How, what and why to code in BYOND.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Bans That Apply Quirks

Post by RaveRadbury » #661066

This has been approved by head coders.

Add quirk bans as an option in the banning panel.

Applying a quirk ban will cause all of a ckey's characters to have that quirk placed on them on spawn.

Implementation will require that the system can adjust to new incoming quirks (a dropdown or something that populates? idk)
Be sure that multiple concurrent quirk bans are possible

This is a headmin bounty, it pays in antag tokens on merge.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Re: [Headmin Bounty]Bans That Apply Quirks

Post by RaveRadbury » #661187

I've had some discussions on the discord so I'm providing additional info:

These bans are intended to act as a new step in-between notes and server bans. Currently we have problematic behavior that cannot be addressed by a specific ban like OOC bans or job bans. Generally I'd assume that most players would prefer to play the game with some aspects locked out or made more difficult rather than being unable to play on the server at all. Quirk bans will provide this opportunity.

Additionally, it is pretty well-known that burnout and getting banned tend to go hand-in-hand. It is my hope that these bans could place players in circumstances in which they need to engage in more co-operation with other players. This added socialization can strengthen social bonds and hopefully help people find more fun in engaging crew and therefore help reduce burnout.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #661583

you know this already since i believe we agreed on it but for the record this adds no additional obligation for maintainers to keep around quirks used as bans
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Time-Green
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Time-Green

Post by Time-Green » #661587

Give permanent quadruplegic quirks to people that steal wheelchairs
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #661592

Mothblocks wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:53 am you know this already since i believe we agreed on it but for the record this adds no additional obligation for maintainers to keep around quirks used as bans
Ah, yeah, that should probably be written down here.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #667775

It's not up to me, but I'm definitely not coding this as I'm really not a fan of cruel and unusual punishment for players. Historically, some of the most egregious abuse came from admins picking on players and screwing with them with admin toys. Making the game nearly unplayable with forced quirks would fall under that category
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #667779

Armhulen wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:53 pm It's not up to me, but I'm definitely not coding this as I'm really not a fan of cruel and unusual punishment for players. Historically, some of the most egregious abuse came from admins picking on players and screwing with them with admin toys. Making the game nearly unplayable with forced quirks would fall under that category
Goin like "you will roleplay, I'll crush all your other options" also smells real wrong and I don't like it (That's our job)
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #667811

Armhulen wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:53 pm It's not up to me, but I'm definitely not coding this as I'm really not a fan of cruel and unusual punishment for players. Historically, some of the most egregious abuse came from admins picking on players and screwing with them with admin toys. Making the game nearly unplayable with forced quirks would fall under that category
cruel and unusual punishment treats the game like the video game it is and not a legal system

this is a killer idea, it's tg soul and it'll have the intended effect rave wants, it's genius

stop playersimping
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #667821

Stickymayhem wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:02 pm
cruel and unusual punishment treats the game like the video game it is and not a legal system

this is a killer idea, it's tg soul and it'll have the intended effect rave wants, it's genius

stop playersimping
And I'm sure it will get done, just not by me
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #667861

Armhulen wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:53 pm Making the game nearly unplayable with forced quirks would fall under that category
Having pacifism doesn't make the game unplayable. People opt-in to quirks, it's an existing system that offers challenges and players enjoy. It's a nudge and it keeps people from eating a server ban.

Also the approval really only lasts for this term and I'd be hesitant to set something up like this and foist it onto the new term. So who knows if it'll be an option in the future.