Gamemaster role relevancy

Moderator: oranges

Forum rules
Anyone can make a thread to ask all candidates a question.

ONLY CANDIDATES MAY REPLY TO A THREAD [details]
terranaut

Byond Username: Terranaut

Gamemaster role relevancy

Postby terranaut » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:56 pm #592658

My question is directly related to another question/answer originally posted in this thread, quoting coconuts answer:
Coconutwarrior97 wrote:GameMasters have been a valuable source of advice/knowledge in the past for me and that is why I'd like to see them kept around, because they have an important use to headmins.

Why does an individual need to be a Gamemaster to fill this role? What's stopping you from just asking someobdy if you have a question you want some advice on? Why does that individual need special protections relating to their gamemaster role to be able to answer your questions instead of being somebody you just dm when you need some former-headmin input?

I would have just asked it in the thread but oranges doesn't like that for some reason so here we are.

Stickymayhem
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Re: Gamemaster role relevancy

Postby Stickymayhem » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:25 pm #592794

There's a channel the headmins infrequently ping for opinions and having the perspective of someone who's been around for years can be helpful. Most frequently this comes down to letting some shitter back in who was a terror a few years ago but now no one but the oldies remembers. Occasionally it's to do with policy, or a returning admin, or just to bounce ideas off in a smaller group who've been through headmin before.

It's not necessary, doesn't do any harm, and is occasionally useful. Super easy pinata for populists to attach their distaste for elitism onto and hand out bats though.

Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be

Timberpoes
Code Maintainer

Byond Username: Timberpoes

Postby Timberpoes » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:22 pm #592800

I wasn't going to give this a response since your question is, in my opinion, mired in a specific agenda. I don't believe that is a question asked in good faith and I don't believe you're looking for a genuine answer. I believe you're looking for people to say "There's no reason, let's get rid of the rank" - however since Sticky took the bait, I'm going to wade into this with my own highly naive and idealistic world view and give you my opinion on it.

In my eyes, the Game Master role is all about the pomp and grandeur, about tradition and about recognising those who have volunteered their time for the benefit of the server as a whole in the past. It's a handshake from the incoming Headmins to the outgoing former-Headmins saying "Thanks for your service. You know how everything works. Here's a neat title, keep most of your high-level powers, stick around and help us out with things from time-to-time and we're gucci."

You don't technically NEED ancient Game Masters with their full length and breadth of forum, Discord and game powers sitting around. This goes double for inactive ones. You could just give them a purely ceremonial title (like former game admins get) and stick them in a retirement home channel and bug them anytime you need some ancient history. Others could stick around as game admins or whatever if they're gonna continue to be active. But I feel that's a disservice to the length and breadth of what Game Masters are fully capable of and how they're able to perform delegated functions from any branch of our administation. Need forums cheekily moderating? PKP's got your back. Need an in-game rank changing? Any GM can log on and grant Event Runner, Debugger, Admin Candidate, etc. Need Discord cleaning up? You don't NEED a formal Discord Jannie title to delete posts, kick people, rename channels and move people around channels - You don't need to be ACTIVE to perform any of these functions either.

They are trusted players. They have EARNED that trust through service to the server as Headmins. That trust is manifested in the Game Master rank and the full breadth of powers and responsibilities that come with it. They don't need those powers, other people can perform the same functions - But it's damn nice to have a second string team around to be able to delegate things to from time-to-time and handle the occasional bit of day-to-day grunt work that may otherwise go undone.

That being said, I absolutely expect Game Masters to be held to the highest of high standards when it comes to admin conduct. The rank is not and should not be untouchable and with the powers and perks granted to Game Masters come the equally lofty responsibilities to use them in the best interests of the server and its playerbase. Fail to uphold the standards expected of a former Headmin and I fully expect them to be stripped of their formal ranks.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Admin: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship.

RiskySikh

Byond Username: RiskySikh

Postby RiskySikh » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:10 pm #592840

terranaut wrote:My question is directly related to another question/answer originally posted in this thread, quoting coconuts answer:
Coconutwarrior97 wrote:GameMasters have been a valuable source of advice/knowledge in the past for me and that is why I'd like to see them kept around, because they have an important use to headmins.

Why does an individual need to be a Gamemaster to fill this role? What's stopping you from just asking someobdy if you have a question you want some advice on? Why does that individual need special protections relating to their gamemaster role to be able to answer your questions instead of being somebody you just dm when you need some former-headmin input?

I would have just asked it in the thread but oranges doesn't like that for some reason so here we are.

Facts, exactly this is what I keep telling people gamemaster is just some fancy role for ex headmins to keep their power, despite being burnt out. And people say that they help provide their expertise in how to run the community, they can do that without some fancy admin role.

MrStonedOne
Host

Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Postby MrStonedOne » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:57 pm #592849

We have 78 game admins, not including game master and headmins, 98 if you include them and me. If you give all 98 admins a highly abusable power, one of them is gonna abuse it. It's not a statement about the admins, but more a statement about numbers and probability.

Game master has typically been where we put permissions we don't want to give to *all* 98 admins due to abuse potential, but we need more than 3 people to have them for load balancing reasons.

Back before discord jannies we would only give discord ban and discord change nickname to game masters, why, because by default banning somebody removes every message they sent in the past 24 hours and you have to remember to change that and i doubted that all 98 admins could do so and we can't have transparency if you have to trust the admin to accurately detail what was really said that was bannable. (mass deletes aren't always logged by log bots the way normal deletes are). Change nickname was restricted because its a memeable permission, and you can't have 98 people memeing with the same permission without getting some admin complaints.

If you are against game masters, how do you see this kind of issue being solved in the future?

Admin ranks? How do you create that without drama and losing admin moral?

Giving all admins all permissions? 100% unworkable. We can't even give @everyone to game masters as it is, such a system would basically mean that either 3 people have the permission, or 100 people have the permission, no middle ground.

Making admin trainer something its not? This would require changing the premises behind the role that game admins and admin trainers are equal in the hierarchy.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder

MrStonedOne on Reddit(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord.

Jack7D1 wrote:After reviewing the history of our previous host(s) I conclude that MSO is our most favorable host to date. To remove him would be very unwise.
Jack7D1 wrote:I seem to be mistaken

terranaut

Byond Username: Terranaut

Postby terranaut » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:34 pm #593409

Timberpoes wrote:words

Me having an opinion on a topic does not mean it's set in stone and that I can't look for the reason people have a different opinion and possibly adjust mine. I don't like the whole bad faith preclude but thanks for your input regardless, likewise to MSO for the mechanical reasons behind it.
Input or opinions from the other candidates would be appreciated too.

Return to Candidate Debates