Feature Freeze - GREENTEXT EDITION HAS ENDED

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Feature Freeze - GREENTEXT EDITION HAS ENDED

Post by Cheridan » #83033

We've had some feature freezes in the past, and they're generally pretty good at giving us time to catch up and hack at our issue list for a while. However, they're not very good for morale. People like making new features, fixing bugs is seen as boring. The other problem with have with our issue tracker is that it's very first-in/first-out... New fresh bugs tend to get fixed in a timely manner, but old bugs hang out for months on page 4 getting ignored.

SO! I figured I would try to spice things up a bit during the next freeze. Let's play a game, shall we?
  • An accepted pull request that closes an issue is worth 1 point per issue + 1 point for each year the bug has been around. So a 2015 bug is 1 point, a 2013 bug (which we still unfortunately have plenty of) is worth 3.
  • Issues opened after this date (April 4) will not be worth any points, so no gaming the system by making a dozen really minor issue reports so you can fix them and claim credit. ;)
  • Thaw the freeze! If ~200 bugs get fixed and we hit 600 issues, the freeze will end early and we can all go back to making Ian hats.

Whoever has the most points at the end of the freeze is the winner!
FABULOUS PRIZES:
  • First place will receive a Steam copy of Grand Theft Auto 5! - Courtesy of Oranges!
  • Second place will receive a Steam copy of a game of their choosing, worth up to £25 - Courtesy of PeopleAreStrange!
  • Third place will receive a Steam copy of RingRunner - Flight of the Sages, an enjoyable top-down RPG space shooter!
The date for the next freeze has tentatively set for May 04 - June 04.

If you're unfamiliar with our previous feature freezes, you can check out the old thread here: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=273

And I'll be checking commit dates skrubs so no queuing up bugfixes before May 04 and unleashing them all at once.
Don't even think about using autofire, or I'll know.
Last edited by Jordie0608 on Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: it's happening
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Cheridan

Re: Feature Freeze - GREENTEXT EDITION HAS STARTED

Post by Cheridan » #86040

Running Point Tally!

(Total, User, Pull request number, followed by the amount of points the PR is worth. Spaces between the tally marks indicate separate individual bug fixes in a single PR.)

45 - Jordie: #9330: III, #9377: II II I III II, #9433: I II II, #9352: III, #9489 I, #9526: I I II I I II, #9616: II I II II II II, #9598: I, #9721: II I,
27 - Aranclanos: #9488: III, #9511: III, #9504: III, #9543: III, #9562: III, #9572: III, #9602: III, #9612: III, #9629: III,
12 - Firecage: #9393: I, #9379: I, #9396: II, #9355: I, #9358: I, #9467: I I, #9508: II, #9505: II,
12 - xxalpha: #9337: II, #9400: II, #9461: II I II, #9512: I, #9536: II,
6 - AnturK: #9565: II II II,
4 - GUN_HOG: #9320: II II,
3 - Incoming: #9382: II, #9649: I
2 - Xhuis: #9328: II
4 - bear1ake: #9571: II, #9656: II
2 - Miauw: #9614: II,
2 - spasticVerbalizer #9633: II,
2 - duncathan: #9689: II
Last edited by Cheridan on Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 26 times in total.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Re: Feature Freeze - GREENTEXT EDITION

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #83051

May the fourth be with you.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #83055

We all know who's going to win this.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #83059

All in favour of changing this thread name to "Let's give phil free stuff" say aye
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #83062

I'll still try to greentext.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #83063

I'll up the second place prize by gifting them any steam game worth £25 (roughly $35) or less (or multiple games totalling to that price).
So current 2nd prize can be 3rd place prize.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
phil235
Byond Username: Phil235

Post by phil235 » #83067

Really good idea!
In order not to stifle the competition, I won't be running for this (but will still continue to fix stuff) and will give whatever prize I'm given to the next runner-up.
I'm a tgstation coding maintainer janitor
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #83068

Nonsense, yes you will run.
Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #83084

Given that Phil only fixes bugs to begin with, he should be required to make features instead :^)
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #83095

One rule should be no assigning issues.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #83105

Cheridan wrote:Given that Phil only fixes bugs to begin with, he should be required to make features instead :^)
He has to hide bugs for the rest of us to find and fix. It's an easter celebration.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #83186

Stickymayhem wrote:All in favour of changing this thread name to "Let's give phil free stuff" say aye
Aye. Phil deserves it.
phil235 wrote:Really good idea!
In order not to stifle the competition, I won't be running for this (but will still continue to fix stuff) and will give whatever prize I'm given to the next runner-up.
And he's humble, too! *swoon
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Jordie0608
Site Admin
Byond Username: Jordie0608
Github Username: Jordie0608

Post by Jordie0608 » #83261

Will refactors be accepted?

Also it'd be nice if during this time we could deal with the ~160 issues tagged as 'Not a bug' or 'Feature request', that alone would get us three quarters of the way to the goal.
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #83299

Yeah, that actually sounds like a fun thing to do, but maybe at a later date after the Fix All The Shit We Just Made freeze.

"Feature-only freeze", where we just deal with Not A Bug and Feature Request
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #83354

i would like to ask people not to go crazy on the "easy fix" issues, i like there being some of those around for new contributors.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #83908

Phil will literally win the competition with no contest. Hell he'll probably be the only one doing any bugfixing at all and we'll see the 200 bugs be handled in a couple of weeks by him alone.
Apparently I was an director or something.
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #84402

WJohnston wrote:Phil will literally win the competition with no contest. Hell he'll probably be the only one doing any bugfixing at all and we'll see the 200 bugs be handled in a couple of weeks by him alone.
2nd and 3rd are still good prizes! Assuming Phil doesn't keep his word (unlikely) and not take the first prize if he comes first anyway.

There's everything to play for!
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #84451

Miauw wrote:i would like to ask people not to go crazy on the "easy fix" issues, i like there being some of those around for new contributors.
Don't worry, I'll make more right after the freeze ends.
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #85488

Today's the day.

Today the fun dies.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #85492

It's still May 3rd.
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #85495

Oh wait it is I'm a dunce.

TOMORROW IS THE DAY.
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #85666

Winter is upon us. *shivers*
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
Jordie0608
Site Admin

Post by Jordie0608 » #85671

It's started.
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.
Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #85707

1395160913843.gif
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #87379

Cheridan wrote:Running Point Tally!

(Pull request number, followed by the amount of points the PR is worth. Spaces between the tally marks indicate separate individual bug fixes in a single PR.)

Jordie: #9330: III, #9377: II II I III II,
Firecage: #9393: I, #9379: I, #9396: II, #9355: I, #9358: I
Incoming: #9382: II,
xxalpha: #9337: II,
GUN_HOG: #9320: II II,
Xhuis: #9328: II,
Where's muh point. I fixed an issue so I did
Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #87446

While your fix is appreciated, please review the conditions in the OP, namely Issues opened after this date (April 4) will not be worth any points.
Jordie0608
Site Admin

Post by Jordie0608 » #88506

Cheri can't count =P
Forum Admin
Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #88507

I gotta take my socks off when I'm tallying your PRs, gimme a break.

Anyway yeah if someone thinks there's a mistake in my auditing then please bring it to my attention, but I think I've got everything marked down so far.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #89753

Note. Anyway. Withdrawing from this. Not really interested in a prize even if I somehow do end up in the top 3.
Jordie0608
Site Admin

Re: Feature Freeze - GREENTEXT EDITION HAS ENDED

Post by Jordie0608 » #92825

It's over!

293 issues closed, 119 opened and an issue tracker roughly 100 smaller across 199 pull requests.

A great big thanks to everyone who helped to fix bugs over the past month and a screw you to everyone who ignored the freeze and made feature prs.
Forum Admin
Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #92826

And the WINNERS APPEAR TO BE:

1st prize: Jordie!!!
2nd prize: Aranclanos!!
3rd prize: TWO WAY TIE BETWEEN Firecage and xxalpha!

Hit me up on Steam to get your prizes (if you're not already on my list ;) )
Aranclanos will have to contact PAS or vice versa to redeem his prize.

I'm extremely pleased with the outcome of this freeze. We cleared out a huge amount of backlogged bugs. Most significantly, we have finally retired all of the bugs that were ported from Googlecode.
We would have hit the thaw point easily, but unfortunately new bugs seem to have popped up nearly as fast as we could close the old ones.
tedward1337
Byond Username: Tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #92841

Cheridan wrote:And the WINNERS APPEAR TO BE:

1st prize: Jordie!!!
2nd prize: Aranclanos!!
3rd prize: TWO WAY TIE BETWEEN Firecage and xxalpha!

Hit me up on Steam to get your prizes (if you're not already on my list ;) )
Aranclanos will have to contact PAS or vice versa to redeem his prize.

I'm extremely pleased with the outcome of this freeze. We cleared out a huge amount of backlogged bugs. Most significantly, we have finally retired all of the bugs that were ported from Googlecode.
We would have hit the thaw point easily, but unfortunately new bugs seem to have popped up nearly as fast as we could close the old ones.
Ayy jordie!!~
Major T on Steam/IRC/Twitch/everything else.
Game Admin
PM anytime with questions about the server, policies or for fun!
Spoiler:
<hg|work> why do we unban people
OOC: Shaps: pizza status: fucking delivered
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #93047

Jordie = hero
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #98242

Aranclanos Still hasn't contacted me to get their prize :/
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #98246

You get to keep yrou money.

Although I'm willing to take it from you.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #98251

Bad scalie, bad! Trying to take prizes from those who win them. You should be ashamed!
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #98570

Please. I know no shame.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler: