What’s the “Checklist” for creating Ghost Roles?

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
Epicgamer545
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Epicgamer545

What’s the “Checklist” for creating Ghost Roles?

Post by Epicgamer545 » #658828

I’m looking forward to making maps designed around Icebox, but I’m a bit confused about /how/ to actually make one. I have no idea what files to touch and how I should edit them. Should I edit jobs.dm? Should I create a outfit? I see the listening station ghost role not creating a outfit for the agent, so what’s the deal?
Epicgamer545
J. Howard, microcelebrity & ExOS
game admin - I am still a admin, please subject me to 4 hours of tickets
► Show Spoiler
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Re: What’s the “Checklist” for creating Ghost Roles?

Post by san7890 » #658868

Something that's always helped me whenever I'm tackling a new type of mapping project is thinking what mechanics I want to use in my map (like ghost role spawning), and then looking at an example of that in already existing maps. You seem to already have done that with the Syndicate Agent. If you're wondering about the outfit for the syndicate listening station, in specific, it doesn't need to apply a new outfit because it's a subtype of /obj/effect/mob_spawn/ghost_role/human/lavaland_syndicate/comms (the one you see on Lavaland)

This means that since that above type is the parent of the space listening station /obj/effect/mob_spawn/ghost_role/human/lavaland_syndicate/comms/space, it'll automatically assume the outfit of the "comms" type as a subtype. We override some of the behavior on initialize for the space subtype (like deleting the spawner entirely depending on RNG.
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
Epicgamer545
In-Game Admin

Post by Epicgamer545 » #658897

san7890 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:33 am Something that's always helped me whenever I'm tackling a new type of mapping project is thinking what mechanics I want to use in my map (like ghost role spawning), and then looking at an example of that in already existing maps. You seem to already have done that with the Syndicate Agent. If you're wondering about the outfit for the syndicate listening station, in specific, it doesn't need to apply a new outfit because it's a subtype of /obj/effect/mob_spawn/ghost_role/human/lavaland_syndicate/comms (the one you see on Lavaland)

This means that since that above type is the parent of the space listening station /obj/effect/mob_spawn/ghost_role/human/lavaland_syndicate/comms/space, it'll automatically assume the outfit of the "comms" type as a subtype. We override some of the behavior on initialize for the space subtype (like deleting the spawner entirely depending on RNG.
Oh, alright, I see now.
Epicgamer545
► Show Spoiler
Epicgamer545
In-Game Admin

Post by Epicgamer545 » #658898

I’m having a hard time of seeing a example of a straight up ghost role being created. I have seen some made in like, 2021, but they use files that are outdated (https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/ ... da21513371). There is listening station, one that was recent but that was more a rework and I fear I may be missing something that is not changed. Is there any PRs or files I can look at for ghost role examples?
Epicgamer545
► Show Spoiler
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #659045

i dunno i dont' think the backend has changed that much, only thing i can think of being important is https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/ ... YCONFIG.md
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.