Replacing firelock/etc electronics

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Replacing firelock/etc electronics

Post by Denton » #408472

Right now we have separate electronics for firelocks/fire alarms/air alarms/airlocks, which are honestly a pain in the dong to maintain.

Does anything speak against replacing firelock/air alarm/airlock circuits with one generic type?
That way coders don't have to make sure every snowflake type is in engineering, in tech storage, in vending machines, the autolathe, techwebs, yadda, yadda
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Re: Replacing firelock/etc electronics

Post by somerandomguy » #408485

Airlock electronics can be used inhand to change access requirments, other than that not really (also merge APC electronics/power control module into it)
Denton

Post by Denton » #408501

Yeah I'd keep airlock electronics separate
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #408788

yes I have many problems with it
Denton

Post by Denton » #408791

oranges wrote:yes I have many problems with it
Please elaborate
RandomMarine
Github User
Byond Username: RandomMarine
Github Username: RandomMarine

Post by RandomMarine » #409413

Patching up a bombing is piss easy with foam grenades or RCDs, but going back and forth between the site and engineering/cargo to fetch power cells/power control modules/airlock electronics/fire alarm electronics/air alarm electronics/firelock electronics/etc etc etc is a total slog.

Could maybe merge airlock electronics and power control modules into id-lock electronics (With the capability of making custom-id locked APCs and lockers?) and all that other bullshit into sensor circuitry.
I also considered an idea of a portable autolathe as a research item (Microlathe?), essentially a scaled-down autolathe that fits in a backpack but is restricted to only the construction, electronics, and stock parts categories. (Fuck no to portable ammo or beaker printing.)
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #409590

I suggested on the github to give wall electronic boards the freezer/heater treatment and make it possible to switch them between different types via screwdriver.

Instead of carrying 1x air alarm/1x fire alarm/1x APC electronics, you carry 3x generic boards that could potentially be 3x air alarms, 3x APCs, 3 fire alarms or any combination of 3 really. I can't see how there could be a problem from a gameplay side of view
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #409661

Anonmare wrote:I suggested on the github to give wall electronic boards the freezer/heater treatment and make it possible to switch them between different types via screwdriver.

Instead of carrying 1x air alarm/1x fire alarm/1x APC electronics, you carry 3x generic boards that could potentially be 3x air alarms, 3x APCs, 3 fire alarms or any combination of 3 really. I can't see how there could be a problem from a gameplay side of view
this seems like a nice compromise, cuts down on item bloat and then maybe people will actually carry around boards to fix shit
Limey wrote:its too late.
RandomMarine
Github User
Byond Username: RandomMarine
Github Username: RandomMarine

Post by RandomMarine » #409689

Anonmare wrote:I suggested on the github to give wall electronic boards the freezer/heater treatment and make it possible to switch them between different types via screwdriver.
The bloat's still there, it just bumps up QoL but there's more potential maintainability issues with screwdriver switching compared to just making a generic board type that the different frames accept with no fuss.

Though either option would make it possible for a savvy engineer to break down a fire alarm to repair a busted APC, something to consider.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #409753

A generic ID lock board sounds ideal considering you have to have the proper machine frame in place first to even use the board. Plus the frames themselves are unique and not a generic box like for computer frames and other machinery. Might need a better name though.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #409979

You could have a bunch of tech satchels in engineering that fit into backpacks that -only- carry simple electronic boards, say 5 of each type.

Prevents engineers from having to play a walking simulator to repair doors and other equipment. Most good engineers carry at least one or two in their box anyways.
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #410669

RandomMarine wrote:
The bloat's still there, it just bumps up QoL but there's more potential maintainability issues with screwdriver switching compared to just making a generic board type that the different frames accept with no fuss.

Though either option would make it possible for a savvy engineer to break down a fire alarm to repair a busted APC, something to consider.
honestly the idea of taking electronics out of noncritical machines to fix a door or something in a pinch sounds fucking sweet
Limey wrote:its too late.