Disable assistant maint?

Moderator: oranges

Forum rules
Anyone can make a thread to ask all candidates a question.

ONLY CANDIDATES MAY REPLY TO A THREAD [details]
MrStonedOne
Host

Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Disable assistant maint?

Postby MrStonedOne » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:34 am #573174

This policy thread hasn't been resolved yet so I thought I'd ask the Candidates this very question.

Disabling assistant maintenance access could also come with a removal of sec maint access.

Thread: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=27061
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder

MrStonedOne on Reddit(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord.

Jack7D1 wrote:After reviewing the history of our previous host(s) I conclude that MSO is our most favorable host to date. To remove him would be very unwise.
Jack7D1 wrote:I seem to be mistaken

RiskySikh

Byond Username: RiskySikh

Re: Disable assistant maint?

Postby RiskySikh » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:39 am #573177

What I have gathered from that thread, it seems that there is a clean division from those that want to disable it and not. The ones that want to disable access tend to come from the MRP point of view, while the ones that don't want it to be disabled come from LRP(Terry,Bagil,Sybil). In my view, I feel that for the MRP servers they should disable maintenance access, but in the LRP servers they should not disable any access for maint.

RaveRadbury
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Postby RaveRadbury » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:53 am #573180

I think we should give this a shot for like a weekend or two and get some actual rounds with this experience. We absolutely have the ability to try it out and reconvene afterward. Sec maintenance removal is also something to consider. We can try all sorts of permutations. We can tweak for individual servers.

We can armchair as much as we want about these kinds of changes, but I really think that we should actually try them rather than having to make a big decision all at once for stuff we can't accurately predict the impact of.

skoglol wrote:Since this is now a headmin election discussion as well, lets talk length. A lot of the early suggestions in viewtopic.php?f=52&t=27356 talk about a weekend or two, and that is quite frankly just pointless. If this is going to be a valuable test, it needs to be a thing for long enough for players to adjust to it and start playing as if it was a fact of life. This change will cause a shift of players going to other jobs for access, and that is the point. The threshold for contributing as <current needed role> is a lot lower if you are already playing that role, and filling our regular job slots is a positive development despite some people trying to paint it as a negative. If people break our rules or toe the line as a result of chasing maint access, its an admin issue and we can deal with it accordingly.

Needs to be at least a couple of week, ideally a month or so. It does not have to be a tg-wide test, though it should be applied to at least one non-mrp highpop server.

In light of this post in the original policy thread, I acknowledge the point skoglol is making here as valid. These sorts of things do require sizable trials if they are to be made into permanent config changes. I do think that some preliminary weekends before any sizable trial would still be appropriate.
Last edited by RaveRadbury on Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How's my administrating? Call 1-800-RADBURY
ImageImageImage
Heart Emoji ~ Winter Ball Queen 2019

Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Head Admin

Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Postby Coconutwarrior97 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:56 am #573182

This isn't something I'm a particular fan of, but Im willing to give it a shot for a weekend or two as rave has said himself.

Naloac
In-Game Head Admin

Byond Username: Naloac

Postby Naloac » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:41 am #573206

Doing this will just have these people that are problem tiders to swap to engineering or paramedic and will end with them just power gaming harder. If its becoming a problem maybe the access isnt the problem but the specific player is?
I Might Be an admin, You should leave me feedback: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=24032
The best goddamn Comment on my youtube videos.

Stickymayhem
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Postby Stickymayhem » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:58 am #573254

We've tried this before and it wasn't very effective. It basically just pushes assistants into demanding access en masse, taking other rules or becoming more disruptive in public areas.

We can trial it for a weekend or something but I don't expect it to be very useful in any way.

Jack7D1

Byond Username: Jack7D1

Postby Jack7D1 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:51 am #573278

Nothing ventured nothing gained!
Let's do it
Elysius Languida is a pacifist moth who dies every round.

NecromancerAnne

Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Postby NecromancerAnne » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:38 am #573487

There is a genuine portion of players who may actively attempt to be disruptive in protest to a change like this, even temporarily, to skew perspection of the situation. A trial period is likely going to attract people behaving in bad faith.

A lot of people here have considered a trial to be a way to gauge player behaviour, but have you considered this problem as a possibility?

Fatal
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: FatalX1

Postby Fatal » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:30 am #573497

Worth a trial run perhaps but I don't see a major reason for this

As other people have said, this could lead to people simply dropping assistant, picking the jobs which do have maint, and just doing whatever it is they did before, which would then also possibly restrict job slots for those people who do actually want to play the other jobs properly

actioninja
Code Maintainer

Byond Username: Actioninja

Postby actioninja » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:40 am #573890

I'd be willing to give it a shot, but as others have already said and I can personally vouch for as well people will deliberately sabotage it. Needs to be a long trial run.
I have doubts about the assistant mains switching jobs fearmongering as well.

iamgoofball
Github User

Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Postby iamgoofball » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:59 pm #574030

let's fuck around and find out if its good or not

PKPenguin321
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Postby PKPenguin321 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:10 am #574088

This is the kinda thing that could probably use a player poll and some test runs. Not something I'd likely commit to in the long term since I personally dislike it strongly. What's the point of half the shit in maint in half the maps if you block the main people that go through it from doing so? That said, if there's great player interest and good feedback after tests, I'd most likely bend the knee to it.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:

Return to Candidate Debates