No errors, but game won't even start

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
Crow
Byond Username: Unusual Crow

No errors, but game won't even start

Post by Crow » #216011

I've recently been working on adding GoonLight (https://github.com/PJB3005/GoonLight-Heist) to my /tg/ based fork.
After removing all the files from the old system, adding in the lighting files from GoonLight-Heist, and replacing old vars and procs with their GoonLight equivalents for a total of 0 errors and warnings, the game won't even start.
I run it from Dream Daemon on trusted as usual and after a certain point it just freezes up and doesn't resume like it normally would. I've waited on it for 15 minutes and nothing happened.
I then made a test map with only a couple lights just to see if it might have been lag from so many lights, but that did nothing. It still freezes up before any initialization messages even appear, no runtime errors or anything.

I really have no idea what might be causing this. I'm fairly new to coding in DM and I'd greatly appreciate if someone could tell me if there's anything in particular I should look for that might be causing this headache. :brain: :revolver:
The Ultimate Chimera
Byond Username: The Ultimate Chimera

Re: No errors, but game won't even start

Post by The Ultimate Chimera » #216016

Probably code incompatibilities. Correct me if I am wrong.
Your sins are not to be forgiven. Pain and regrets are waiting for you.
Crow

Post by Crow » #216021

The Ultimate Chimera wrote:Probably code incompatibilities. Correct me if I am wrong.
Sure, but what would be incompatible? GoonLight-Heist was sorta designed to be "plug-and-play", there aren't really any requirements other than what's there, and I'm pretty sure I replaced everything related to the old system with their equivalents from the new system.
The Ultimate Chimera
Byond Username: The Ultimate Chimera

Post by The Ultimate Chimera » #216050

Gooncode with tg code.
Last edited by The Ultimate Chimera on Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your sins are not to be forgiven. Pain and regrets are waiting for you.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #216268

Normally I would assume an infinite loop, but byond is supposed to flip those to the background and keep going or at least crash. So maybe it's just legit that slow? I'd keep a close eye on anything done in the lighting SS, that's for sure.

You'll either need to look at what you're doing more carefully to make sure there's nothing wrong, upload and link your code so we can inspect it, or start completely over. I've actually got an old /tg/ based version of goonlighting you can start from/compare your version to/whatever here.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Crow

Post by Crow » #216622

MisterPerson wrote:Normally I would assume an infinite loop, but byond is supposed to flip those to the background and keep going or at least crash. So maybe it's just legit that slow? I'd keep a close eye on anything done in the lighting SS, that's for sure.

You'll either need to look at what you're doing more carefully to make sure there's nothing wrong, upload and link your code so we can inspect it, or start completely over. I've actually got an old /tg/ based version of goonlighting you can start from/compare your version to/whatever here.
I'm currently away from home until Monday or so, but I'll figure something out when I'm back. I completely removed the subsystem and just added the new files into a new folder in /code until I get it working so maybe there's some issues there. I wouldn't think it would be so slow because it uses a process very similar to the current system to minimize lag. I might just post/PM the GitHub page when I'm back. Thank you.