I've decided to get into coding

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
LEtranger135
Byond Username: Tohg7.

I've decided to get into coding

Post by LEtranger135 » #663617

๐˜ช ๐˜ฎ๐˜ข๐˜บ ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฐ๐˜ต ๐˜ฃ๐˜ฆ ๐˜จ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ข๐˜ต ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ด, ๐˜ด๐˜ฐ ๐˜ช'๐˜ท๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฃ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ธ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ข๐˜ฃ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ต ๐˜ธ๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ต ๐˜ค๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ญ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ฃ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ด๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜บ ๐˜ช๐˜ด๐˜ด๐˜ถ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ง๐˜ช๐˜น ๐˜ง๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ ๐˜Ž๐˜‰๐˜—? ๐˜ช'๐˜ท๐˜ฆ ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ด๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฃ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ธ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ข๐˜ฃ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ต ๐˜ธ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฃ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ฃ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ญ ๐˜ฃ๐˜ข๐˜ต "๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ง๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ๐˜ค๐˜ต" ๐˜ค๐˜ฐ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๐˜ช๐˜ต ๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ฆ ๐˜ธ๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ค๐˜ฉ ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ฎ๐˜ด ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜ธ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฃ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ต๐˜ถ๐˜ณ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ฃ๐˜ฆ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ถ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ ๐˜ช ๐˜ฑ๐˜ญ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ช๐˜ฎ๐˜ฑ๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ท๐˜ฆ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ต ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ค๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ช๐˜ค ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฃ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ค๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฑ๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฃ๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ฉ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ธ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ฎ๐˜ด.
๐˜•๐˜ฐ ๐˜–๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ ๐˜—๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ค๐˜ถ๐˜ญ๐˜ข๐˜ณ. ๐˜ˆ ๐˜ค๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฎ๐˜ถ๐˜ฏ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜บ ๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ฌ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜บ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ, ๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฑ๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ต ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ด๐˜ช๐˜ฎ๐˜ช๐˜ญ๐˜ข๐˜ณ ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜”๐˜ฆ๐˜ถ๐˜ณ๐˜ด๐˜ข๐˜ถ๐˜ญ๐˜ต ๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ฉ ๐˜ข ๐˜ฑ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ด๐˜ช๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ.
Mice World
Byond Username: Mice World

Re: I've decided to get into coding

Post by Mice World » #663662

Anything with the "Good First Issue" label shouldn't be too hard to fix.

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/ ... st%20Issue
It keeps getting worse!?
Arcanemusic
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ArcaneMusic

Re: I've decided to get into coding

Post by Arcanemusic » #664538

Nobody started out good at this, so welcome aboard. :)

A good place to start, as you get comfortable with DM and with SS13 coding is to start breaking down parts of the code you're really familiar with. For me personally, I distinctly recall basically deconstructing stun baton code when I started out, since I had played enough security and enough of the game to know the mechanics behind stun batons inside and out. They turn on (In attack_hand), they stun you (in attackby), and they have a power cell that they have to manage. If you know what something does, you can work your way to where it lives in the code, and eventually find where it happens, and you'll learn a lot about the "how" and they "why" along the way.

A good trick for your baseball bat question, load up a local copy of the code, go and reflect something with a baseball on the local side, and find the chat message that goes off when you reflect. That's your first thread you can use to find the specifics on how that all goes down. Feel free to ask any questions as well in the tg discord #coding-general or in the coderbus server.

Cheers!
I Broke: Economy, Hydroponics, Trading Cards, Mice, Civilian Bounties, the BEPIS, Techwebs, Newscasters, and MORE EVERY DAY