R&D overhaul possible basic mechanics discussion

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
Jalleo
Byond Username: Jalleo

R&D overhaul possible basic mechanics discussion

Post by Jalleo » #649

This is more a talk of codewise which ones may be easier to change or add stuff onto it or modify.

Currently the question is for the components inside the items

There are a few possibilites these are only theoretical if you got a better suggestion please post it as long as its feasible and simple.

Would it be better to have it so all the components to allow a certain function in the gun be merged into the actual chance and testing parameters once the item is made?

Or would it be better seperatly or some way in between?

I am asking this because i am curious and not exactly certain but I believe doing the first method is better since it would require less functions and checks but it may then be harder to implement some sort of ghetto R&D deconstructing the items to get components for people to smash together
to make items.

I know its kinda a stupid question but it helps to clarify it so when i start looking and learning the code that i shall be either using changing or replacing the code surrounding the base R&D code and then making it easily expandable for everyone after or the same time.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Re: R&D overhaul possible basic mechanics discussion

Post by Bluespace » #659

I really don't see a need or reason to overhaul R&D code, it's fine as is.
I play Boris Pepper.
Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #662

I know what you mean tomorrow I shall get my design doc and stuff all.

The reason why I am going to do one is to try and make it interesting and much more up to date and less gemerically shitty.

Its going back more to the actual design it was for bluespace and to make the game better. Not changing anything will leave only stagnation now lets leave this until i put up my R&D thread in ideas.
Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #743

Here is my R&D descussion area for the overall idea of how R&D please comment any flaws and how you feel about it there:

http://coderbus.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=100
N3X15

Post by N3X15 » #761

I'm guessing you're doing something like machine construction, but for items (springs and gears rather than matter bins and manipulators).

What you should do, is sit back and think about it gameplay-wise. It's all well and good to have simpler code, but you also need to balance it with how the users are going to approach it. Are they going to see much of a difference? Will the upgrade procedure be simple enough for the average idiot to do (take shit out, put back in)? Will there be an entirely different set of parts for each gun, or will similar guns have common classes of parts to upgrade? (barrels, firing mechanisms, plasma excitement chambers or whatever for e-guns)

I think your first move for something this potentially game-changing would be to hash out exactly what you want to do, then make a request for comment on a proposal. This should just be a logical presentation rather than technical so people can understand the ramifications. This means no code stuff, just what features you plan on adding, changing, or removing and how these changes will "work" to the average user.
Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #763

Right got it and yes its going to be like machine construction I will be looking at my overhaul design doc and be reworking it to what you have talked about N3X15
UncleSporky

Post by UncleSporky » #768

I agree with Bluespace on this one.

It's not that current R&D is perfect or anything, but there are a lot of other changes I'd want to see first. I don't feel strongly that R&D is just so insufferable that it needs a massive change like this.
Jalleo wrote:Not changing anything will leave only stagnation
I don't like this argument for change. You could say this about any element of the game...not changing clowns leads to stagnation, not changing traitor mechanics leads to stagnation, not changing how to hack doors leads to stagnation. Sometimes things are pretty okay as they are and maybe just need minor revision to reach a point where most people are fine with them.
Numbers

Post by Numbers » #781

The thing is that current R&D is not okay. The fact you can max out the research in matter of minutes if you know what you're doing and then churn out guns is a bad thing.

There have been talks about overhauling R&D for years now and well something has to be done about it. Building stuff out of components and customizing stuff is a great idea and should be considered. As well as shifting focus from weapons to actually useful non-combat stuff
"I've told you about Erro, I've warned you dwag." - Unknown
ImageImageImage
Stephie

Post by Stephie » #786

Being able to finish research in minutes is good for rounds that last for less than an hour, though. I mean, compare that to Botany or Xenobiology, where you can waste over an hour and barely achieve anything.

And exactly what guns are you going to churn out without materials from mining, which now takes a good 30 minutes to find anything useful, anyway? Stun revolvers and temperature guns?
Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #826

I agree you should be able to do basic research quickly Stephie that I have talked about in my plan in ideas most of this discussion is quite unrelevant please go see my design doc there I would love the discussion to stay just there for now.

I plan to make it easy to create simple items but when you want to go in depth to make that brilliant item you should be able to.