[Cheridan] ban on github

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
ACCount

[Cheridan] ban on github

Post by ACCount » #80698

I got banned on github for making stungloves pull request. Fornoreasons.

I made a pull for adding rebalanced stun gloves back. Cheridan insta-closed (in ~30s) it without any discussion or testing.
https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/8781

I made another one because even joke pulls and shit pulls are not closed that fast, without any discussion or such. Cheridan closed it too, not instant but still too fast.
https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/8782

So i made issue about Cheridan closing pulls left and right for no reasons.
https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/issues/8783
And got a ban from Cheridan. On github. For no reasons. I didnt even know github bans exist!

Then i got a ban in #coderbus on my main IP.
--- Cheridan has banned *!*@3569C2FA.F8C6A749.A7E7A03C.IP
*** ACCount was kicked by Cheridan (Try the forums)
So i'm trying forums now. Unban me, deadmin Cheridan.

I'm not sure why Cheridan is such a dick. Maybe he hates stungloves, maybe he hates russians, maybe he hates critique, maybe it's because he is a head coder. Alltogether i think.
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Re: [Cheridan] ban on github

Post by Cheridan » #80703

Hmm, maybe it has to do with your constant belligerence in IRC, bypassing an issue closure, and making a buttbaby joke 'issue' and going on calling me a shitty broken dickhead.

Maybe it has to do with that.

It's probably that.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Jeb
Byond Username: Stapler2025

Post by Jeb » #80705

Yes coderbus, let's ban all the fucking coders that do things for us.
Guy that made a thing that got put on the homepage of /tg/station13
Defeated in the Great Purge of 2014
[Security] Fiz Bump says, "Beats me, I'm not a scientist. But this is a problem that can be solved with harmbatons."
Johnson Fitzwell asks, "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?"
Aranclanos
Byond Username: Aranclanos

Post by Aranclanos » #80707

good ban
I accept donations, click here
fartman

Post by fartman » #80711

Jeb wrote:Yes coderbus, let's ban all the fucking coders that do things for us.
lol salty
fartman

Post by fartman » #80712

actually wait lol how come you care about this coder that does things for you but you bitch and whine about the other coders that do things for you :roll:
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #80720

You got told several times by project authorities that the concept was flawed and could not be integrated as a crew it. Like, several times on several occasions, having given multiple reasons. You kept making new PRs and acting like a shit in IRC. I don't see how you're at all surprised by this outcome.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #80727

I'm just gonna point that, that when i did the exact same thing but with reverting one of paprika's removals, i got the exact same response.

I got banned from coderbus, i got banned from the github, and i had to beg for my access back.

I'm the fucking forums host, and even i got that treatment. You want to know why? because when you decide to bypass somebody closing your pr, no matter how stupid you think them doing it was, by opening another, you leave them no choice but to prevent you from bypassing their authority with a block.

I'll agree with you that instacloses are shit, but i'll also agree with coderbus that when people spam your github, you block them.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #80729

>MisterSpamOne against spamming
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #80750

Oh, fuck off with that bullshit.

If you closed a thread of mine I made, and I then immediately remade that thread with a snarky insult at you, wouldn't you ban me for bypassing your thread closure?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #80763

Was there an appropriate warning before doing this? I.e if you keep creating PR's you'll get github banned.

If not we need to formalise the process
Jeb

Post by Jeb » #80787

iamgoofball wrote:
Oh, fuck off with that bullshit.

If you closed a thread of mine I made, and I then immediately remade that thread with a snarky insult at you, wouldn't you ban me for bypassing your thread closure?
Nope. I'd rethink the decision of closing the initial thread in the first place. Besides, for the most part, not many threads here get closed aside from FNR forums.

