Medbot Color auto-reskin and applications to other bots

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Medbot Color auto-reskin and applications to other bots

Post by cedarbridge » #254655

I'm looking over the code for the medbots to see how they go about checking what color box was used to construct them so they can apply that to the final medbot. For the life of me I can't wrap my head around it. Might just be a product of trying to read code at 4am.

If whoever coded that is around could help me understand the process it uses and maybe help work out how to do the same with toolboxes, that would be swell. :tile:
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Re: Medbot Color auto-reskin and applications to other bots

Post by Alipheese » #254657

cedarbridge wrote:I'm looking over the code for the medbots to see how they go about checking what color box was used to construct them so they can apply that to the final medbot. For the life of me I can't wrap my head around it. Might just be a product of trying to read code at 4am.

If whoever coded that is around could help me understand the process it uses and maybe help work out how to do the same with toolboxes, that would be swell. :tile:
isnt it the color of the medkit used in making it?

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #254673

cedarbridge wrote:I'm looking over the code for the medbots to see how they go about checking what color box was used to construct them so they can apply that to the final medbot. For the life of me I can't wrap my head around it. Might just be a product of trying to read code at 4am.

I didn't code, but this is how they are done:
When you click a medical kit with an arm, it saves the medkit type(here) in the assembly's var called skin.
When the assembly is created, it creates an overlay of that medkit, which is done here
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #254699

What if you made all toolboxes greyscale, and simply applied the "color" var to the toolboxes accordingly? Would that make them look to weird? You could then read the color var of the toolbox used to build the floorbot, then apply it to the newly constructed bot.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #255091

Gun Hog wrote:What if you made all toolboxes greyscale, and simply applied the "color" var to the toolboxes accordingly? Would that make them look to weird? You could then read the color var of the toolbox used to build the floorbot, then apply it to the newly constructed bot.
I don't think that plays nicely with shading, different colored latches, etc. That's why the medbots use the "Skin" setup instead.
Doctor Pork
Byond Username: Doctor_Pork

Post by Doctor Pork » #255306

i would love different color floorbots one day
oranges wrote:pork, the nondescript, commoner king, literally so stealth you could just your normal name in OOC and nobody would know, long may he reign as the secret commander
Deitus wrote:If your signature is scrollable it's too long and fucking obnoxious and you should feel bad
Link to my feedback thread. Go there.
PKPenguin321 wrote:I've been had by yet another tg boondoggle
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #255348

Doctor Pork wrote:i would love different color floorbots one day
Its probably possible to just mirror the medkit code over with modifications to match the different boxes but I'm code retarded and even worse at sprite work. :honk:
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #255395

cedarbridge wrote:
Gun Hog wrote:What if you made all toolboxes greyscale, and simply applied the "color" var to the toolboxes accordingly? Would that make them look to weird? You could then read the color var of the toolbox used to build the floorbot, then apply it to the newly constructed bot.
I don't think that plays nicely with shading, different colored latches, etc. That's why the medbots use the "Skin" setup instead.
Both of those are solvable problems. You can have a colored texture and a noncolored one, and you can have a gradient that includes both blacks and whites.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter