Is there a way to add an alternative job list?

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
ngdaniel96
Byond Username: Ngdaniel96

Is there a way to add an alternative job list?

Post by ngdaniel96 » #218824

I'm trying to make this mini SS13 game for me and my friends where the game takes place on the ground, and that we get to play as a rebel, republic soldier or civilian. The rebel and republic soldiers are supposed to be enemy so they're not supposed to spawn at the same location. How do I add let say a rebel soldier as a profession? Can I put it under different buttons when player selects from the lobby like how when a player join, instead of being able to choose from 'Setup Character', 'Join game' or 'Observe', they get extra options such as 'Join as Rebel' and 'Join as Soldier'?

I tried fiddling with the jobs.dm a bit and it ended up with the entire dmb file being corrupted... I'm not a good coder and I consulted my coder friends, even they couldn't figure out how, I hope you guys can help.
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Re: Is there a way to add an alternative job list?

Post by J_Madison » #218998

Off the top of my head I can't remember the DM so I suggest searching GitHub whilst you do this.

Begin by looking at job lists; these will also define what these jobs have at roundstart.
You can choose to rename them, or make completely new ones with different starting items.
Creating spawning areas for these new jobs requires the map editor. Look at any of the maps and look for job spawn markers that are marked with an X of some colour. Create new ones that spawn new jobs and then add them to the map.

Now for seperate latejoin, you must examine the code for latejoin spawns and do a return or redirect the spawn elsewhere. Chat to coderbus about this since it is more complicated.