Re: Simple animals and their problems

Post by onleavedontatme » #112597

Intent toggle, actual UI
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #112617

Movement is pretty fubar even for "regular" mobs because all the logic is in client/Move(). Which is really dumb, fuck that. Big project I would do if I cared would be to move the logic onto the mob so NPC's can move -exactly- like human-controlled mobs.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #112684

I think simple_animals were written by Errorage. His goal was to create a simple mob type that was computationally easy so they would cause as little lag as possible. The more you add to them, the more the server needs to simulate. Even something like a UI, even if there isn't actually a player in control, still needs to be simulated and eats up computational resources.

So keep that in mind: simple animals have to stay simple. If you want anything more complicated you might be better off creating a new mob type under /carbon.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #112835

Ricotez. Ironically they were also meant to be Simple, not as complex as they have become now.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #112969

Make simple animals simple and more complicated variants for players that aren't normally spawned?
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #112982

They were designed to be simple not so they could stay simple but because working with the existing mobs was a nightmare. And still is a nightmare.

Simple mobs were not designed to be cheap. If they were, they would be called cheap mobs.

Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #112993

Yeah, simple mobs really are quite simple. If you derive a type from simple_animal you know what you get, unlike deriving a type from carbon or silicon.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #113043

MisterPerson wrote:They were designed to be simple not so they could stay simple but because working with the existing mobs was a nightmare. And still is a nightmare.

Simple mobs were not designed to be cheap. If they were, they would be called cheap mobs.
They actually were designed to stay incredibly simple. Like meant for Ian (who couldnt even nuzzle originally). Erro was kind of annoyed when I started expanding on them so they could attack and such.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #113227

Also I'm pretty sure they were never intended to be inhabited by people as well.

Any time we start taking players and stuffing them into things it keeps causing complexity and you end up with mobs again.
Amnestik
Byond Username: Amnestik

Post by Amnestik » #113291

I don't see why something similar to SNPCs aren't used instead for human NPCs, instead of simple mobs

That way the illusion of human NPCs actually being human (i.e. obeying the same rules that player-controlled humans do) remains intact, instead of being spoiled by the awkward movement, excessive health, excessive damage and lack of stunnability that simple mobs have
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #113496

The complexity of humans means doing that kind of shit is way, way harder than just doing everything from scratch. The health system of carbon mobs is probably the only feature that's both fairly simple to use and also way, way better than simple mobs. Everything else is either complex as shit or relatively the same.