do you have any cool or exciting plans/suggestions for the new™ operations team

Moderator: oranges

Forum rules
Anyone can make a thread to ask all candidates a question.

ONLY CANDIDATES MAY REPLY TO A THREAD [details]
bobbahbrown

Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

do you have any cool or exciting plans/suggestions for the new™ operations team

Postby bobbahbrown » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:16 pm #592618

hello candidates!

over the past 3 months we have seen the organization of an operations team, a small group of trusted individuals whose purpose is to assist MSO with running and improving the underlying infrastructure and systems of our communities. this is something that several people in the community have hoped for through many years, and i think it is very exciting that we are finally seeing this idea come to fruition.

now that we have the foundation of this team i would like to ask if you have any opinions on how you would like to work alongside and interact with this team, or even ideas of changes you would like to see during your term.

just for some examples of what we're currently thinking of doing, and in the early stages of implementing...
  • a greater ability for disaster recovery (wherein keyholders and similar roles may have better abilities to help servers that have gone unresponsive, those which MSO alone may have previously been solely able to fix)
  • new updates/overhauls to the forum and website in general
  • migration of our servers from TGSv3 to TGSv4, which will provide us with much better tools for keyholders to control the servers themselves
  • a greater focus on containerized deployment of servers, or at least an emphasis on servers/vms which we can very easily destroy and recreate at will
you may not have an answer, i wouldn't fault you, im just curious if any of you may have some thoughts or suggestions regarding this topic given your experience within tg.

best wishes,
bobbah 'bee' brown
Last edited by bobbahbrown on Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gogodapogostick
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Gogo9001

Re: do you have any cool or exciting plans with the new™ operations team

Postby Gogodapogostick » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:18 pm #592619

Before I come up with a full answer to this, can you tell me more about this team? What exactly are they capable of doing and who is a part of it?

Naloac
In-Game Head Admin

Byond Username: Naloac

Postby Naloac » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:27 pm #592620

Gogodapogostick wrote:Before I come up with a full answer to this, can you tell me more about this team? What exactly are they capable of doing and who is a part of it?

I also had 0 idea it existed while being headmin for it. This seems like a strictly MSO based question and less an headmin based one
I Might Be an admin, You should leave me feedback: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=24032
The best goddamn Comment on my youtube videos.

MrStonedOne
Host

Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Postby MrStonedOne » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:33 pm #592621

Me, oranges and bee are working on Infrastructure as code, a system to make provisioning new servers as easy as just editing a script and re-running it.

Somebody needs a new webserver to run some new game attached service they are coding? just edit deploy.yml and get me or oranges to hit the big red button.

me, ned and bee will likely also be working on actual webcoding stuff. including re-doing the forums and wiki from the ground up with updated upstream code
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder

MrStonedOne on Reddit(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord.

Jack7D1 wrote:After reviewing the history of our previous host(s) I conclude that MSO is our most favorable host to date. To remove him would be very unwise.
Jack7D1 wrote:I seem to be mistaken

Armhulen
Global Moderator

Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Postby Armhulen » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:39 pm #592623

I fucking love operations team and have been a LONG TIME massive supporter. Long live the team!! I definitely am not qualified to join or really help in any way other than cheering them on so cheer I damn well will

Gogodapogostick
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Gogo9001

Re: do you have any cool or exciting plans/suggestions for the new™ operations team

Postby Gogodapogostick » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:30 pm #592635

Knowing more about this now, the wiki redux sounds like it would be really nice for the way I want to organize the headmin rulings page when I get to it. So if that could get done, that would be great! Other than that, I think I'll interact with the team when serverside changes are needed, or I have questions about the new projects they are working on.

Bytube

Byond Username: Bytube

Re: do you have any cool or exciting plans/suggestions for the new™ operations team

Postby Bytube » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:03 am #592670

Gogodapogostick wrote:Knowing more about this now, the wiki redux sounds like it would be really nice for the way I want to organize the headmin rulings page when I get to it. So if that could get done, that would be great! Other than that, I think I'll interact with the team when serverside changes are needed, or I have questions about the new projects they are working on.

I agree here, interaction between the operations team and headmins would probably be mostly situational based on current events.

Not to imply I'm against the idea of an operations team, its definitely something I think would be needed.
world famous lizard lawyer

oranges
Code Maintainer

Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Postby oranges » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:58 am #592687

as one fo the people who spent ages badgering mso about it, it's about reducing the risk of mso being run over by a train and the server infrastructure being completely lost control of

Cyberboss
Code Maintainer

Byond Username: Cyberboss
Github Username: Cyberboss

Postby Cyberboss » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:10 am #592710

oranges wrote:as one fo the people who spent ages badgering mso about it, it's about reducing the risk of mso being run over by a train and the server infrastructure being completely lost control of

Now if only I could get the same support for TGS :agony:
ImageImage

Timberpoes
Code Maintainer

Byond Username: Timberpoes

Postby Timberpoes » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:51 am #592727

As we have seen earlier today with Terry's downtime, more convenient disaster recovery would be something very damn useful. I'm positive our players will appreciate redunancy when it comes to personnel who can recover genuinely hard crashed servers, if such a thing is practically possible.

Upgrades and overhauls to the website? I can't say that the website is bad per sé, but it is a bit simple. If Ned's contributions lead to improved tooling on tgdb and improved admin tooling in general then I am genuinely excited for the future of admin tools. Gotta reach my monthly quotas or I get beaten. Maybe a flashier frontpage would be nice - I have no clue what's in store for the wiki either and won't pretend to know a thing about webdev. I'd call what we have now functional - If it can be improved, I can't wait to see both how it's improved and what those improvements are.

Containerised servers? Incredible. If Headmins and Keyholders had the infrastructure to spool up event servers at will, it could be a massive boon especially considering some other headmin platforms. I hope the other headmins who have special event servers and other codebases in their platforms forgive me forgetting who they are - But if you could please speak up and make yourself known, it genuinely sounds like you guys would really benefit from this part of bobbah's post and I think this would be a good opportunity for you put forward your ideas for working with the Ops Team to make these things a reality.

If I won a Headmin vote and that infrastructure became available during my term, I would definitely want to spool up limited-time special event servers with either different codebases or overhauls like Arm's syndiestation. I'd absolutely support my fellow Headmins in running special event servers like this as well and if no candidates running on that platform won, I would be highly interested in working with these players anyway and bridging between the headmin team as a whole to bring some of their ideas into reality.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Admin: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship.

RaveRadbury
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Postby RaveRadbury » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:42 am #593500

Really looking forward to new forums. So many opportunities with new setup. Tell me more about this, Bee.

I hope to have keyholder eventually, the idea of being able to spin up temporary servers sounds very cool and would make actual event servers way easier and more casual than they currently are.
How's my administrating? Call 1-800-RADBURY
ImageImageImage
Heart Emoji ~ Winter Ball Queen 2019

Nalzul
TGMC Administrator

Byond Username: Blargety

Postby Nalzul » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:34 am #594480

I think the best thing headmins can do to support the ops team's endeavors is to utilize the tools they can give us. With a new site and forum there are topics we can bring up, such as an admin application thread, establishing a complete list of headmin ruling, and more topics that will come to us in the future. Additionally with additional VMs we can work to make separate code bases like we have with TGMC, and delegate those tasks to people we think would be fit, just like how the past headmins have with Rohesie. We could also run more event maps with these VMs, like how we typically did with the festival balls, and toolboxing for a cause.

Return to Candidate Debates