DrWoofington
Byond Username: Evsey9

[Thunder12345] Evsey9 - Spawning a DS vs clockies

Post by DrWoofington » #377974

Byond account and character name: Evsey9, Deeo Brundo
Admin: Thunder12345
Time and Server(Bagil or Sybil) incident occurred: 2018-02-01
ROUND ID HERE: 82905

Detailed summary: So, we had a really good clock cultist round.
Almost everyone was converted, but some people weren't.
Then the HOP decided to call for help.
Thunder12345 in response sent a DEATH SQUAD.
Keep in mind - a deathsquad is a squad of soldiers which have 2 shot crit guns which break everything + energy shields, so they COULD stand at spawn and... shoot up, quickly killing the ark.
They, however, did not - but even if you stunned one with your spear or kindle - another one would shoot you.
Hey, even if you get a pulse rifle - you can't really use it since they have energy shields which deflect any energy projectiles.
Now, I've got a question: How is a DS is balanced against a clock cult, no matter how big?
The deathsquad is the only reason clock cult lost.
The "its better than sitting 10 minutes not doing anything" argument doesn't apply, or could be turned around. If you wanted us to not sit around for ten minutes, doing nothing, perhaps, you could... shorten the ark timer, if you knew the crew wouldn't win? Or hey - send a code red ERT. That is at least more fair of a fight than sending an overpowered force which kills everything in it's way.
Another option would be to send some guns ( other than pulse rifles ). Hell, maybe a bunch of syndicate bombs, even. Honestly, there were many ways in which Thunder could handle this better, but in my opinion, a deathsquad is way too over the top.
Even the HOP that called for help did not expect a death squad: Image
This has also happened before, but probably not with Thunder, and it wasn't fair that time either.
Maybe this PR can set a rule about "no deathsquads on clock cults".
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Re: [Thunder12345] Evsey9 - Spawning a DS vs clockies

Post by Thunder11 » #377977

There were a couple of crew getting lasered to death before they even left the spawn room. Are you really this upset that you didn't spend an eternity sitting on your asses waiting for the round to end with literally no resistance? As for reducing the ark timer, I've tried in the past and haven't been able to find any way to do it. Also, a code red ERT would have been no different, they still spawn with pulse weapons.

Please explain exactly what you lost here, apart from everyone sitting with nothing to do and a line of text changing colour? You still had an entire round of fun, the only thing you didn't get was to sit around doing nothing.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
DrWoofington
Byond Username: Evsey9

Post by DrWoofington » #377981

I lost my sense of pride and accomplishment :(
EDIT: Didn't know that they spawned with pulse rifles. Code amber, then.
Also - there WAS some resistance. Crew members were firing at us first from spawn, even if not a lot, and we didn't have much power actually for many vitality matrices, which meant we had to sometimes retreat
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #377984

line of text changing colour
Can we not pretend that nobody cares about winning or losing, or whether their characters lived or died, or how the story ends? Whether or not this thread is complaint worthy it's silly to say "lol its just text" when we expect our players to respect that text (try pulling that excuse when you bomb the shuttle with 30 seconds left, see how it works out)
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #377995

Bit of an anecdote but I've played in a very dominant clock cult round and had other admins spawn death squads that we were able to kill, barely. I think if the clock cult basically has a guaranteed win, a deathsquad attacking providing an actual challenge is far better than having to wait 10 minutes for the ark to activate with no conflict. Can you really fault Thunder for wanting that?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #377998

PKPenguin321 wrote:Bit of an anecdote but I've played in a very dominant clock cult round and had other admins spawn death squads that we were able to kill, barely. I think if the clock cult basically has a guaranteed win, a deathsquad attacking providing an actual challenge is far better than having to wait 10 minutes for the ark to activate with no conflict. Can you really fault Thunder for wanting that?
DrWoofington did say that a code red ERT would've been alright. Deathsquads are pretty much the go-to "make the antag lose" button to press, though, so it's not really fair to send them as a challenge.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #378002

You can adjust the time remaining on clockcult via viewvar, but it's at best, obstruse and technical and at worst capable of breaking the round.
Gigapuddi420
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Post by Gigapuddi420 » #378003

The lesson to take from this is that while it's possible for a dominant end game clock cult to wreck death squad, most the time players aren't robust enough to actually do it. Some good salt though.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #378041

oranges wrote:You can adjust the time remaining on clockcult via viewvar, but it's at best, obstruse and technical and at worst capable of breaking the round.
This, and that it provides no meaningful conflict whatsoever.

Again, anecdotal, but I'd take a high-action fighting loss over an effortless, boring win if given the choice every time.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #378049

PKPenguin321 wrote:
oranges wrote:You can adjust the time remaining on clockcult via viewvar, but it's at best, obstruse and technical and at worst capable of breaking the round.
This, and that it provides no meaningful conflict whatsoever.

Again, anecdotal, but I'd take a high-action fighting loss over an effortless, boring win if given the choice every time.
It wasn't high action, the entire problem the op had was that with a pulse rifle you can just dump shots up and eventually you'll win. Its a joke to win as a death squad
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #378065

I don't like the idea of punishing an antag for winning, and I don't like how a stagnated round was handled like this when you could have edited the summoning time like oranges said. No I don't think we should ban thunder or something just don't like the direction that takes things if that makes sense
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #378077

Not a huge fan of punishing antags for winning. Also not a huge fan of the "my antag round is sacred mentality."

I think a deathsquad was overkill. It probably made the round more interesting than it would've been without the deathsquad, noone wants to watch a bunch of clockies jack each other off for ten minutes. At the same time, it creates a lot of bad feeling from the cultists since it feels like they got shat on for winning fairly. I can see both sides here and I don't think it's actionable, but I would definitely do things differently if I were in thunder's place- send something that can still give the cult a run for its money while being fair or lessen the timer.

There is in fact a large difference between a code red ERT and a deathsquad.

Code Red ERT: Pulse weapons for everyone- The security officers are the only ones with a large amount of ammo and it's still exhaustible. No e-shields- It's plausible that they can be killed if they're disarmed.

Deathsquad: Pulse weapons for everyone with nearly unlimited ammo. Energy shields means it doesn't matter if they get disarmed- they're immune to their own weapons.

Overall, the code red ERT would be much more fair to send, and it would still be a fun challenge for the cult.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #378428

Thunder has a history of ruining big round-ending blowouts, as he has done before to me as Malf AI. Last time I saw Thunder in a complaint, it was me complaining that he extended my malf nuke timer by 10 minutes to ensure I couldn't win via Phazon memery.

Edit: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 53&t=12648
admins shouldn't be giving players a chance, if the antag has outsmarted or out-powergamed them all then that's ss13 for you
this quote from imblyings from my thread just about sums up the exact thing I see again here. He was also warned not to do this kind of thing again.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #378432

I think an Amber ERT is the right thing to send to replenish crew when everyone is dead or converted. Deathsquads are a meme and should be treated the same as catastrophic meteor spam, singularities and megafauna.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #378433

Aren't squids traditionally only ever appropriate when there's lusties aboard?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #378460

admins shouldn't be giving players a chance, if the antag has outsmarted or out-powergamed them all then that's ss13 for you

There's nothing fun or interesting or worth doing while waiting for clockcult timer.

That's why in general timers are bad because they don't react to environmental conditions.

Maybe thunder should have enabled ctf or just figured out how to varedit the cult timer but I don't bedgrudge them for spawning some people in, even if they got the weighting wrong.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #378500

Thunder could have handled it better and hopefully will in the future but I'm not gonna punish them over being ham handed as long as they learn to tone it down in the future.

Pulse weapons and energy weapon immunity aren't fun to play against, use something better (or just skip the timer) next time. If you want to avoid drama it doesn't hurt to ask the team leader first if they'd be up for a bonus challenge.