Public Ban Lists, a quick look back and the future of them.

Resolved.
Domitius
Byond Username: Domitius
Github Username: DomitiusKnack

Public Ban Lists, a quick look back and the future of them.

Post by Domitius » #611763

Over the past term we saw the rise of the public ban list, restricted to permabans only, put up.

How do you feel about them? Do you think we've benefitted from publicizing players permanent bans? Do you have any thoughts on increasing the types of bans posted publicly?
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Re: Public Ban Lists, a quick look back and the future of them.

Post by Armhulen » #611783

public permabans was great. probably leave full public bans to a vote
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #611785

Public perma bans was a good idea. We use the CentCom global database enough to warrant contributing to it ourselves.

On that regard, something I've noticed when talking to other admins WRT permabans is that now that they're public, to provide enough context for those who don't have access to a player's extensive note history. I think this is a fantastic side effect of them going public--it helps the player know without any uncertainty what they did to get themselves banned, as well as helping future admins decide appeal cases.

I think we would get a real benefit from this on public bans as well, I would be happy giving admins a vote on it, especially now that we've all become acclimated to public permas.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Cimika
Byond Username: Cimika

Post by Cimika » #611795

It took me a while to warm up to public permabans, as I had concerns relative to harassmenet or bullying that could have come from them.

I think they have been a nice addition, however, and I'm no longer opposed to a public list of all our bans. They are great to recontextualise some things with the players, it also would help them see that we DO take actions even if it isn't as obvious sometimes.
Queen of the 2020 Summer Ball
Spoiler:
From the legendary ShadowFlame thread :

Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #611870

Public permabans good. Highlight work of admin team in dealing with ban evaders. Limited peanut level for permabans. Greater player understanding of how and when we permaban.

Bingo checklist -> Admin transparency and accountability plus one. Recent ATHATH permaban example. Allows community to hold admins to account where fellow admins fail to do so. Part of tg governance.

Public permabans were subtle. Workable.

Public allbans massive, sweeping change. More iffy. Contentious within admin team, contentious within player base. Not implementing unlikely to upset people. Implementing more likely to upset both admins and players.

Always an option to go back to status quo if change is monumental failure, however no undo button for already publicised bans. Think twice, act once.

Issue would inevitably arise as part of headmin term. Would consult host, would consult headmins, would consult admins, would consult players. Consult Sacred Oracle. Huff water from sacred pool.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #611874

Timberpoes wrote:Public permabans good. Highlight work of admin team in dealing with ban evaders. Limited peanut level for permabans. Greater player understanding of how and when we permaban.

Bingo checklist -> Admin transparency and accountability plus one. Recent ATHATH permaban example. Allows community to hold admins to account where fellow admins fail to do so. Part of tg governance.

Public permabans were subtle. Workable.

Public allbans massive, sweeping change. More iffy. Contentious within admin team, contentious within player base. Not implementing unlikely to upset people. Implementing more likely to upset both admins and players.

Always an option to go back to status quo if change is monumental failure, however no undo button for already publicised bans. Think twice, act once.

Issue would inevitably arise as part of headmin term. Would consult host, would consult headmins, would consult admins, would consult players. Consult Sacred Oracle. Huff water from sacred pool.
This post has Auspicious Feng Shui, nice thought process
tattle
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

Post by tattle » #611884

At the risk of repeating what's already been said, public permabans ended up being a positive source of transparency and accountability for the admin team. I'm not fully opposed to more public bans, but I agree that vote would be a good way to gather input.

If a vote was successful this process could start out gradually, with public perma role bans being a good next step.
Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler:
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #611935

I would love public bans to be a thing, but I think they may require an option for admins to keep some ban reasons hidden for sensitive information. If this could be filtered, so admins and headmins can keep this accountable, that would be beneficial.

This is a whole code solution thing though so appreciate it may not be feasible and it's not something I can endorse as part of a headmin campaign
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #611948

Having public bans has allowed for players to feel that admins are doing more and that regular shitters are getting banned which in some cases has led to a feeling of relief. Expanding this I feel will only add more to this relief. Transparency is such an important thing and the more we have the happier the playerbase will be.
RiskySikh
Byond Username: RiskySikh

Post by RiskySikh » #611965

public bans would be great as we can let other servers know about potential trouble makers or serial griefers
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #612180

Current public bans seem to be doing alright.

I'd want a community meeting and then a vote before moving towards full public bans.
Mailbox
Byond Username: Mailbox

Post by Mailbox » #612493

downside would be people pestering you about not banning people but I generally think it would be a good idea to have all bans public but I would probably leave it to an admin vote.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #612621

public permabans owned, we will hold a vote on public bans, the community will decide