What do you feel is your biggest weakness? Strength?

Moderator: oranges

Forum rules
Anyone can make a thread to ask all candidates a question.

ONLY CANDIDATES MAY REPLY TO A THREAD [details]
Domitius
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Domitius
Github Username: DomitiusKnack

What do you feel is your biggest weakness? Strength?

Postby Domitius » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:03 am #593299

What do you feel is your biggest weakness that you think would be relevant as a headmin? For example do you think you are a sucker for being buttered up or do you have a hard time with applying disciplinary action? Does log diving cause you to immediately pass out?(Who doesn't suffer from this) Do you feel that you can be stubborn to a fault when you're on the defensive or not able to accept when you're wrong?

One of the biggest things I've found as headmin is confronting my weaknesses and making sure I don't let them shape my judgement. For example I know that flattery softens me up so I've taken steps to distance myself emotionally from situations and to make sure to pass on complete conversations to the other headmins in case I've shown favour that wasn't obvious to me.

Working with not only your other headmins but with both the admin team and player base puts you in a lot of situations. Knowing what you need to watch out for is vital.

On the other foot though what do you feel is your biggest strength? For example can you de-escalate situations well? How do you feel you handle tense conversations? Let us know!

Gogodapogostick
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Gogo9001

Re: What do you feel is your biggest weakness? Strength?

Postby Gogodapogostick » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:11 am #593303

I feel as though my biggest weakness is that I can be a bit too forgiving at times, and I like to give people second chances quite a bit. When it needs to get done, I will do it, though it does make me sad at times to do so. I do believe, however, that the other headmins will keep this in check through discussions, and I will do my best to harden up for the role as I have for the adminning process in general.

My biggest strength is that I can keep emotion and opinion out of administrative matters very well. I feel as though I can do a good job at staying unbiased, which is extremely important in a role that interacts with the community as much as headminning does. I will be sure to utilize this skill to the best of my abilities if I win this election, and it should make my rulings much more fair.

Armhulen
Global Moderator

Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Postby Armhulen » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:13 am #593304

Procrastination, it just shows up more in my coding projects than it does say, day to day adminning and other mod stuff

MrAlphonzo
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: MrAlphonzo

Postby MrAlphonzo » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:25 pm #593412

I'm stubborn. Its my biggest strength, and weakness.

I'm consistent. You know what you're getting.
Not the kind of person to get buttered up, intimated, or care more about popularity contests than actually doing my job.

I know I have a reputation for picking some weird hills to die on and don't back down all that quickly, but those instances are awfully rare when you compare it to the bulk of other work I've done on the server over the last 4 years.
I've got a lot of time on staff to back up my bullheaded attitude.
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote:i love alphonzo and he can be a lot of fun but bro you need to get laid come on

Timberpoes
Code Maintainer

Byond Username: Timberpoes

Postby Timberpoes » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:18 pm #593416

Biggest weakness is something I'll be the first to admit and something I brought up myself in my own candidate thread - I can have streaks of headstrong self-confidence and mule-like obstinate stubbornness. If I believe I'm correct it takes a lot of effort to convince me otherwise. I have a lot of self-confidence in my own subjective opinions. I will advocate for my own viewpoints with fervor.

I feel my biggest strength is my ability to communicate with people despite this. I've always got time to sit down and chat. I talk to people on Discord, I talk to people in DMs and I am fully willing to explain my own views. I have a history of this for anyone who has interacted with me as an admin and as a maintainer. I also believe I have a good grasp when when to agree to disagree and simply walk away from a heated situation to let it cool down. I advoacte on behalf of things I believe in and Iike to explain not just the whats but also the whys of my beliefs and ideas. Communication also includes listening too and even if I don't agree, I will still listen and incorporate other opinions into my own world view at every possible opportunity as part of either compromise or forming a broadly agreed consensus.

I have some examples of where the views of others have had influence on my own in support of this strength and mitigating what I believe is my biggest weakness:

My views on the Manuel server's general health and player views are strongly influenced by Hulkamania's very persuasive arguments over a great many admin-channel debates on Discord; the vast majority of players on Manuel are just quietly playing, happy with how things are - Manuel is one of our most consistently populated servers and by all metrics has been a huge success.

Meanwhile, my approach to player punishment when dealing with rule breaks is strongly influenced by something Phuzzylodgik once said in response to ban evaders flying under the radar, paraphrasing; if a ban evader is playing on the server and following the rules so they don't get put on the admins' radars, then that's all we wanted in the first place - For them to follow the rules. I took Phuzzy's viewpoints and incorporated them into my wider approach to administrating, with the justification behind any admin action I take being - To advance the goal that players are just playing on the servers, following the rules and having fun.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Admin: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship.

Armhulen
Global Moderator

Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Postby Armhulen » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:39 pm #593445

My strength is that I'm like here in 2021 as a game master still clocking in 5 rounds per day : )

NamelessFairy
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: NamelessFairy

Postby NamelessFairy » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:51 pm #593620

My biggest weakness is by far my ability to get derailed and distracted easily. I have a tendency to start new projects midway through working on another and it can cause large scale projects of mine to become quite messy in terms of planning.

But on the other hand, I'd say my biggest strength is my planning ability. I'm a very organized person and tend to create quite elaborate plans for anything I want to work on. I find it enjoyable to plan out large scale projects, so its not something I get derailed with.

Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Head Admin

Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Postby Coconutwarrior97 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:36 am #593826

I can have very strong initial gut reactions to things, I'd say thats my biggest weakness. I'm aware of it though and have learned to be extra sure to take time to mull over big decisions.

Biggest strength would be my passion, I work in spurts, and when I work its typically 3-6 hours of work depending on what all I want to do. Thats when I have the most fun is jamming to music, talking to folks, writing things up, and thinking things out.

Return to Candidate Debates