/loaded just fine.

Then it went live and after the mime found out he could immortalize his work he went and did some complex canvas art and suddenly nobody could even look near the art gallery without their client going into permacrash.

I rushed some fixes (mostly removing canvases from the box update) but its been 5 days and I still haven't been able to test it further.

Its also other shit like "the shutters you put in to secure something can be broken with a mere fireaxe" that testing helps reveal. Often its a lot of general feedback too, UI stuff, little things that work as intended but people have impressions/suggestions that let you refine them. Like I said coder motivation to make their code as appealing as possible is at its PEAK during the inaugural PR, you're much likely to see minor improvements then than waiting for a merge and then hoping someone cares enough to open a feedback thread/PR/issue explaining where your code falls short.

After the Box update I want to work on Techwebs, which is still missing basic features,but im already giving me PTSD flashbacks to waiting around IRC for weeks trying to find someone to testmerge. Even during the test that revealed CRITICAL issues with canvases, I had to repeatedly beg Cyberboss who finally gave in with "I'm going to regret this".

That's basically where things stand. I'm going to lose another week of coding at this rate just waiting for another testmerge.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #388086

150 hours of testing lol
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #388087

This should get better next term, current headmins are all busy or burned out. We lost a key holder when Shadowlight got deadminned as well.

MSO is also slowly trialing giving remote to all maintainers.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #388088

Kor wrote:This should get better next term, current headmins are all busy or burned out. We lost a key holder when Shadowlight got deadminned as well.

WHEN
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #388093

oranges wrote: WHEN
Can't you stay satisfied being heir apparent for both headcoder AND host, should either Kor or MSO leave for whatever reason?
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #388126

Kor wrote:This should get better next term, current headmins are all busy or burned out. We lost a key holder when Shadowlight got deadminned as well.

>maintainers
>not gamemasters
grumble
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #388142

PKPenguin321 wrote:

>maintainers
>not gamemasters
grumble
we actually know what we're doing
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #388198

I like the idea of a schedule for test merge slots instead of just "whenever someone feels like it for however long they feel like it". At the very least ping the coder to tell them their testmerge is up or something
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #388268

Not really feasible for anything that depends on the interaction of multiple people.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #388307

oranges wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:

>maintainers
>not gamemasters
grumble
we actually know what we're doing
Oh shit
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #388333

Don't see why Gamemasters couldn't as long as a maintainer threw up the test merge candidate tag (and assuming we use that tag appropriately).
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #388540

automated would have to use a snapshot of a pr, rather than directly, otherwise >get scheduled for testmerge >put in code that makes you god emperor headmin and disables the ban system before the system actually testmerges but after it's marked for testmerging >wreak havoc with your evading friends
see why only certain people can testmerge and only manually now?
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #388605

Cant you just make tags auto remove if another commit is made
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #388688

Test merge candidate tag is nice, but it merely states that a maintainer thinks the thing needs to be test merged, it doesn't speak to rather or not anybody has actually reviewed the code to confirm its worthy of test merge. This is why it hasn't been too helpful at getting something test merged.

Maintainers have to be the ones who sign off on test merges, there isn't any other way, and unless maintainers stop slapping that tag on prs until they review them, the tag can't be a way of signing off on a test merge.

So until i bring all the maintainers in on test merges, I'd like to see coders stop going to headmins/key holders with test merge requests and instead go to maintainers with them, maintainers can then handle going to key holders with prs to test merge after they've reviewed the code.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Selea
Byond Username: Serpentarium

Post by Selea » #388690

why not just testmerge up to last marked commit commit?git allows very advanced code version juggling.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #388718

They're going straight to the keyholders because we're ignoring 99% of peoples requests anyway, the fact that the keyholders aren't telling them to get lost is their problem, way to many people are treating the test merge system like it's there to help them find bugs, instead of being there to get feedback and balance issues.
ninjanomnom
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Ninjanomnom
Github Username: ninjanomnom

Post by ninjanomnom » #399471

As of a couple weeks ago most if not all maintainers have testmerge access now
Narcissistic stuff others said/made for me
Spoiler:
Cyberboss
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Cyberboss
Github Username: Cyberboss

Post by Cyberboss » #401716

This is a lot of future crafting BUT

TGSv4 is currently in the works. The primary draw of it is a complete rewrite of the API to make it much more similar to GitHub's json.

Unlike where only the specialized C# library communicate with the servers, the new web API gives us to the ability to create tools to automate interactions while keeping the layers of approval. For example, the repo bot already automatically removes test merge candidate if a coder changes their PR. It wouldn't be a far stretch to allow the bot to take the maintainer approval and allow the coder to initiate and remove the test merge when it is convenient for them. Something else planned for v4 is a comment attribute to test merges which can communicate intentions to admins while it's on.

This is all a lot of theory crafting though and, given the strict parameters I'm developing V4 with, I don't know when it'll ready for production use.
ImageImage