Vekter's booze overhaul thread

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Vekter's booze overhaul thread

Post by Vekter » #67767

I've been fiddling around with the booze system over the last few days. Here's what I've got so far:

* Added shot glasses. 15 unit small glass designed for quick drinks. Functionally identical to a normal drinking glass, except that shots can be mixed in them. Mostly for flavor. (15 is a lot for a shot glass, but this way you can still mix shots in them without having to use a shaker.)
* Ported over the B-52 and the Toxins Special to mix properly in a shot glass. Makes sense as they're both sprited as shots.
* Added the functionality for us to start actually putting more shots into the game. I want to start adding more drinks/booze, so this lets us get more ~thematically correct~ with certain drinks. Stupid easy to add this, so if there are any shots/drinks that aren't in the game that you guys wanna see, post 'em.
* Added a new vodka variant. Can only be found in the safe and in a secluded area in maint (Hint: The RD's known as a bit of a boozehound...)

I'm up for suggestions for other fixes/additions.
Last edited by Vekter on Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Re: Vekter's booze tweaks

Post by Bluespace » #67772

I'm not sure if you're able to, but i'd love to have beneficial uses for drinks.
3 shots of vodka? You'll bleed out faster but you won't feel the pain, you'll be sprinting even with large amounts of brute.
Downing a toxins special? After you get over the vomit, your body can now process toxins at a small rate!
Nuke ops rampaging and the bar is the only place not on fire? Down those manly dorfs to get absolutely shitfaced while your fists do more damage.
I play Boris Pepper.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #67774

We used to have a few drinks that produced useful chems when imbibed (Doctor's Delight gave inaprovaline, IIRC), but they got stripped when goonchem got implemented.

I'd like to see this come back in some form, but I don't know about them actually giving you buffs. We'll see closer to when they finish balancing goonchem.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

M0nsoon
Byond Username: ShadowHunterOO

Post by M0nsoon » #67777

Bluespace wrote:I'm not sure if you're able to, but i'd love to have beneficial uses for drinks.
3 shots of vodka? You'll bleed out faster but you won't feel the pain, you'll be sprinting even with large amounts of brute.
Vodka should be used to reduce radiation.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #67793

Can you raise alcohol tolerance some? As is two sips of whiskey gets you right hammered. This is bullshit, as mostly just drink whiskey straight and i can down a few small glasses before i feel a good buzz. I also weigh 120 pounds so my tolerance is far from optimal.

I also wonder if you might consider porting bay drunkspeech. They have a system for slurring words rather than stuttering. This is nice because in real life NO ONE EVER STUTTERS EXCLUSIVELY WHEN THEY ARE DRUNK. Literally no one. Muh immulsions ect.

Whether you take my suggestions or not i am so glad you are working on this, i have been calling for better alcohol biz since the NT days
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #67800

Wyzack wrote:Can you raise alcohol tolerance some? As is two sips of whiskey gets you right hammered. This is bullshit, as mostly just drink whiskey straight and i can down a few small glasses before i feel a good buzz. I also weigh 120 pounds so my tolerance is far from optimal.

I also wonder if you might consider porting bay drunkspeech. They have a system for slurring words rather than stuttering. This is nice because in real life NO ONE EVER STUTTERS EXCLUSIVELY WHEN THEY ARE DRUNK. Literally no one. Muh immulsions ect.

Whether you take my suggestions or not i am so glad you are working on this, i have been calling for better alcohol biz since the NT days
This is something I can definitely look into. I can probably just tone down all the booze in general. I think the idea is that we don't really want it at a realistic level (everything's generally scaled down from RL) but it's kinda silly how little you have to drink to get sloshed.

As for bay drunkspeech, I'll let a more experienced coder handle that.
Spoiler:

AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #67806

Vodka USED to reduce radiation (oddly, at my request), but if Goonchem fucked this bit up as well, I'd like to humbly request that it be fixed, please.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #67812

I'll look at the code and see if it still does that.
Spoiler:

lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #67816

Lots of drinks did cool things before goonchem. For example most people know doctor's delight healed the main 4 damage types really well, but most people didn't know that it's juice ingredients (orange, cream, tomato and lime) each healed one of those damage types seperately.

Also yeah, NT had more reasonable alcohol levels, and stuttering in general is pretty awful. What kind of alcoholic stutters?
Someone should make people stutter when really cold though.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #67844

Goof says vodka should still reduce radiation, but he's unsure about everyything else. DD's healing being removed was a balance issue.

E: The numbers across the board for boozepwr (the variable that effects how strong alcohol is) are pretty high. I'm gonna see if we can't make it take more booze to make you more drunk tomorrow morning. I need sleep now.
Spoiler:

QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #67850

A bit of a silly request, but it'd be great/hilarious if tequila specifically gave you the message "You don't feel drunk at all!" while still having all the effects of being drunk.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #67853

Funfact!

Code: Select all

datum/reagent/consumable/ethanol/on_mob_life(var/mob/living/M as mob)
	if(!data)
		data = 1
	data++
	M.jitteriness = max(M.jitteriness-5,0)
	if(data >= boozepwr)
		if (!M.stuttering) M.stuttering = 1
		M.stuttering += 4
		M.Dizzy(5)
	if(data >= boozepwr*2.5 && prob(33))
		if (!M.confused) M.confused = 1
		M.confused += 3
	if(data >= boozepwr*10 && prob(33))
		M.adjustToxLoss(2)
	..()
	return
tl;dr Drunkenness is coded as RNG! We'll try toning down the chance a bit. The only other thing I think we could do would be to recode the entire thing to be based on how much booze of what boozepwr is in your system, but I don't know if that'd be very effective.

As for slurring vs stuttering, I'll need to do a good bit more legwork for that one. We'll poke into that in a bit in the morning.

E: All the code for the extra effects booze had beforehand is still here and working. The only thing that was removed was the DD healing proc.
Spoiler:

Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #67880

Please make it not RNG.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #67882

I'm considering ways to do that. I have no idea how to go about it aside from basically just keeping track of how much booze is in someone's system and running it off of that.
Spoiler:

DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #67895

As far as fixes go, I do believe Neurotoxin (the drink, not the goonchem) can no longer be mixed. Please confirm?
Last edited by DemonFiren on Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #67896

Alcohol needs to give you actual fucking alcohol poisoning. Being able to literally chug down an entire keg of beer and entire fifths of beer within a 30 minute time frame should absolutely fuck me up.
/vg/station Head Admin
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #67897

mrpain wrote:Alcohol needs to give you actual fucking alcohol poisoning. Being able to literally chug down an entire keg of beer and entire fifths of beer within a 30 minute time frame should absolutely fuck me up.
Let's just port Bay's liver mecha...nope.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #67899

mrpain wrote:Alcohol needs to give you actual fucking alcohol poisoning. Being able to literally chug down an entire keg of beer and entire fifths of beer within a 30 minute time frame should absolutely fuck me up.
Not a fan of this. Most booze doesn't give you any kind of advantage, so why add a disadvantage on top of another one?
DemonFiren wrote:As far as fixes go, I do believe Neurotoxin (the drink, not the goonchem) can no longer be mixed. Please confirm?
I'll take a look. If the reagents are gone I'll make up a new recipe.

E: Note to self, make sure all the drinks that require tequila are working since the name fix.
Spoiler:

DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #67906

Noticed that sleeptox evaporates on mixing. That might be the issue.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #67935

QuartzCrystal wrote:A bit of a silly request, but it'd be great/hilarious if tequila specifically gave you the message "You don't feel drunk at all!" while still having all the effects of being drunk.
+1 to this idea, it is friggin hilarious
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #67969

So i'm guessing bebesky smash doesn't knock you out almost instantly anymore? Cause that was always hilarious in watching people drink that.

It also be nice if the Pan-galatic gargleblaster made you scream "AHHHHH!" or give a knock down for every few sips you took. I mean goldbrick with a lemons gota hurt a little bit right?
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #67974

Beepsky Smash's stun isn't related to the drunkenness proc, it's an actual function of the drink.

Gargleblaster already applies like five different effects when you drink it, I'd rather that than you just getting stunned like Beepsky.
Spoiler:

Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #67985

Beepsy smash doesn't knock you out, it paralyses you so you cannot move or use items
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #67994

Wyzack wrote:Beepsy smash doesn't knock you out, it paralyses you so you cannot move or use items
This, it doesn't "knock you out", it's an actual STUN. It's equivalent to getting hit with a stunbaton.

You used to be able to scan Smash with the Odysseus' syringe gun and fire it at people for ranged bullshit stuns. Not too sure if that still works or not.
Spoiler:

Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #67999

Bug i think, shot glasses turn back to regular drinking glasses after use but retain their 1ou max volume. Can we also somehow make it so when you drink from a shot glass you get all 10u at once rather than needing to take two sips?
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #68006

I fixed that last night, should be merged with the booze changes tonight.

As for the drinking thing, I'll look into it.
Spoiler:

Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #68015

Violaceus wrote:Just chage default transfer amount to 10, so people can still drink it in parts if they want to.
It doesn't matter IIRC, transfer amount isn't tied into the drinking rate (so you can't hurl down 100 units in one go).

E: There seems to be a way to fuck with gulp_rate on a per-drink basis, lemme see if that pans out. Also Danno is working on improving Bay's slur for us to use.
E2: Yeah, I think I got a full shot working now. Sweet.
E3: https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/7635 PR merged, should be in game tomorrow providing SoS updoots.
Spoiler:

Iceb3rg
Byond Username: Iceb3rg

Post by Iceb3rg » #68116

Thats nice and all... buuut when can we start adding shots to guns and shoot them in our own mouths?
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #68199

Vekter wrote:
Wyzack wrote:Beepsy smash doesn't knock you out, it paralyses you so you cannot move or use items
This, it doesn't "knock you out", it's an actual STUN. It's equivalent to getting hit with a stunbaton.

You used to be able to scan Smash with the Odysseus' syringe gun and fire it at people for ranged bullshit stuns. Not too sure if that still works or not.
Last i checked, odyseus syringe gun was completely broken by goon chem.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #68365

So when that PR went live/got merged, I noticed a few drinks became 'only mixable in shotglasses' or something. This makes no sense in that
A: IRL there's nothing physically stopping you from doing so in a normal glass/beaker/paper cup or whatever (evenif it might look shit)
and
B: Ingame can't you just mix it in a shotglass thne put it in another container anyway?

Edit: And someone needs to sprite a drink called the holy hand grenade - containing holy water and some other shit, heals the chaplain like banana honks for clowns.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #68366

lumipharon wrote: Edit: And someone needs to sprite a drink called the holy hand grenadine
ftfy
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #68371

lumipharon wrote:So when that PR went live/got merged, I noticed a few drinks became 'only mixable in shotglasses' or something. This makes no sense in that
A: IRL there's nothing physically stopping you from doing so in a normal glass/beaker/paper cup or whatever (evenif it might look shit)
and
B: Ingame can't you just mix it in a shotglass thne put it in another container anyway?

Edit: And someone needs to sprite a drink called the holy hand grenade - containing holy water and some other shit, heals the chaplain like banana honks for clowns.
So maybe I worded things poorly. You can still mix a b-52 in a regular glass, but it'll show up as a glass of hooch. Remie suggested I do that to prevent issues later with the code, but I'm okay with reverting that change.

Technical terms: I removed the sprite change from glasses when you pour either a B-52 or a Toxins Special in them. You can still mix the drink in those glasses (and in fact, I think you have to use a glass or a shaker to mix a Toxins Special because it's 20 units), but the sprite won't change, it'll just be a "glass of hooch".

I'll talk to the other coders and see if there's any negative to leaving that functionality in.
Spoiler: