Code bounty: Printable Portraits

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
carshalash
Byond Username: Carshalash

Code bounty: Printable Portraits

Post by carshalash » #598185

Basically, I want there to be a way for portraits to be printable/orderable in some method. Traz did something somewhat similar with AIs being able to change their core sprites to portraits, as shown here
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/53994

Preferably it would be something tied in with the library book ordering system, if there is a better method you can think of then go ahead.

Payment will be $20 probably, I don't know if this is reasonable or not so if you want to discuss it go ahead.
carshalash

Re: Code bounty: Printable Portraits

Post by carshalash » #600266

Alright, it's been a month. Bumping this up to $30 to hopefully entice people.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #600270

Fine, i'll do it tomorrow if nobody does it first. I was meaning to awhile back but I just kinda forgot

but please be a tiny bit more specific on what you want the portraits to be and how you want to obtain them
carshalash wrote:Preferably it would be something tied in with the library book ordering system, if there is a better method you can think of then go ahead.
The better method I suggest is literally any other method (hell, even a new machine for it), the library book ordering system is REALLY bad. Like, I'm pretty sure that code is 100% off limits unless you're fixing up the endless code issues or removing it entirely for a better system
carshalash

Post by carshalash » #600273

Honestly, printing them from anywhere is fine. I just want a system of sort where you can print premade portraits that can be hung up in places.

I thought of cargo order for a bit but then I realized it would probably be too difficult, so some sort of computer or machine that can look through the servers portrait database and print/manifest things people have made would be neat.

Thank you arm <3
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #600276

Ok... I was pretty bored so its up minus the mapping and some js https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/59146. I went with modular console in the hopes that at some point in the future we move more of the curator's billion machines into programs on the console, though book management has comments wailing about its power level since 2012 so I'm not sure who is gonna go for that.
carshalash

Post by carshalash » #600278

Sweet, Rave pointed out that there is a chance that portraits may get duplicated when put in the library portrait area if they're already in the database. Think this will be an issue?
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #600279

I may have to plan around this but my first thought is not letting printed canvases count as something that should be added to the database. All the icons get converted into md5s which should mean the same icon will always make the same md5 so maybe I should be checking for dupe portraits in persistent saving instead
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #600319

For what it's worth there's already issues with portraits getting duped, as you can see on statbus. I know it can be done by moving a persistent painting to a different category but occasionally it seems like some paintings also get saved in the same category more than once, I do not know why.

It would probably be for the best if any portrait loaded from persistence was automatically ignored during saving
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #600325

Mickyan wrote:For what it's worth there's already issues with portraits getting duped, as you can see on statbus. I know it can be done by moving a persistent painting to a different category but occasionally it seems like some paintings also get saved in the same category more than once, I do not know why.

It would probably be for the best if any portrait loaded from persistence was automatically ignored during saving
Not a bad idea at all, but this is all bandaid for what I should really be doing which is making a list of md5s in the sspersistence and only allowing the first instance of md5 to exist
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #600348

Just for clarification: We're talking about paintings, right?
► Show Spoiler
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #600349

Farquaar wrote:Just for clarification: We're talking about paintings, right?
Yeah.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #600481

I love public art!
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW: