[Claimed]: Timid mutation for kudzu

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
bean_sprout
Byond Username: Barber_Ferdinand

[Claimed]: Timid mutation for kudzu

Post by bean_sprout » #653143

Edit: Bounty claimed.

Kudzu's git page: https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/ ... acevine.dm

I would like to offer a code bounty of $50(negotiable) for the creation of a 'timid' mutation for kudzu. I'm reachable via this topic, PM, or discord at Zee Tee#5010.

Normally, kudzu will randomly buckle mobs as well as cover up computers/machines/tables/mobs/random items on the ground. This can be really annoying and prevents the creation of truly beneficial kudzu. The 'timid' mutation I have in mind is one that would prevent the qualities described previously, i.e. the random mob buckling and existing on a layer above things people need to interact with. As far as the layer, I was thinking about something similar to how the alien weeds the xenos plant exist in, although I'm not code savvy enough to know if a direct comparison is feasible.

Other details for the 'timid' mutation would be a quality of POSITIVE, a severity of MINOR, and a light greyish hue color hex code(A4A9AC as a possible example). Also, under ideal circumstances, it shouldn't mess up the function of the other mutations or alter how kudzu is normally supposed to spread, etc.

Additionally, to make room for this new mutation on beneficial builds, the severity of the already existing 'temperature stabilization' trait would be reduced from AVERAGE to MINOR.

Why It's Good For The Game
Although it is currently possible to ensure only positive mutations are present in kudzu, the inherent qualities of buckling mobs and existing on a higher than average layer make it annoying to the point of antagonism, even when meant to be a benefit to the station. By making a mutation that restricts these behaviors, it will be possible to make truly beneficial kudzu that people won't lynch botany for spreading(maybe). It also slightly nerfs harmful kudzu by introducing the possibility of a mutation that would make it less of an obstruction to the crew.

In regards to the severity reduction to the 'temperature stabilization' mutation, it isn't a very noteworthy mutation in the first place, and this minor adjustment would help the new mutation fit in with current severity limits.