Colonial Marines Code Leak

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
Crab_Nicholson
Byond Username: Crab_Nicholson

Colonial Marines Code Leak

Post by Crab_Nicholson » #199614

There was an announcement a bit ago in OOC that the source code for the Colonial Marines server was leaked by a trusted coder along with a link to the thread he did it in. Shortly after there was full panic mode and they contacted the digg admin or whatever to have the thread deleted. I managed to snag the details before hand.

Here are the links proper:
https://github.com/ColonialMarinesRelea ... PHA-master
https://github.com/ColonialMarinesRelea ... HA-DevTest

Last edited by Crab_Nicholson on Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Re: Colonial Marines Code Leak

Post by Bawhoppennn » #199618

oh shit son
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #199619

DRAMA TIME?!!
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #199622

now that I think of it tbh theres nothing exciting codewise, its not like they had secrets like goon that people obsessed over
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #199623

It's just for the Schadenfreude, it's nice to look at shitcode once in a while.
私は完璧
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #199625

Having seen how apop runs his server, interacts with his community and the staff he entrusts to run the server when he's not around, this comes as no shock. Will have to take a look when I'm not on mobile but I can pretty much bet the code is sloppy and imbalanced as shit, the server always lagged when I played and the admin team were the biggest bunch of babies if their xeno team didn't win.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #199626

Davidchan wrote:Having seen how apop runs his server, interacts with his community and the staff he entrusts to run the server when he's not around, this comes as no shock. Will have to take a look when I'm not on mobile but I can pretty much bet the code is sloppy and imbalanced as shit, the server always lagged when I played and the admin team were the biggest bunch of babies if their xeno team didn't win.
Looking at it it's definitely... low standards.
MSO has also found lots of old exploits that we fixed aeons ago.
私は完璧
Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #199628

Well we got our next aprils fools event then. Colonial marines with tg rules and community. Let the escelation begin!
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #199630

Call me when lw is leaked.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #199631

DO NOT RUN THIS CODE UNSANDBOXED

DO NOT OPEN ANY SOUNDS OR ICONS
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #199638

iamgoofball wrote:DO NOT RUN THIS CODE UNSANDBOXED

DO NOT OPEN ANY SOUNDS OR ICONS
Just as precaution, or actually bad shit confirmed?
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #199641

Precaution.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #199642

Apparently it was a hacker/script kiddie/whatever, not the admin/coder. Their account was hacked. People were saying its the same person who leaked Gooncode, but i wasnt around for that so i have no idea.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #199643

Alex Crimson wrote:Apparently it was a hacker/script kiddie/whatever, not the admin/coder. Their account was hacked. People were saying its the same person who leaked Gooncode, but i wasnt around for that so i have no idea.
We know, and yes, it's the same guy.
私は完璧
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #199654

Okay, just had a message from a buddy, apparently there's a bitcoin miner in it.
[8:19 AM] : "ust as an aside, can confirm he snuck a BCM into the source.
Don't compile and run the server
Don't credit me on that, but I ran it in Virtual box
Immediate seizure of the Artificial ram and CPU usage spiked to 95%"
[8:19 AM] : Just got PM'd this
[8:24 AM] : Compiled the code, this happened: http://puu.sh/qjvAb/4fb60971de.png
So with that in mind:

TAKE GOOFBALL'S ADVICE
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #199661

wonderful. Lets get that miner removed.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #199664

Is there even anything of value in this code to begin with

Isn't cm just old tg with weirdly high res sprites and loadsa guns
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #199669

Likely some sprites and xeno based code in regards to Xeno fighting styles. Also some kind of dismemberment and mechanics such as knives on heads and pulling tables down as cover.

Small bits of salavagable code.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #199680

A bitcoin miner in dm?

I have a hard time believing that.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #199683

oranges wrote:A bitcoin miner in dm?

I have a hard time believing that.
dee ell ells?
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #199687

Goof I believe you made a similar accusation with the goon leak. None of my guys found anything unusual.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #199690

Better safe than sorry tbh
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #199692

I dont' see anything specific pointing to a miner, although I suppose someone could have modified the mysql dll.
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #199718

Well wouldnt surprise me that CM forces its users to mine bit coins* for them. The entire server is just filled cancer and autism and its a tumour on our great game.

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #199722

Alipheese wrote:Well wouldnt surprise me that CM forces its users to mine bit coins* for them. The entire server is just filled cancer and autism and its a tumour on our great game.
That doesn't even work, all Byond games run server-side.
the bitcoin miner, if one exists, is in the source code so that the leaker can get some bitcoins from people foolish enough to compile the stolen code.
私は完璧
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #199744

Screemonster wrote:Okay, just had a message from a buddy, apparently there's a bitcoin miner in it.
So we'll be able to allow shaft miners mine for bitcoins?
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #199749

Someone let me know if any of this is usable from a practical perspective.

I was contemplating doing a Xeno mode here, but I needed someone to make a map, to write some of the more complex code aspects, and to help sprite. A CM leak could help with all three.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #199782

I'm not sure if we could use any of it under our own license, especially since the code itself already breaks Bay's license
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #199786

I don't think we even should use any of their sprites. Most of them don't really fit the game well at all.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #199803

The CM host and coders whining about how their hard work has been "stolen" is amusing considering their game is built on the back of a decade of open source work by other people, and using the intellectual property of Fox.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #199804

"stolen"
The real joke here is anybody actually wanting to use any of their assets. Goon on the other hand, they got some nice stuff probably worth pinching if it were actually viable considering licenses.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #199857

Yeah Oldman you'd be better off going from ground up. CM code is hilariously outdated, ineffective and full of so many exploits and nuances. It being the only server you can get a gun as nonantag being the reason most of the kiddos play there.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #199952

Ricotez wrote:I'm not sure if we could use any of it under our own license, especially since the code itself already breaks Bay's license
I still don't understand why we care so much about licensing when the game's code :
a) was stolen in it's original format and all current servers are ultimately descended from this stolen flash drive
b) was relicensed without consent from all contributors on the basis of "eh they'll say something if they've got issues"
c) contains numerous copyright/trademark violations and gray areas that have only gone undetected due to the extreme niche appeal of the game itself
d) is modified for a number of downstream servers, several of which then run on closed-source licenses (which as I understand it violates the terms of our license but nobody gives two shits)
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #199954

Breaking the law and then saying "well we haven't gotten arrested yet so it must not matter" is not an attitude to keep towards these things.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #200072

Not sure why you guys shit on CM aside from their stupidness for being closed source. I'm actually quite liking it for what it is.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty

a correct post by pillz
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #200076

The code sucks, is full of exploits, is closed sourced. The game sucks, is full of gimmicks, isn't even ss13 anymore, the admins suck, are full of contradictions and disagreement on how to enforce the rules, and finally, the rules suck, tries to prevent rule breaking with more rules, has contradictions, and is just in general too subjective to be useful as rules.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #200079

MrStonedOne wrote:The game sucks, is full of gimmicks, isn't even ss13 anymore, the admins suck, are full of contradictions and disagreement on how to enforce the rules, and finally, the rules suck, tries to prevent rule breaking with more rules, has contradictions, and is just in general too subjective to be useful as rules.
Sounds like tgstation to me tbh familia.

a correct post by pillz
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #200086

Steal the ladders and multi level design (aka the transport ships existing on the sucalmento *i forget the name of the ship* exist below the main ship level meant to be a sort of maintenance area without detracting from the main z level, maintenance below has been discussed before) for xhuis's aquastation as to simulate vertical depth rather than using ugly stair z level teleporting which will get sloppy with water mechanics or having to stretch the station psuedo horizontally in some ugly optical illusion where water in one area causes you to instantly die but the water in lets say the north place is perfectly fine.

Their loss is our gain if handled carefully again the code is shit so uh, proceed with caution.

Spoiler:
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #200107

we have ladders

FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #200205

Bawhoppennn wrote:we have ladders
Unless I've misinterpreted a very clever artistic trick, they don't teleport to a new z level, they are DIRECTLY UNDERNEATH VERTICALLY and you can see out over the top. I am unsure if objects being thrown carry through though.

Spoiler:
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #200206

get us a picture, we'll be able to tell Fwoosh.
私は完璧
Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #200207

Ladders were stolen from BestRP/Unbound Travels. They had a 3 z-level map and if you were on level 2 or 3 and stepped on a tile that was destroyed you'd fall down a level and could literally break your legs. So no, it's not something CM made and their execution was even worse.
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #200210

Can anyone post some of the exploits for... documentation?
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
ohnopigeons
Byond Username: Ohnopigeons
Github Username: ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #200215

All the exploits are there in the code, right in front of you. Open your eyes, dude.
Spoiler:
[youtube]bLHL75H_VEM[/youtube]
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #200236

Remie Richards wrote:get us a picture, we'll be able to tell Fwoosh.
Dropship zone as i've said, i haven't been on CM in ages but its there.
Davidchan wrote:Ladders were stolen from BestRP/Unbound Travels. They had a 3 z-level map and if you were on level 2 or 3 and stepped on a tile that was destroyed you'd fall down a level and could literally break your legs. So no, it's not something CM made and their execution was even worse.

Spoiler:
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #200268

calzilla1 wrote:Can anyone post some of the exploits for... documentation?
from a rudimentary glance thru the code, there is sql injection in bible/religion names, and in the library search feature, but both of these are just that it doesn't properly escape \, something byond tends to try to filter if you try to send it. how ever byond doesn't allow multiple queries, so you can't use ; at all in sql injections, but you could abuse union or subqueries to get people's ip address/cids if you can figure out how to get a \ pass and use \ to escape the code's escaping of the ' you enter. (\' turns into \\' meaning your close quote still exists)

Their attacklogs aren't properly filtered so if you can get html into the name of something, and hit somebody with it, the html will run when an admin views VV of you or the other person.

mechs seem to still have the center bug, meaning if you press numpad 5 in a mech, you will move to the next zlevel up, and you can just keep repeating that to cycle thru all of the z-levels.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
MrEousTranger
Byond Username: Mr.EousTranger

Post by MrEousTranger » #200331

Well on the topic of Aliens
But off the topic of Cucklonial Marines
anyone else hype for alien 5?
A3STH3T1CS
Byond Username: Mack3r3l

Post by A3STH3T1CS » #200335

What are they scared for? Their game runs like dog shit because their FPS and smoothing matchs like two gay puzzle pieces.

It doesn't work so fuck their pointless drama. They don't have anything of value besides a mediocre collection of the excrement from two girls in one cup put into digital interactive slag.
banned consecutively from multiple communities
professional space law botanist
<Pirou> Xhuis: You have 10 unread memos. You may read them by speaking in the channel. <Xhuis> ?!
<Chocobro> aesthetics is the best flower maker
Username change: Mackerel -> A3STH3T1CS
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #200350

From what I briefly looked over, I couldn't see any of the newer xeno sprites in the mob files. Unless these were stored somewhere else this might actually just be a much older copy of the code.

In any case I'm firmly against using any of their xeno sprites, I've bitched long enough about how I'm not okay with them using my sprites and it'd be absolutely horrible to take theirs in return.

Besides I like my sprites better.

But I'd like to check theirs out.

For comparison reasons.

Honest.
Apparently I was an director or something.
A3STH3T1CS
Byond Username: Mack3r3l

Post by A3STH3T1CS » #200351

subtle
banned consecutively from multiple communities
professional space law botanist
<Pirou> Xhuis: You have 10 unread memos. You may read them by speaking in the channel. <Xhuis> ?!
<Chocobro> aesthetics is the best flower maker
Username change: Mackerel -> A3STH3T1CS