[Deleted] Community voice on feature changes?

Resolved.

Moderator: Board Moderators

JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Community voice on feature changes?

Postby JusticeGoat » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:20 am #478002

What is your stance on giving players and the community (The part that plays the game.) ability to petition for a vote removal on features that are wildly criticized?

Who should or shouldn't have a say on the game development?

Last question is should we have code and feature discussions held on the main forms for people to add feedback before adding them or keep it to github?

iamgoofball
Github User

Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Re: Community voice on feature changes?

Postby iamgoofball » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:24 am #478007

Not our problem, and this isn't fit for admin discussion. Separation of codebase and server. Take it up with oranges.

iamgoofball
Github User

Postby iamgoofball » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:24 am #478010

also this historically is shit, see ntstation for why this is a bad idea

if you don't know what that is it's because ntstation was before a vast majority of the current admin team's time

Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Hulkamania

Postby Hulkamania » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:07 am #478047

Keeping an open communication between coders and admins/players is a good thing, but ultimately a lot of that is up to them. I would hope that the codebase would be able to respect a massively unpopular decision, but that's a different question entirely.

iamgoofball
Github User

Postby iamgoofball » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:09 am #478050

it's more a surprise this thread hasn't been closed yet since "the codebase" is offlimits for headmin debate

subject217
Github User

Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Postby subject217 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:18 am #478059

Polls are the headmins' domain almost always and are a valuable way to collect feedback. Otherwise, most of the maintainers and both headcoders are in adminbus and we talk to them quite frequently. Features are their concern. You can't make them do anything, all you can do is discuss things with them, and player feedback is a valuable tool to do so.
thankfully former admin
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20553

Nervere

Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Postby Nervere » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:32 am #478502

It’s not right to dismiss this thread entirely as a code issue. Headmins are heads of the community, and it’s their job to represent its interests. For example, when hygiene first came out and was quite controversial, I ran a poll that lasted a few days asking about what peoples opinions were on the feature.

It wasn’t a binding poll and I didn’t pressure the coders to come to a final decision on the feature. What I was able to do, however, is collect the opinions of the community and present them to the coders and make an argument in the community’s interest.

In a world where administration and code are separate, I think this is the best we can hope for.

Return to Archived/Deleted