[Deleted] What experience do you have with managing a server?

Resolved.

Moderator: Board Moderators

CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

What experience do you have with managing a server?

Postby CitrusGender » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:18 pm #510443

As headmin, you're not only going to be managing policy and bans but you're going to be managing a server. But the thing is, none of your policy, rule changes, or events mean anything if you're not able to have at least one headmin to manage a server and keeping it up when a problem arises. Being a keyholder isn't as easy as just pressing restart/test-merge when shit goes sour, you need to have a basis knowledge of how to deal with networks and navigating cyberboss's TGS panel. Additionally, it helps to have atleast a basic knowledge of code since you're going to be messing with test-merges and figuring out what goes wrong.

So for that matter, why should we trust you with the keys to the server? What have you done to prove to us that you're able to deal with managing the server when there's tons of drama and the cards are stacked against you?

It's no secret that some people have no idea what to do when shit hits the fan so what makes me believe that you're not going to just twiddle your thumbs and do nothing while other people fix it for you?
thanks to ninjanomnom for making my signature

Stickymayhem
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Re: What experience do you have with managing a server?

Postby Stickymayhem » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:31 pm #510445

Done it twice, two years as a sysadmin, I should be alright.

terranaut
TGMC Lead

Byond Username: Terranaut

Postby terranaut » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:38 pm #510447

I don't have much experience with directly administrating servers but I've always had to work with server and network infrastructure as part of my job and currently still do so, thus I'm confident I'll get a feel for it quickly.

Tell me I'm a good monki: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=24558

Nervere

Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Postby Nervere » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:41 pm #510448

I don't expect candidates to know a lot about Cyberboss' TGS control panel unless they already have experience.
I expect them to have patience, restraint, and at least some idea what they're doing.

If, as a keyholder, you:
- Make changes without telling other keyholders
- Press buttons before asking others what they do
- Start touching shit that you don't know the function of

... you're going to have a bad time.
Key holders are given two problems: Firstly, MSO is mostly inactive, yet he controls all of the permissions. As a key holder, even a headmin, you don't have full access to the server.
This means you'll need to do some gimmicky stuff to get around his dumbass permissions system, while also being careful and not breaking what you touch.
Secondly, TGS is buggy, outdated, and its sole developer, Cyberboss, is inactive. You'll need to work with that hunk of garbage often, so you need to teach yourself its full functionality and what you can and cannot do.

Citrus' question here is pretty important to him, and it is to me, too.
Why should you be trusted with the technical side of the server? How can the other key holders know you're not going to fuck stuff up?

jcll

Byond Username: Jcll
Github Username: jcll

Postby jcll » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:10 pm #510455

Sysadmin for many groups in the past. As well as top leadership is multiple eve online alliances with over 15K members. And that cathearding job is much worse then anything that could be thrown at me here.

Virtual John
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Virtual John

Postby Virtual John » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:10 pm #510498

I'm going to be real honest with you chief. I don't have a single clue on how the remote access thing works, but we all have to start somewhere. I'm willing to learn and the Heart of the cards to help me with everything else.

Plapatin
In-Game Game Master

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
Byond Username: Plapatin

Postby Plapatin » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:20 pm #510553

i took a community college class on servers and networking once, and i do ask questions all the time so i'll probably be fine
wesoda25 wrote:i had a dream that me and some friends were like in this tribal village and we were all doing cocaine around this massive bonfire and I kept seeing all these foreshadowing elements that we were gonna die but i just did more cocaine

Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Hulkamania

Postby Hulkamania » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:49 pm #510564

I have the experience that I carried with me on my term. I'm totally comfortable with the basic day-to-day stuff, but the more intensive things I've had to make an active effort to learn. I'm still not 100% solid on it, but that's why I'm rather in favor of the whole operations team thing. Obviously an MSO decision and not my own, but I'm willing to admit when I'm not completely qualified in an area.

I know enough to restart things when they go down, to manage the config and motd, and the other small things I've picked up here and there from the other Key Holders. I think my record speaks for itself when it comes to trust.

Shadowflame909

Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here
Byond Username: Shadowflame909

Postby Shadowflame909 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:00 am #510569

I'll be frank. This is a skill that I have 0% experience in entirely.

But we all have to start from somewhere. With so many game-masters knowing how this system works, I believe that it won't be one that hard to pick up the bare basics on.

I understand the very fragile nature of these mechanics. So I'd always be cautious around it until I started learning how to use it.

You have my word on it.

Spoiler:

ThanatosRa wrote:My biggest problem is that I can't fix any of this.

Boris wrote:shadowflame either has a brain the size of a pea or one the size of the moon and he's playing 58D chess.

BeeSting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.

BebeYoshi wrote:Saltyflame909

Cobby wrote:The trash bin... have you lost your way home anon?

SpacePrius

Byond Username: SpacePrius

Postby SpacePrius » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:39 am #510644

I have no experience with SS13 server running, but for the past 2 and a half years I have been an administrator on an extremely large 4000+ member discord server from the time it was 900 members and I have learned alot about what it takes to manage a large group of idiots.

NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: NikNakflak

Postby NikNakFlak » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:19 am #510706

I've setup countless linux servers. I was an information science graduate which gave me a solid background in information security, programming, and servers. Somewhere out there I still have a dark web server chugging along. I'm pretty confident in my technical abilities and I am no stranger to the technical side of running a game server.
REDACTED
pm for deets

Karp

Byond Username: Ambassador Magikarp

Postby Karp » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:00 am #513144

i spilled soda on a laptop and i shut my friends minecraft server down

I think I'm experienced enough.

wubli

Byond Username: Wubli

Postby wubli » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:10 am #513183

i know polls close soon but i'll clarify that i learned how to testmerge like one week ago and i was taught everything necessary (server restarting and such) when i became a headmin, even if you're a big dummy like me you'll be able to do it easily with some help
part time admin ♡ full time e̸̷͘l̕͝d̕r̛͘͢͟͡i҉҉t́͟͠c̷͝h̸̡͠ ̀̕͟ą͘͘͠b҉̕͠ò̸̡͢͞m̸̀̕͜͡i͞ǹ̕͟͞͝ą̸͘͟͞t͘͢͜i͏̵̛́͝ó̡͢ń̀͘͘
what's cooking good looking i'm jill desouza and i'm here to try

Return to Archived/Deleted