In all seriousness, banning contributors from the github is detrimental to the project at large, when the entire situation could have been avoided by saying "Sorry, but we removed stungloves for a reason so we're going to deny this PR" or by simply leaving the PR open for discussion rather than instaclosing it.
[Security] Fiz Bump says, "Beats me, I'm not a scientist. But this is a problem that can be solved with harmbatons."
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #80789

Jeb wrote:In all seriousness, banning contributors from the github is detrimental to the project at large, when the entire situation could have been avoided by saying "Sorry, but we removed stungloves for a reason so we're going to deny this PR" or by simply leaving the PR open for discussion rather than instaclosing it.
Did you even read the rest of the thread?
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Jeb

Post by Jeb » #80791

Ricotez wrote:
Jeb wrote:In all seriousness, banning contributors from the github is detrimental to the project at large, when the entire situation could have been avoided by saying "Sorry, but we removed stungloves for a reason so we're going to deny this PR" or by simply leaving the PR open for discussion rather than instaclosing it.
Did you even read the rest of the thread?
Sure did, thanks for your input.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #80792

Jeb wrote:...the entire situation could have been avoided by saying "Sorry, but we removed stungloves for a reason so we're going to deny this PR"...
That was exactly what happened.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Jeb

Post by Jeb » #80793

MisterPerson wrote:
Jeb wrote:...the entire situation could have been avoided by saying "Sorry, but we removed stungloves for a reason so we're going to deny this PR"...
No, what happened from how I comprehend it was it was instantly closed with a vague reasoning basically saying "stungloves are shit, no".
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #80796

There was a conversation in IRC where it was explaining very clearly that stungloves were not coming back.

Konork
Byond Username: Konork

Post by Konork » #80807

Jeb wrote:
MisterPerson wrote:
No, what happened from how I comprehend it was it was instantly closed with a vague reasoning basically saying "stungloves are shit, no".
Cheridan in the first PR wrote:Not balanced for a crew item, can't be disarmed, examined, etc.
That's actually not all that vague. It could go into more detail, but I think those are probably some of the bigger issues.
ACCount

Post by ACCount » #80820

oranges wrote:Was there an appropriate warning before doing this? I.e if you keep creating PR's you'll get github banned.

If not we need to formalise the process
There wasnt any warning about "stop spamming pulls or you'll get github banned" in both pulls. Or maybe i was distracted by the sounds of Saiga 12 firing and didn't hear anything.
MisterPerson wrote:There was a conversation in IRC where it was explaining very clearly that stungloves were not coming back.
I rewrited stungloves code from scratch using non-snowflakey Click() features (snowflakes everywhere in code was one of the reasons to remove stungloves), then asked in IRC why stungloves are bad. Most of responses were "THEY ARE JUST SHIT SHIT AND CANNOT BE FIXED EVER". I listened to other responses and rebalanced stungloves to make them less shit. I made a pull. But then some coder closed my pull without even looking at it, without any discussion or such. Why don't close it after discussion?

This is not even about stungloves, are they shit or not, this is about instaclosing pulls, banning fornoreasons and being dick. I got some unfinished PRs i can't finish because i'm banned, and this is really shitty.

And stop editing my Github posts, you dick. They are mine.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #80831

What did you think was going happen?

"Oh, he reopened the pull request! He means business, we'll have to listen to him now!"

ACCount

Post by ACCount » #80835

I thought that gloves-hater would fuck off and leave my pull there for at least 24 hours, as it normally happens.
Konork
Byond Username: Konork

Post by Konork » #80836

I'm pretty sure the biggest strike against stun gloves is that they're a weapon that goes in one of your equipment slots instead of in your hands. Which means that literally the only way you could add stun gloves in a balanced way would be to not make them gloves, which kind of negates the whole point.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #80846

Instant PR closes are shit but like, this is an obvious consequence of reposting the same PR multiple times and then making a "you suck" PR
literally the exact same thing would happen on the forum, that's not how you should conduct yourself on the internet
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #80887

This is why all auhority is shit. You are all biased and incompetent. No man is fit to lead their fellow man. Had this issue been settled democratically, none of this drama would have occured.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #80888

deathhoof wrote:This is why all auhority is shit. You are all biased and incompetent. No man is fit to lead their fellow man. Had this issue been settled democratically, none of this drama would have occured.
2edge4me
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #80902

MrStonedOne wrote: I'm the fucking forums host, and even i got that treatment.
well yeah why would anyone get special treatment
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
danno

Post by danno » #80903

also what the fuck is an "instant PR close" in relation to a "delayed PR close"
420weedscopes
Byond Username: 420weedscopes

Post by 420weedscopes » #80914

danno wrote:also what the fuck is an "instant PR close" in relation to a "delayed PR close"
instant is instant
delayed is delayed

stun gloves (this is to my memory, at least) were initially removed because they were incredibly OP, and nobody could think of a way to make them not so at the time. headmins eventually decided to remove it and it was declared to be an all-around Bad Thing
mods please edit this if my memory fails me
Check out Phoenix Bucket!
TheWiznard wrote:jmad you read a book out loud to no one for two hours
original fanart by TheWiznard http://i.imgur.com/TTd3AFt.jpg
MORE http://i.imgur.com/335AGAS.jpg
danno

Post by danno » #80934

I mean what is the functional difference. If it's going to be closed, why does it matter if it's closed right away or closed a bit later?
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #80951

I think people like to have 24 hours of false hope
ACCount

Post by ACCount » #81049

24h of disscussion, to spot weak points, fix someting, etc. That's why 24h pull rule is here i think.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #81051

The 24 hour pull rule is meant to allow people from all time zone's to be able to see and comment on a PR before it can be merged. This is so you should not have to worry about something big/bad/broken being merged just a hour after you logged off.
Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #81100

It should still be discussed though. Stungloves as perhaps a traitor item or some other workaround could be good.
danno

Post by danno » #81111

ACCount wrote:24h of disscussion, to spot weak points, fix someting, etc. That's why 24h pull rule is here i think.
you can still comment on a closed PR. there is functionally no difference between closing it now or closing it later.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #81229

For a forum mod you sure can be a shithead.

It's pretty obvious when someone just sidesteps being told no by opening an identical PR what needs to be done. You would encourage this? If someone created a thread that you had to lock or delete you would reconsider your position when they just opened another identical thread?

You must be terrible at this.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #81251

deathhoof wrote:This is why all auhority is shit. You are all biased and incompetent. No man is fit to lead their fellow man. Had this issue been settled democratically, none of this drama would have occured.
Please don't shitpost on a thread that is ostensibly about serious business. If you took this kind of crap in FNR your kebab would have already been removed, whether or not you're being serious.
RIP
Jeb

Post by Jeb » #81268

An0n3 wrote:
For a forum mod you sure can be a shithead.

It's pretty obvious when someone just sidesteps being told no by opening an identical PR what needs to be done. You would encourage this? If someone created a thread that you had to lock or delete you would reconsider your position when they just opened another identical thread?

You must be terrible at this.
Thanks for your opinion.
ACCount

Post by ACCount » #81399

danno wrote:you can still comment on a closed PR. there is functionally no difference between closing it now or closing it later.
You cannot comment on PR if you cannot see it. And nobody ever views closed PRs list.

You cannot comment on PR if you are banned too.
Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #81880

Phalanx300 wrote:It should still be discussed though. Stungloves as perhaps a traitor item or some other workaround could be good.
Like I tried to explain to him, I'm more than fine with stungloves as a traitor item (or just going wholehog and porting powergloves).
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #82396

He stated the conversation wasen't about stun gloves, it was about the fact that you closed his post without anyone seeing it, which is pretty fucking shitty. I can suggest we give everyone pulse rifles on round start, a shitty idea, but a shitty idea doesn't need to be insta-locked-deleted-hated-on, debate it out people, this isent 4chan where people make a shitty post and get tons and tons of comments saying "ur mah gurd u post ish bad git gud fakkin scrooblord". The only reason he made the post to begin with is because you locked it without anyone seeing it, then he decided to make another one (bad idea) then you Github-IRC banned him.

Just be logical with it, un ban the lad, and let him make his post, if all the coders/community fucking hate his guts for it, so be it, let the community decide.

TG13 is a Democracy, Not a Admin/Coder-icatorship

EDIT: I quote someone on this

"TG isent a "Whoevers paying for it" leadership, its a "Whoever we like the most" leadership
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #82399

Coderbus is a separate entity not associated with /tg/station13.

They are entirely a dictatorship.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #82425

le separation meme

/tg/station13 isn't and hasn't been a democracy, at any point. Headmins are elected democratically but ultimately after that they get final say on policies.

I and the other maintainers reserve the right to instaclose stupid PRs. Nobody should be forced to give lip service to crap that was removed for good reason, and repeatedly denied. Especially --and probably more importantly-- if the person doing it is going to be an asshole about it.
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #82540

>tg station isent a democracy
>tg is a dictatorship
>i have been living a lie the past 2 years.
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #109624

Why did you delete his post? That will not undo the bump.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #109625

Posting in a necromunger thread