The community

Resolved.
damneddog
Byond Username: DamnedDog

The community

Post by damneddog » #612320

What do you think of the current state of the community and do you want to change anything about it?
Cimika
Byond Username: Cimika

Re: The community

Post by Cimika » #612323

Our community is wide, diverse, colourful and inherently full of fun and love for the game. Despite this, some particular portions of it could use an improvement one. Namely the overuse of slurs and the oftentimes needlessly hostile behaviour against non-humans.

Editing wording a bit after takin a nap
Last edited by Cimika on Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Queen of the 2020 Summer Ball
Spoiler:
From the legendary ShadowFlame thread :

kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #612325

Going to copy and paste the answer I gave to you in my thread

This is quite a broad question but I see the current state of the community as ok but on a downward slope unless action is taken.

Let's start with one of my biggest issues- the treatment of newer players by the current base. The amount of times I've seen new players flamed for being new or for using the duffel bag without any help to improve is way too high. I've seen some pretty depraved shit said to them too with seemingly no consequence which just isn't ok for the health of the game at all, if you know how I play ic you'll know that there is nothing I love more than teaching new players how to play sec and some of the shit that they've told me people said to them just was not cool. I feel that the intern change definitely didn't help this (highlighting newer players, in practice they're just targeted for easy loot by antags or an easy target to flame). As a headmin I would heavily encourage the use of rule 1 to deal with these cases as being a dick to new players isn't cool at all. I would also love to add in some kind of mentor role as ahelping can be a super daunting way to ask for help especially for newer players. This isn't a promise though as I'd need to discuss it with other headmins and then get it coded in. (I'd be willing to pay)

My second issue somewhat ties in with the first one. The use of slurs driving people away. Removing slurs fully would cause a lot of unneeded drama but I would like to encourage players tone down their use of them excessively spamming the n word serves absolutely 0 purpose. If possible and the other headmins agree I would like to amend rule 11 to add a clause that excessive use of slurs is not ok too as it creates an incredibly toxic environment. Ideally as time goes on we'll slowly phase them out completely or to a point where they aren't impacting the game to such a degree.

The third thing I view as an issue is hatred towards admins leading to problems not being dealt with. Players use adminwho as a tool to see if they will ahelp or not. If the admin is unknown or a "banbot" the issue simply won't be ahelped and the rulebreaking behaviour will continue. This is incredibly difficult to resolve as you can't change people's sentiment on this thing without a lot of work. I feel that we as the headmins could work to better integrate these admins into the servers where they are hated or viewed as banbots to change public opinion. This will GREATLY improve the player experience leading to more enjoyable rounds but will take a lot of work. I however am willing to put this work in for the betterment of the game.
RiskySikh
Byond Username: RiskySikh

Post by RiskySikh » #612328

its good, but no more manuel players not mrpers, they are killing bagil. either seperate them or don't allow them
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #612629

THE COMMUNITY COMES FIRST

really, we need more community votes on stuff, maybe a way for players to start votes if they get petition signatures from other players