How do you feel about rule 11?

Resolved.
wubli
Byond Username: Wubli

How do you feel about rule 11?

Post by wubli » #612021

As it stands right now, this is the wording of rule 11:
Bigotry is not allowed.
Intentionally seeking to demean others due to their actual or perceived race, sex, gender, orientation or the like is not tolerated.
It is not our goal to create or enforce a list of banned words and instead our goal to eject bigotry from the community. Enforcement will be less PC based and more common sense based with that goal in mind.
The above rule applies to ALL OOC bigotry, even when expressed in IC. There is no racism in 2561, just species-ism, There is no homophobia, just xenophiliapobia, etc.
Admins are encouraged to use rule 1 to deal with instances where """IC""" bigotry is excessive or designed as a mask for ooc bigotry.
How do you feel about it?
Do you think it's been positive for our community?
Do you intend to change it in any way - either to be more lenient or more strict?

At the moment, if someone calls you a slur in-game, you can ahelp them. If you were just called a funny word once, admins will probably not action on it - some may smite the player doing it depending on the severity (someone just saying goddamn awful things), others will tell you to just beat them up, others will not action on it at all if it was just one thing.

Do you think things are fine as they are? What do you think we could do to improve it?
I personally believe that it's been a good rule - even though technically, it already sort of existed (we have rule 1, we were just too afraid to use it for that). I'm curious about your take on it.
Added in edit: Would you consider banning slurs in general?

Also - what is your favourite animal?
Thank you for your time!
argentina campeón :peel: :peel: :peel:
what's cooking good looking i'm jill desouza and i am here to try
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Re: How do you feel about rule 11?

Post by Armhulen » #612022

roll it into "don't be a dick", watch all of our drama shrink into a tiny, owned cob of corn

my favorite animal is frogs
tattle
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

Post by tattle » #612028

The no bigotry rule has definitely been a net positive. There's really no need to bring real-life unpleasantness into an online space game. Despite some initial confusion about how strict we should be, we're slowly figuring it out and making precedents, and I'm happy to see the direction it's been going in.

Boring answer is cats-- very soft, excellent to relax with, I have two. Less boring answer is capybaras, the most chill animals on the face of the earth.
Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler:
Cimika
Byond Username: Cimika

Post by Cimika » #612196

Rule 11 is a rule that needs a broad wording to give it leeway but this also causes it to have an overall very limited impact. Rule 11 is the rule against bigotry, not the rule against slurs.

It works fine for this purpose, but I feel like the overuse of slurs in some part of our community is a net detriment to the server.
Queen of the 2020 Summer Ball
Spoiler:
From the legendary ShadowFlame thread :

Mailbox
Byond Username: Mailbox

Post by Mailbox » #612483

I think rule 11 has generally been a good thing for our server and I intend to take it further with banning the n-word and maybe the T-word as I find these to be the typical braindead nazis go to word when trying to insult someone. homophobia, transphobia or racism has no place in a wacky 2d spaceman game.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #612508

Rule 11 positive influence on servers. Give admin power to crack down on NRP shittery. Over time, come to appreciate more. Scathing review last headmin elections.

Admin enforcement inconsistent. Conjecture as to reason why: Headmins invisible.

When potential Rule 11 arise, admins debate, disagree, consensus difficult to reach. Dislike appeals. Forum backlash offputting. Fear lack of headmin support.

Headmin response usually just ignore discussion, hope it goes away. Ostrich leadership. Head in sand. Terrible approach when limited precedent.

Propose to put forward views and thoughts. Provide preliminary opinions. Engage in discussions. Where precedent lacking, headmin give thoughts and views.

Support admin efforts to enforce. Empower admins with info to make correct choices.

Not be invisible headmin.

Favourite animal axolotl.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #612560

I think it's great. Having just seen a server collapse due to rampant bigotry leading to a discord purge (a server who's leadership and active players consisted almost entirely of people who we rule 11 banned and were finally able to live in a mask off nazi paradise) I think this solved a genuine existential threat to our community.

I just had a conversation that I feel encapsulates the real problem with enforcement other than the obvious one (that there are some admins who don't really care for rule 11 and would rather not have to enforce it).

[spoiler]Stickymayhem: it's so much effort
Stickymayhem: to bwoink over using the n word like that
Stickymayhem: and every time you do it
Stickymayhem: you feel like an overbearing idiot
Stickymayhem: because they've very effectively propagandized the image of manuelmins ruining their server and fun
Stickymayhem: like I'm the guy who whines about it all the time and even when I bwoink for it I'm just like
Stickymayhem: instantly exhausted
Stickymayhem: "Like come on man really do you have to do this"
Stickymayhem: It's like if every day five people came and pissed on your front door
Stickymayhem: and like every time you have to open the door
Stickymayhem: get pissed on
Stickymayhem: and say "come on dude really can you please just not"
Stickymayhem: and they go "oh ok I thought this was fine"
Stickymayhem: and then you close the door
Stickymayhem: and an hour later
Stickymayhem: a different guy is pissing on your front door
Carl Jowers | Phuzzylodgik: but each time you ask the guy to stop, he becomes really indignant and pulls the same 25-point pamphlet out of his pocket and AND GODDAMNIT YOU'RE GONNA LISTEN, IN ORDER, TO THE SAME 25 DUMB FUCKING REASONS WHY I CAN PISS ON YOUR DOOR[/spoiler]

Frankly I think if we just set the precedent that it's not a point to argue every time it would improve matters. I am someone who literally by choice spends all day debating in the politics channels of my own free will and I still can't be assed to have the same debate on whether calling that guy a fucking n-word was racist or not. It's just tiring.

This is all I would change really. Give admins a copy paste response they can use that just prevents pushback. If the player refuses to change their behaviour, treat it like any other belligerent defiance of the rules.

I would personally find a word filter would just save us all a lot of time but I'm aware that MSO is ideologically opposed to the infringement on freedom of speech this would cause. We disagree on this, I'd probably support the measure if there was any chance it would go through, but I'd consider it more of a time saver for admins than a necessity.

mod edit: Sure fruit bats seem nice, but this isn't the forum for posting about it
Spoiler:
My favorite animal is the fruit bat it's very cool and it has a pokemon super power called echolocation which is sick and I love how they fly in circles outside my garden and they have adorable big brown eyes and cute tongues and also they all hang around together and share food with each other if one bat couldn't catch a meal other bats will puke into their mouth to share how sweet is that they care about each other and there are studies where they find that there are some bats who just become friends by puking food at each other more often and they build up altruistic trust and also my girlfriend looks like a fruit bat and also they're fucking MAMMALS THAT FLY they have cooler wings than birds they look like monster wings i will fight anyone on any of these talking points fruit bats are the best animal

Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman