Trashed/Abandoned Projects and Prototypes

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Trashed/Abandoned Projects and Prototypes

Post by Scott » #253471

Post stuff you never got to PR in github or that never got merged, either because it didn't turn out to be good enough or you got tired of developing it.

I'll start with this tallwall concept,
https://my.mixtape.moe/ldqxen.webm
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Re: Trashed/Abandoned Projects and Prototypes

Post by Gun Hog » #253523

I was bored one day and wanted to see how interesting having an experimental energy shield on the RD's hardsuit would be. It has a single layer of shielding (Nuke Ops ones have 3, Deathsquad has 4) with a 25% chance to stun the wearer on hit. It could protect you, or it could turn something as harmless as a thrown pen into an easy stun (and thus kill). I dare not PR this, of course. I just thought it would be fun.

Here, have a picture:

Code: Select all

/obj/item/clothing/suit/space/hardsuit/shielded/rd
	icon_state = "hardsuit-rd"
	name = "prototype hardsuit"
	desc = "A prototype suit that protects against hazardous, low pressure environments. \
	Fitted with extensive plating and an experimental energy shield for handling explosives and dangerous research materials."
	item_state = "hardsuit-rd"
	current_charges = 1
	max_charges = 1
	resistance_flags = ACID_PROOF | FIRE_PROOF
	max_heat_protection_temperature = FIRE_SUIT_MAX_TEMP_PROTECT //Same as an emergency firesuit. Not ideal for extended exposure.
	allowed = list(/obj/item/device/flashlight,/obj/item/weapon/tank/internals, /obj/item/weapon/gun/energy/wormhole_projector,
	/obj/item/weapon/hand_tele, /obj/item/device/aicard)
	armor = list(melee = 30, bullet = 5, laser = 10, energy = 5, bomb = 100, bio = 100, rad = 60, fire = 60, acid = 80)
	helmettype = /obj/item/clothing/head/helmet/space/hardsuit/rd

/obj/item/clothing/suit/space/hardsuit/shielded/rd/hit_reaction(mob/living/carbon/human/owner, attack_text)
	. = ..()
	if(. && prob(25)) //Run normal shield checks. If shielded and hit, 25% chance of the shield backfiring
		owner << "<span class='userdanger'>Your energy shielding collapses in on itself and incapacitates you!</span>"
		owner.Weaken(4)

return . //forward the return from the parent
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #253587

Just look through my github's remote branches (I don't clean them usually)
I'm sure there's tons of "hidden gems"

Most of my abandoned projects don't get shown, and for good reason.
私は完璧
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #253676

At least three gamemodes have died in the pipeline and never seen the light of day. Truckloads of minor stuff, too, like an away mission, many antagonists, and even a map. Unfortunately, it'll probably never be recovered for archiving, as I am obsessive about having a clean repository.

Some more interesting stuff includes:
  • A spin-off of shadowling where the antagonists competed.
  • A huge crafting update with a ton of makeshift tools and devices being added.
  • An underwater map!
Last edited by Xhuis on Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #253680

I tried and failed horribly at giving hivebots different classes of guns, and turning them more from a generic robot to a gunwielding focused thing
ChangelingRain
Byond Username: ChangelingRain
Github Username: ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #253816

A mining mob to replace the goldgrub on lavaland, a boss that I partially coded then scrapped because it was shit, and a second map, for lowpop, that I partially developed then abandoned.

Also god damn it Gun Hog that's a trailing return .
Plays Joan Lung and various AIs and cyborgs with mythology and magical creature-themed names. Joan on IRC.
earth-clawing illuminati trans girl
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #253881

I coded a lot of spells and spell modifications for wizards, then kinda stopped working on it since i couldn't manage to get the UI working how i wanted it to.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #253913

XDTM wrote:I coded a lot of spells and spell modifications for wizards, then kinda stopped working on it since i couldn't manage to get the UI working how i wanted it to.
It's a shame UI is such an obstacle in this code.
Swindly
Byond Username: Swindly

Post by Swindly » #254030

I made a parasite organ that damaged its host based on how much its host has spoken and spread to nearby humans whenever the host talked. I scrapped it when I analyzed chat logs and found that many people don't talk and the ones that do don't usually speak more than 3 sentences.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #254176

I was going to do an android antagonist for the gamemode jam. It was literally going to be a human with an AI in its head and you could jump consciousness between the two whenever you wanted. It just through errors constantly and I didn't know how to fix them at the time.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #254253

MisterPerson wrote:I was going to do an android antagonist for the gamemode jam. It was literally going to be a human with an AI in its head and you could jump consciousness between the two whenever you wanted. It just through errors constantly and I didn't know how to fix them at the time.
I once had a power for malf AIs coded that allowed them to (LOUDLY) take direct control of a human.
Didn't go for it in the end because well, with any kind of possession you have to cover 1million+1 cases of "this possession should probably end now"
私は完璧
starmute
Byond Username: Starmute

Post by starmute » #254295

A train station that rode around the asteroid before Kor created lavaland.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #255671

An upgrade system for the AI to give them something to do other than to validhunt
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #272063

MisterPerson wrote:I was going to do an android antagonist for the gamemode jam. It was literally going to be a human with an AI in its head and you could jump consciousness between the two whenever you wanted. It just through errors constantly and I didn't know how to fix them at the time.
That's basically slimeperson bodyswapping.

Spoiler:
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #272418

look through my closed prs.. wew..
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #272425

Remie Richards wrote: I once had a power for malf AIs coded that allowed them to (LOUDLY) take direct control of a human.
Didn't go for it in the end because well, with any kind of possession you have to cover 1million+1 cases of "this possession should probably end now"
I would totally love to try my hand at a more benign version of this, such as a surgery to create an "automaton" (Or "android" I guess, although that name is taken). Make it work similarly to https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/14054 where you insert a posibrain into a fully augged corpse to revive it as a new player. Instead of a posibrain, I could maybe require an AI control circuit that you slot in as the brain. RR's Malf power would just do this without outside help!