Custom Keybinds not functioning

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
Bugseatbugs
Byond Username: Molerth

Custom Keybinds not functioning

Post by Bugseatbugs » #569728

I'm trying to set up custom keybindings such as flip and spin. I've set hotkey mode to Hotkeys. Every time I [Unbound] I get the pop up telling me to press anything to set it. I press the desired button and nothing happens. The pop up window stays where it's at and nothing changes. I've tried the [Add Secondary] with the same result. I've uninstalled and reinstalled byond. I've updated IE because that was recommended to try that. I've set everything back to default many times. I've swapped from keybinds to default and saved and swapped back. Nothing is working. I'm set Action Buttons Unlocked and Hotkey mode: Hotkeys.
What am I missing or messing up?
I was recommended to post this in here by an in game admin who attempted to help me with this.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Custom Keybinds not functioning

Post by oranges » #569771

what button are you trying to set though
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #569772

also couple more questions
WHat operating system are you using
Are you using byond on a secondary monitor
Are you clicking on the keybind window before pressing a key
Bugseatbugs

Post by Bugseatbugs » #569813

oranges wrote:also couple more questions
WHat operating system are you using
Are you using byond on a secondary monitor
Are you clicking on the keybind window before pressing a key
I'm trying to set emotes but even trying to set generic functions doesn't work. All other keybinds like X to swap hands function normally though. I just cant change any of them or set a secondary.
I'm on W7. Someone in the other thread also said they had the issue on W10 and another chimed in saying they do not have this issue on W7.
I am clicking on the keybind window before pressing the key
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #569852

the fuck, that's so whack, I don't even know wtf is going on
skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Post by skoglol » #569863

I grabbed your savefile off bagil to try to reproduce it, and it works fine on my machine. Is this the server you were connected to? If so, there doesnt seem to be any server side issues at least, but we could also check the logs if you find a round I you were trying this on.
pubby
Github User
Byond Username: Pubby
Github Username: pubby

Post by pubby » #569911

I've had something similar occur and it's prevented me from playing since the keybinding thing was introduced.

From what I remember, it was 100% broken on one of the servers (basil?) and completely locked me out of inputs, so I couldn't do anything at all. On the other server (sybil?), I could use the default keybindings, but couldn't set new ones.

I'm on linux+wine though and not using QWERTY.
Bugseatbugs

Post by Bugseatbugs » #569935

skoglol wrote:I grabbed your savefile off bagil to try to reproduce it, and it works fine on my machine. Is this the server you were connected to? If so, there doesnt seem to be any server side issues at least, but we could also check the logs if you find a round I you were trying this on.
Yeah I'm on Basil. All other keybinds that are normally set function just fine. I'm just unable to rebind any of them.
Bugseatbugs

Post by Bugseatbugs » #569936

pubby wrote:I've had something similar occur and it's prevented me from playing since the keybinding thing was introduced.

From what I remember, it was 100% broken on of the servers (basil?) and completely locked me out of inputs, so I couldn't do anything at all. On the other server (sybil?), I could use the default keybindings, but couldn't set new ones.

I will try this on Sybil and see if I'm able to set keybinds. So far default keybinds have always worked

Edit: Tried setting new keybinds while on sybil. Nothing. Same pop up window and it still doesn't accept any new keys. Clicked on the window, nothing.
skoglol

Post by skoglol » #569941

Very likely to be a local issue then. Grasping at straws here but try alternative methods of input, i.e. on-screen keyboard.
Bugseatbugs

Post by Bugseatbugs » #569943

skoglol wrote:Very likely to be a local issue then. Grasping at straws here but try alternative methods of input, i.e. on-screen keyboard.
Just tried this. Nope. I'm so confused. I guess I'm just going to get used to typing them in!
Thanks all of y'all for trying!
PepperPrepper
Byond Username: Iwanttocookyouanicemeal
Github Username: PepperPrepper

Post by PepperPrepper » #569961

Just out of interest what kind of keyboard do you use / what is your keyboards language set to? (in windows) I might be remembering wrong but I recall having issues with non US keyboard layouts.
Bugseatbugs

Post by Bugseatbugs » #570004

PepperPrepper wrote:Just out of interest what kind of keyboard do you use / what is your keyboards language set to? (in windows) I might be remembering wrong but I recall having issues with non US keyboard layouts.
Das Keyboard and it's set to english
PepperPrepper
Byond Username: Iwanttocookyouanicemeal
Github Username: PepperPrepper

Post by PepperPrepper » #570015

Bugseatbugs wrote:Das Keyboard and it's set to english
Keyboard should be fine then. Grasping at straws here but it could be an IE bug. Do you have any other issues with any of the UI windows?

Never mind that, I read your other thread. Could you try the following:
1. Try a different keyboard
2. Try an on screen keyboard
2. Try setting bindings on a local server. Guide on setting up one: 3. Reinstalling your keyboard drivers
4. Change your system language to US. (Even if you think you've it's set to US i would go through and check) I hate linking tech websites but:
skoglol

Post by skoglol » #570048

pubby wrote:I've had something similar occur and it's prevented me from playing since the keybinding thing was introduced.

From what I remember, it was 100% broken on one of the servers (basil?) and completely locked me out of inputs, so I couldn't do anything at all. On the other server (sybil?), I could use the default keybindings, but couldn't set new ones.

We could force a savefile reset for you if resetting hotkeys to default in preferences isnt working. There has been some improvements to how we handle the defaulting, so would likely sort it and make it playable.
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #570149

works fine for me on bagil
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Bugseatbugs

Post by Bugseatbugs » #570259

PepperPrepper wrote:
Bugseatbugs wrote:Das Keyboard and it's set to english
Keyboard should be fine then. Grasping at straws here but it could be an IE bug. Do you have any other issues with any of the UI windows?

Never mind that, I read your other thread. Could you try the following:
1. Try a different keyboard
2. Try an on screen keyboard
2. Try setting bindings on a local server. Guide on setting up : 3. Reinstalling your keyboard drivers
4. Change your system language to US. (Even if you think you've it's set to US i would go through and check) I hate linking tech websites but:
1. I don't have another keyboard to try sadly
2. I've tried on screen keyboard and it didn't yield any different results.
3. I will try this when I have the time but it may be a little bit
4. Just re installed them and nothing changes.
5. I have swapped this around and still nothing.

I'm just ganna get used to typing them out at this point sadly. It's not a huge issue but it seems I'm stuck with it.
pubby
Github User
Byond Username: Pubby
Github Username: pubby

Post by pubby » #570330

skoglol wrote:We could force a savefile reset for you if resetting hotkeys to default in preferences isnt working. There has been some improvements to how we handle the defaulting, so would likely sort it and make it playable.
Make it happen my good man and I'll test it.
skoglol

Post by skoglol » #570904

Defaults will be qwerty, if you give me a nudge once you are online on a server I can edit your move keys manually. I've asked someone to do it, let you know when its done.