Working with the Host

Resolved.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Working with the Host

Post by wesoda25 » #612662

For administrative measures, MSO has the ultimate authority. Typically he lets democracy do it's thing through the headmins, but every now and then we'll see some activity on his part to bring about some change. Recent/relevant ones which come to mind are Rule 11 and FNR rule 10.

Assuming you become headmin, how do you plan to work with MSO? Say he feels passionately that a change should occur and you disagree, how would you approach this? Vice versa too, you want a change which he disagrees with.

This thread is also completely open to MSO himself and current and former headmins. What did these interactions look like in the past? How did the aforementioned rules come about?
[this space reserved]
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Re: Working with the Host

Post by Mothblocks » #612669

From what I've seen, MSO treats adminbus with respect, which is the most important thing to me, and that what MSO wants for adminbus tends to be reasonable. I agreed with Rule 11's enactment, for instance.

I have worked with MSO well directly in the past, the most recent one being 2FA for admins, which had recurring approvals between me and him. I'm a member of ops-bus (though I'm not nearly as active in there as I'd like), and I did well as a key holder under him for my entire tenure there. I like to think that whatever the end outcome is between a dispute of MSO and the head admin team is, it will at least be something people won't get upset about.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #612671

MrStonedOne lets be friends I already forgot about the great secborg incident of 2017 lets just do some chillin' and killin'
tattle
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

Post by tattle » #612674

This is a difficult question for me to answer because I haven't worked that closely with MSO in the past. I don't have any problem with the rules you brought up, nor how he's dealt with the admin team.

I think if it came down to a disagreement like you're describing, I would do my best to reach a compromise. If a compromise absolutely could not be reached, I would accept the outcome.
Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler:
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #612689

I've worked with MSO on a few projects, most notably the marathon rounds and the debate, evidence and implementation of rule 11.

We have good natured debates on a lot of topics and we've had a great relationship ever since we were trialmins together
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #612785

Think carefully before answering. Make sure answer represent whole picture.

As codebase maintainer, occasionally clash with MSO. Creative endavours & conflicting viewpoints. Nature of beast.

Both goals same - Success of project. Path to accomplish different.

When talking Poes & MSO, never more than one DM away from solving problems. Have done in past, continue to do so at present. Communication key to success.

As admin, MSO quick to respond to query. Never have single problem. Work together, recent example stickyban issues.

Work together, share details, come to solution. Ask MSO for permission to remove erroneous bans. MSO set out guidelines to follow, grant permission to do so.

In any team, disagreements expected. Conflict expected. Self-awareness to know when to hold ground, compromise or back down entirely. Learn more about when to choose either option with every passing day of life.

As headmin - MSO's servers, MSO's rules. Advocate for beliefs with that context in mind.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin