Coding Bounty - Botany trait bug fix

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
bean_sprout
Byond Username: Barber_Ferdinand

Coding Bounty - Botany trait bug fix

Post by bean_sprout » #600447

Edit: Seems no one is interested, and I don't want to keep checking back in the event someone randomly decides to take it, so I'm closing the bounty.
Last edited by bean_sprout on Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Re: Coding Bounty - Botany trait bug fix

Post by XDTM » #600455

From a cursory look the bug is caused by the liquid contents proc qdeleting the object before it has the chance to process the prickles signal on impact.
A quick patchwork solution would be to simply add a tiny delay to the qdel() call to allow for all signal reactions to go through, while a more comprehensive fix would probably involve a refactor that allows signal registrations to set their priority for cases like these (unless something like this already exists). It'd be up to maintainers to decide if the first solution is acceptable or not.

I'd make the fix myself, but i'm not familiar with bitcoin so i wouldn't be able to claim the bounty anyway
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
bean_sprout
Byond Username: Barber_Ferdinand

Re: Coding Bounty - Botany trait bug fix

Post by bean_sprout » #600458

Yeah, what you describe seems to be the more fundamental problem. I had talked to a couple people, who seemed to think that the core problem would be more of a pain to fix. MrMelbert in particular pretty much came up with what is outline in my initial post as an easier alternative.

I would of course be fine with the core problem being fixed, but I'm not sure how big of a job it would be and how that would effect the expected payout. If anyone has an interest in it, though, let me know and we might be able to work something out.