[Deleted] Flipping the config switches

Resolved.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Shadowflame909

Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here
Byond Username: Shadowflame909

Flipping the config switches

Postby Shadowflame909 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:37 pm #478371

As ancient legends say... There are tools that were once turned off, for the betterment of the server. Yet, a new figure down the line may stumble across one of these tools. What will the do when they see them? Only time will tell...

Basically, I'm just curious if you're sick of any config options enabled or want to revive any old ones.

Some examples of enabled ones I see are Lavaland ruins, space ruins, and rainbow jumpsuits.

Some of the most controversial disabled ones would be ERP, Antag Rep, Drones, and the Swarmer Ruin.

All in all, people have said codebase is the one really in charge, but a few hectic switch flips would really cause the game to change.

So, how about it?

Spoiler:

ThanatosRa wrote:My biggest problem is that I can't fix any of this.

Boris wrote:shadowflame either has a brain the size of a pea or one the size of the moon and he's playing 58D chess.

BeeSting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.

BebeYoshi wrote:Saltyflame909

Cobby wrote:The trash bin... have you lost your way home anon?

subject217
Github User

Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Re: Flipping the config switches

Postby subject217 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:26 pm #478377

Slightly playing with fire by mentioning it but in a policy thread I made I think about 6 months ago I described a way to reconfigure the antag rep system to basically just be a more fair way to roll for antag. So if you hadn't rolled antag in a while, you'd be more likely to roll it than people who rolled it recently, and that's all it would do. I still think that's a good idea and if other people involved felt the same way I wouldn't mind reconfiguring it as such and bringing it back in that guise.

Otherwise as far as config edits go I'd like to see Nuke Ops not end on antagonist death again. The shuttle is always called as soon as possible anyways and the paranoia of not knowing if there are still operatives alive about to jump you or not was more exciting than always knowing that antags are alive. Additionally, midround antags are currently enabled in Cult, which is a mistake for the same reason Nuke Ops or Revs doesn't have them enabled. I'd also like to edit the minimum pop for Wizard from 20 to 25 or 30, for the reasons I discussed in your thread on the game mode rotation, which is coincidentally handled in the same config files.

Besides that everything is probably too controversial to change without a vote at the very least, or silly depreciated things like having an IC_PRINTING config when we don't have ICs anymore.

Oh, also one side note, ERP is not a config option, it's rules only. The /tg/ station codebase does not have any config disabled ERP code.
thankfully former admin
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20553

iamgoofball
Github User

Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Postby iamgoofball » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:35 pm #478382

Reset it back to the GitHub Standard. The game designers should be in charge of game design.

D&B

Byond Username: Repukan

Postby D&B » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:18 am #478429

I would personally turn off the Golem and Xeno Hive ruins until they are better reworked or integrated into the game.

I am personally interested in a drone whitelist, but it is not one of my main points of focus nor a hill I will die on.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?

J_Madison wrote:that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you

ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.

Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Hulkamania

Postby Hulkamania » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:03 am #478450

I'm pretty in favor of bringing drones back around for a test run, maybe after tweaking the rules a bit to accommodate. Personally I think the lavaland hospital ruin can go, and probably the beach bum one too. Neither provide anything meaningful or fun to the game, rather they just act as a second life with nothing unique about them.

subject217
Github User

Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Postby subject217 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:07 am #478452

It could really be a thread of its' own but the issue with drones wasn't really a rules issue, it was a logging issue. They have a heavy tendency to produce he said/she said ahelps. It was basically every drone ahelp you ever got. If you actually are serious about drones you should ask admins who actually had to deal with tickets about them what they think.
thankfully former admin
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20553

Nervere

Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Postby Nervere » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:32 am #478458

Hulkamania wrote:Neither provide anything meaningful or fun to the game, rather they just act as a second life with nothing unique about them.

What? Why? That's literally the entire point of ghost roles. They allow players to get back into the game without significantly affecting anything.
Does the beach bum ruin seem inconsequential to the round? That's because it's supposed to be, ghost roles are in the background.

To answer your question, Shadowflame - the config is OK right now. You've got a misunderstanding with some things here, though. ERP isn't a config change, it's a rule. There's no special ERP stuff locked behind a config, it's simply a matter of policy.
Drones will stay off until we get better logging for it. It was REALLY bad trying to handle drone tickets when most of the stuff they did, like building, wasn't logged anywhere, at all. If coders add logging for it, I'd be more than happy to try to bring it back.
As for lavaland ruins, I agree with Repukan on the xeno ruin. I've never seen it used for anything but self-antagging. I'll open a thread about this when it comes time and we can discuss disabling it.

Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master

Postby Hulkamania » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:13 am #478481

Nervere wrote:What? Why? That's literally the entire point of ghost roles. They allow players to get back into the game without significantly affecting anything.
Does the beach bum ruin seem inconsequential to the round? That's because it's supposed to be, ghost roles are in the background.

I see the vet ruin being used to look around for nearby loot spawns, rush them, then head back to the station immediately. The syndie comms station offers a place for players to try out virus mixes, chem grenades, and mess with the station via voice changers. The golem ruin lets them mine, research, and produce science gadgets. The lifebringer pod lets them practice botany and grow some unique plants not nearly as often seen like gatfruit and cherry bombs.

The vet office and the beach bum dome provide none of these incentives to actually play with the roles, they're strictly used to re-spawn and beeline for the station itself. Even Charlie-Station offers some challenges and interesting features about it, it's not just a re-do on your last life.

Those two ghost roles aren't "in the background" because they aren't doing their own thing, they're only used to become regular crewmembers again, with the caveat that they have to make it back to the mining station to do so.

Nervere

Postby Nervere » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:51 am #478521

I’ll concede that the vet ruin is quite useless and that probably can’t be fixed, but the beach bum ruin is pretty fun with good opportunity for roleplay, and if most people use it as a means to escape back to the station, it’s as simple as making a code change to the ruin so that they can’t leave the ruin anymore. Config removal should be a last resort, and unless the ruin is beyond hope, like the xenomorph ruin, a code solution should be sought our first.

Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master

Postby Hulkamania » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:29 am #478543

By that definition the xenomorph ruin could easily be fixed by removing the facehuggers from it. I can count on one hand the number of times the beach bum ruin has ACTUALLY been used for roleplaying purposes, especially considering the bums can't talk in galactic common. Making it impossible for them to leave doesn't really fix the issue then that there's nothing special about the area. There's nothing for a person who's spawned in to DO if they can't leave. The most you can hope for is to get bartender and make drinks, which no one will consume.

Like I mentioned all the other roles have something interesting and engaging going for them, those two do not.

MortoSasye

Byond Username: MortoSasye

Postby MortoSasye » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:42 am #478550

I don't have any plan to change config options unless it's a controversial one that is disliked by a large amount of the community.
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
DICK PILLS HERE
NSFW:

D&B

Byond Username: Repukan

Postby D&B » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:16 am #479084

Thinking back on this, if it is a config option, I would like to turn off OOC during ongoing rounds.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?

J_Madison wrote:that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you

ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.

Nervere

Postby Nervere » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:58 pm #479279

You are correct, OOC during rounds is a config option.

Return to Archived/Deleted