TGC Enthusiast Quirk

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
Jezzared
Byond Username: Jezzared

TGC Enthusiast Quirk

Post by Jezzared » #683230

We were talking about TGC in the manuelcord and i had the idea that we should have a quirk that lets you save a TCG deck so you can have one on-hand if someone asks to play. Y'know, like real MTG nerds. I suddenly got many ideas about how to expand TGC including special pre-built decks for heads of staff and such, but. That's for later. For right now the first step should be making it more accessible.

What i'm looking for is a "TGC Enthusiast" neutral quirk that gives you a card binder like the ones in the vendor, except this one is persistent and saves cards you put in it between-rounds, much like the photo album given by the Photographer quirk and in the Library. Also maybe a booster pack, so people who are enthusiasts will have a slightly higher chance to have rarer cards in their deck. This would allow people to have decks saved in advance to play games of the TGC whenever they want! Personally i can think of what kinds of decks my characters would build.

I'm willing to provide $20USD or i'll buy you a steam game under $30USD, whichever ends up being easier for us to figure out. Both numbers go up by $5 if you add a special 'Deck Holder' to hold a full premade deck without needing to pull each individual card out of the binder to build it.
Last edited by Jezzared on Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
EOBGames
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: EOBGames

Re: [BOUNTY] TGC Enthusiast Quirk

Post by EOBGames » #683246

So, there is a reason that this hasn't been done yet- it's not that nobody's had the idea, or that it's been impossible, but that we (i.e. myself as the creator of the TCG and the other people working on it) don't want to pull the trigger on persistence before we've got a solid handle on where the card economy should be. Basically, I don't want to make the cards too accessible, since a core tenet of what I want the system to be is the collection aspect, and that kinda gets lost if we make it possible to save cards before sorting out the acquisition.

There is some stuff in the works- I can't promise any release window (the art side of the TCG is really tiring), but I can say that I'd prefer we be able to actually take the system to where we want it to be before any form of persistence is introduced.
Everyone's favourite internewt. Je maptiendrai.
In the rare event that I'm on the server, I'm either Inept-At-Job or Kayden Riker. Accept no substitutes.
If you've gotta contact me, hit me up on discord, as I don't really check forum DMs: @Emerald_or_Bust#1314
Spoiler:
Beware the Chilledstation, for it approaches.
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Re: [BOUNTY] TGC Enthusiast Quirk

Post by blackdav123 » #683250

EOBGames wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:00 am So, there is a reason that this hasn't been done yet- it's not that nobody's had the idea, or that it's been impossible, but that we (i.e. myself as the creator of the TCG and the other people working on it) don't want to pull the trigger on persistence before we've got a solid handle on where the card economy should be. Basically, I don't want to make the cards too accessible, since a core tenet of what I want the system to be is the collection aspect, and that kinda gets lost if we make it possible to save cards before sorting out the acquisition.

There is some stuff in the works- I can't promise any release window (the art side of the TCG is really tiring), but I can say that I'd prefer we be able to actually take the system to where we want it to be before any form of persistence is introduced.
nobody is playing the card game because making a deck takes 20 minutes minimum and that creates a huge barrier of entry so getting new players is hard :(

we could always put this in as a temporary system and just blow it up once the final vision is ready
Weston Echard on Sybil
Jezzared
Byond Username: Jezzared

Re: TGC Enthusiast Quirk

Post by Jezzared » #683263

Well then nevermind on the bounty!

I am a little sad, because yeah, nobody uses it right now because its a little clunky and very hard to put together a deck that even kinda has synergy.

I had some ideas about making certain pre-made decks for certain roles that would have special cards in them. Making collectibles less about opening a million boosters and more about finding the right job and interacting with them in some capacity.

Still, i'm sure you guys have thought of a bunch of different stuff here. It's just crazy to me that we have this whole cardgame and i've never actually seen it played. I figure having collections would at least encourage it at a base level for now.

EDIT: Have you considered adding pre-made decks to the vendors? That might be a nice shortcut for the time being. I'd love to be able to use these with the holodeck setup and everything, and would be willing to set up some decklists for that.