What can we do to prepare for the next tide?

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Re: What can we do to prepare for the next tide?

Post by Shadowflame909 » #664888

Bottom post of the previous page:

is it best to show new players a slow green shift, or a hyper chaotic wizard or nukie round?
► Show Spoiler
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #664892

ekaterina wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:22 pm
Epicgamer545 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:42 pm if we already have active Admins to handle that type of help.
... do you? Often, there are either no admins or the admin that is on does not know the answer.
When you ahelp for help with game mechanics, generally how satisfied are you with admin response?
rasonj wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:49 pm I also was too afraid to use the ahelp button for mechanic issues back when it matter most, a separate button would have done wonders for me when I was new.
Having a mechanic help button might be interesting, even if it's functionally the same it could have a psychological benefit.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #664910

RaveRadbury wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:26 am
ekaterina wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:22 pm
Epicgamer545 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:42 pm if we already have active Admins to handle that type of help.
... do you? Often, there are either no admins or the admin that is on does not know the answer.
When you ahelp for help with game mechanics, generally how satisfied are you with admin response?
While one could read this and assume it proves admins adequately cover mechanics questions, there are a few issues with it.

1. Most new players probably don't ahelp when they have game mechanics questions to begin with, since it seems sort of extreme and it's assumed the ahelp button is for serious problems.

2. Most new players probably don't bother voting in the polls, while more dedicated experienced players do, so the sample sized is skewed towards players that are already familiar with the mechanics. These players might ask a super niche question now and again but aren't the target audience really.

3. If you never receive an admin response, that doesn't necessarily mean you're dissatisfied in the admin response. It just means the admin response doesn't exist. So people who ahelp with mechanics questions and don't get an answer probably aren't going to vote low because of that.

4. Even if people receive an admin response and the admin has no idea, that itself is an adequate response for most people, particularly if the admin is friendly, and it won't cause players to vote low.

A "mentor help" button would be a very useful idea, regardless of whether admins are the mentors IMO, it would at least overcome the psychological issue. And then there'd be data on how many go unanswered.
Spoiler:
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #664964

if you renamed "admin help" in the escape menu to just "get help" i would want to seeh ow much that solves
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #665150

Mothblocks wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:51 am if you renamed "admin help" in the escape menu to just "get help" i would want to seeh ow much that solves
wyci
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #665230

rasonj wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:49 pm I also was too afraid to use the ahelp button for mechanic issues back when it matter most, a separate button would have done wonders for me when I was new.
Yeah, that's what I was trying to explain
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #665282

Cobby wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:53 pm
Mothblocks wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:51 am if you renamed "admin help" in the escape menu to just "get help" i would want to seeh ow much that solves
wyci
thgeres a freeze
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #665492

Mothblocks wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:55 am
Cobby wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:53 pm
wyci
thgeres a freeze
wyciatf
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #667840

In Japan when you first obtain a driver's license, you are required to place this mark on both the front and back side of your vehicle for one year. Drivers who consider themselves beginners may continue to display the sign, even after the period of a year
Having PDAs of new players having that icon when examined, and having an icon of it next to their PDA messenger name could indicate that a player is a novice.
We could have another icon, which indicates that someone is an experienced player, and is willing to act as a mentor or answer new player questions.
Instead of Adminhelping out of character, we can have players PDAing one another in character
Mice World
Byond Username: Mice World

Post by Mice World » #667842

Helios wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:09 am Image
In Japan when you first obtain a driver's license, you are required to place this mark on both the front and back side of your vehicle for one year. Drivers who consider themselves beginners may continue to display the sign, even after the period of a year
Having PDAs of new players having that icon when examined, and having an icon of it next to their PDA messenger name could indicate that a player is a novice.
We could have another icon, which indicates that someone is an experienced player, and is willing to act as a mentor or answer new player questions.
Instead of Adminhelping out of character, we can have players PDAing one another in character
We essentially already have this. New players get intern (job) on their ID cards. Example: Intern Engineer.
It keeps getting worse!?
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #667843

Nono, they saying for advanced players, not new ones.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
Mice World
Byond Username: Mice World

Post by Mice World » #667845

vect0r wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:43 am Nono, they saying for advanced players, not new ones.
I was responding to this:
Helios wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:09 am Having PDAs of new players having that icon when examined, and having an icon of it next to their PDA messenger name could indicate that a player is a novice.
I probably should've snipped the quote better, but oh well.
It keeps getting worse!?