What do candidates read?

Moderator: oranges

Forum rules
Anyone can make a thread to ask all candidates a question.

ONLY CANDIDATES MAY REPLY TO A THREAD [details]
Omni

Byond Username: Omni44

What do candidates read?

Postby Omni » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:46 pm #573379

Allright listen! We could spend... a lot of time hearing out your bright ideas, dangerously hot takes on whatever controversial issue of the day is, and you lavishing us with catchy slogans and snarky remarks about each other. While entertaining (for us, the crowd), none of this realistically matters. The best metric by which average joe like me can make a choice between your lot is personal experience with particular candidate, but that is spotty and unreliable method. Which is why I am ager to know:
- What literature do you read?
- Who is your favourite author?
- What was the last book you read?
- Which book would you recommend to dearest people of tgstation, and why?
This I believe will hopefully help the better read part of our comunity make up their mind about candidates as the people, people who are to steer this ship for next six months, our elites.
And if you do not read, it is most fine, that too is valuable information on its own.

Domitius
In-Game Head Admin

Byond Username: Domitius

Re: What do candidates read?

Postby Domitius » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:26 am #573475

Big fan of science-fiction/space opera as well as mystery books where you are trying to piece how everything works together, though I consistently fail at solving the mystery before the book lays it out for me.

Tie between Tom Robbins and Terry Pratchett.

I'm currently reading through my collection of stainless steel rat books, The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World to be specific. Honestly it's a super trashy sci-fi James Bond like series of a master criminal(In space!) who works for a secretive government. It's hard to put down and I'm always smiling ear to ear while I go through it.

Heck I gotta put two down, sorry. Tom Robbins "Jitterbug Perfume" and "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert M. Pirsig. Jitterbug perfume is just this wonderful tale spanning many hundreds of years as several different stories intertwine into a beautiful climax. I think other members in tgstation would love the chaos already present in this book and become more adventurous after have read it. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance has very actual little advice on motorcycle maintenance and is more of an exploration in how ones words have action and to be more present which I believe everybody could benefit from.

Naloac
In-Game Head Admin

Byond Username: Naloac

Postby Naloac » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:17 am #573490

Anime light novel garbage, 40k books, dystopian stuff.
Kugane Maruyama Author of overlord just because of that series of books.
Metro 2033
The King in yellow, its really good
I Might Be an admin, You should leave me feedback: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=24032
The best goddamn Comment on my youtube videos.

PostThis post was deleted by oranges on Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:16 pm.
Reason: not a candidate

Naloac
In-Game Head Admin

Byond Username: Naloac

Postby Naloac » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:21 am #573526

Jin wrote:removed post as not a candidate

I read horus rising yeaaaaaaaaars ago. I read the next few in the series at the same time but stopped cos I didnt have the time then I forgot it all. Im starting to restart reading it now.
I Might Be an admin, You should leave me feedback: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=24032
The best goddamn Comment on my youtube videos.

Stickymayhem
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Postby Stickymayhem » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:37 am #573528

some sci-fi, some fantasy but almost always non-fiction at this point

Toss up between Terry Pratchett andArthur C. Clarke

I read the city and the stars for the thousandth time

I think the city and the stars. It's not arthur c clarke's best known work but it's about a stagnant advanced society and the mechanisms required to keep a human society stable for millions of years. It influenced me quite a bit, and I still take some lessons from it. I think it explains some of what I do around the microcosm society that is /tg/station

Memedokter

Byond Username: Memedokter

Postby Memedokter » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:35 pm #573636

What literature do you read?

•I've read a lot of different types of literature from fantasy to sci-fi and its subsection cyberpunk, horror and thrillers.
Who is your favourite author?

•Honestly as trite as it feels i would have to say H.P Lovecraft. The way he captured this unknowable fear that reaches right into humanity is always captivating.
What was the last book you read?

•If i recall i was reading Mattimeo from the Redwall series.
Which book would you recommend to dearest people of tgstation, and why?

•Honestly i think the start of the Redwall series the eponymous Redwall is a lovely book that anyone from any age and walk of life could pick up and enjoy young or old.
Image Image
Image Image

actioninja
Code Maintainer

Byond Username: Actioninja

Postby actioninja » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:05 am #573697

I don't read as much as I'd like to anymore. Find myself busy or doing something else a lot of the time. I'm not sure what the last thing I really sat down to read was.
Gotta say my favorite author is Kafka though with my favorite of his being The Trial. Pulls you into a nightmarish web of bureaucracy, makes you think a lot about the tediousness of some of your daily systems. Maybe even some of those you've constructed yourself.

RaveRadbury
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Postby RaveRadbury » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:15 am #573698

• I like sci-fi short stories. Especially ones that provide a twilight-zone style of entertainment.
  • Ray Bradbury is the top of my list, with Philip K. Dick coming in second
  • Last book I read was Meddling Kids, a lovecraftian take on Scooby-Doo
  • I'd recommend Philip K. Dick, I think his material is pretty good and he captured a kind of paranoia that I think resonates with SS13.
How's my administrating? Call 1-800-RADBURY
ImageImageImage
Heart Emoji ~ Winter Ball Queen 2019

iamgoofball
Github User

Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Postby iamgoofball » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:12 pm #574042

I read fanfiction and shit. It's fun.

I used to read a lot of fantasy books but I realized the vast majority of them are extremely misogynistic, racist, and sometimes are written by completely batshit libertarians like the Sword of Truth series. Jesus Christ, that series is fucking awful.

Return to Candidate Debates