Mapping Wishlist (secret santa pls)

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Mapping Wishlist (secret santa pls)

Post by WJohnston » #47241

While mapping I so very frequently run into things I simply wish had more variables and that I had more control over. I'll compile a list of all the stuff that comes to mind that I really wish were possible to do.

1. Editing the ambientsounds var in areas actually working.
2. Being able to edit SO MUCH MORE about guns, such as what magazine it accepts, the bullet types it uses, what projectiles it fires, how many bullets or shells it has etc. Also being able to have used bullet and shell casings, since I can't do that right now.
3. And this is a big one: Having unethical and morally wrong amounts of power over the contents var. I want to be able to edit in the contents of a box into a backpack inside a bag of holding being worn by a dead guy. Futhermore to have all contents already inside lockers or medkits or whatnot to be readily visible to me in that list for me to edit and mess with.
4. Being able to edit tons more over simple animals. Their movespeed, their attack type (melee or ranged), what they shoot out if it's ranged and potentially how much damage that deals, whether their attacks cause friendly fire or not (determined by factions), the damage multipliers they can take (so for example burn damage hurts extra while brute deals less).
5. Areas to have new variables that control random monster spawning, cave generation, and secret room generation like you can control power, lighting, and gravity already with them as opposed to having the mineral turfs handle that.
6. Completely overhauling how shuttle transits function to being something controlled by IDs in areas (or a similar var). Think of it like this: Have two vars asking if it is a destination or if it is transit. All areas can have their ID var edited so they are linked, and will allow you to move from location to location with a shuttle transit computer. You could now set area A to be a transit area (on centcomm), and B through E to be locations that you can pick with the console. YOU NOW HAVE SHUTTLES IN ANY CONFIGURATION IMAGINABLE. Transit time vars for the computers and ID locks could be added, too.
7. Audio logs in tapes and in tape recorders that I can edit with var editing. Having some simple HTML or something documented someplace that lets me set at what time in a recording a line is said. I want these so bad!
8. Triggerable effects on the map maker like one which plays music with a lot of control over it. Make it repeatedly play or play only once, once per player or really only ever once, give it a cooldown between sounds, connect several by ID so that when one is stepped on, all others turn off (for covering wide areas). Other triggerable effects like teleportation (give me coordinate vars to send players to, the rest I can easily do by myself).

There's a lot more I'm sure to add to this list, but these are a few starting ones.
Last edited by WJohnston on Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Apparently I was an director or something.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: Mapping Wishlist (secret santa pls)

Post by paprika » #47260

This should be in the code forum or the mapping and spriting forum
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Jordie0608
Site Admin
Byond Username: Jordie0608
Github Username: Jordie0608

Post by Jordie0608 » #47265

WJohnston wrote:such as what magazine it accepts; Being able to edit tons more over simple animals. Their movespeed, their attack type (melee or ranged), what they shoot out if it's ranged and potentially how much damage that deals,
These can be done with vars already.
WJohnston wrote:the bullet types it uses, what projectiles it fires, how many bullets or shells it has etc. Also being able to have used bullet and shell casings, since I can't do that right now.
These can't. But you can rather easily use map-specific code files to override existing or define new objects and play around with the vars there (see Ministation).
WJohnston wrote:3. And this is a big one: Having unethical and morally wrong amounts of power over the contents var. I want to be able to edit in the contents of a box into a backpack inside a bag of holding being worn by a dead guy. Futhermore to have all contents already inside lockers or medkits or whatnot to be readily visible to me in that list for me to edit and mess with.
Not being able to edit the contents list with vars from map maker is a BYOND limitation I'm pretty sure; that said you can still do the above or look at the contents list in the code.
WJohnston wrote:whether their attacks cause friendly fire or not (determined by factions), the damage multipliers they can take (so for example burn damage hurts extra while brute deals less). Areas to have new variables that control random monster spawning, cave generation, and secret room generation like you can control power, lighting, and gravity already with them as opposed to having the mineral turfs handle that.
These currently aren't supported by the code, to my knowledge, but probably wouldn't be too hard to implement.
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #47267

Added #6, and will continue to add some as more come to my head. Of course, the way you handle these can be completely different, but this is how I personally hope they work.

Also there really needs to be documentation over what can and can't be done. I guess I'll record some experiments.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #47271

6 is something carn is doing, in a sense
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #47853

I'm pretty sure there are defines called EAST, WEST etc

edit: They don't work on the map?
Intigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by Intigracy » #47889

Last edited by Intigracy on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #47981

oranges wrote:I'm pretty sure there are defines called EAST, WEST etc

edit: They don't work on the map?
My expectation is that if you type WEST into the dir using the map editor, it'll think it's a string of the characters W E S T instead of the proper define. I'll test it in a bit.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #47993

You may have to do [WEST] instead of WEST.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #48783

Audio logs and tape recorder stuff added to the wish list. Pls.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #48805

Neerti's done number 7 before, with var editing, I'm sure he did.
私は完璧
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #49791

Triggerable sound effects pls <3
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #50096

WJohnston wrote:Triggerable sound effects pls <3
I got you covered: https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/6330 :)
私は完璧
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #219353

bump