ohnopigeons
Byond Username: Ohnopigeons
Github Username: ohnopigeons

[Lollerderby/Thunder12345] Spawning nukeop during rev

Post by ohnopigeons » #146440

Ohnopigeons - Micks Tape
Lollerderby/Thunder12345
~ 12:00 PM EST 1/13/16

In a rev round, the lawyers and I were roleplaying and organizing a corporate revolt, with secret strategy meetings, procedural discussions, and everything in the law office. We even came up with a corporate name for our revolution group. Somewhere around 40 minutes into the round bored admins spawn a nukeop, who then proceeds to nuke the station and end the round. I don't know which admin actually pushed the button, but both seemed to be unrepentant about the nukeop and fairly disdainful about our revolution in ooc after the station was blown.

I was under the impression that rev was fairly hands-off from admins, not to mention it was still only 40 minutes in, with the revs and heads pretty much alive. Conversion might have been a bit slow but wasn't non-existent. There was 7 players out of a server total of 42 who were in the revolution when the station was destroyed, right when we were beginning our recruitment run. I'm not saying there shouldn't be admin intervention at all, but I can't think of a single good reason why this was called for.

I'm more salty that our attempt at roleplay was completely shat on by (he)admins more than the round itself being ruined to be honest. Makes me wonder why I bother at all.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: [Lollerderby/Thunder12345] Spawning nukeop during rev

Post by Saegrimr » #146443

Did you really go 40 minutes without doing a single thing as rev heads?

You took twice as long as the average rev round lasts, and still did nothing.
I get that you want to do the roleplay thing, but what do you expect to happen as soon as you flash anybody? What do you expect to happen the first time anybody spots you flashing someone? Your roleplay is going right out the window as everybody smashes windows and throws spears everywhere. Except you took three times longer to get there than usual.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #146447

I only became a headrev myself ~30 min in. The first headrev was a bit slow on that but that was in the process of being patched. And we had already taken that into account; we had recruitment policies which basically were to invite people to join our corporate group and people who accepted would come into the law office for paperwork, get flashed, and offered nice corporate attire to wear. Done this way, people tend to play along.

And it wasn't like there was nothing happening at all. 1/6 of the crew was converted and there were plenty of station shenanigans that we were trying to take advantage of.
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #146456

Thunder12345 here, I wasn't involved in doing this at all. IIRC there was talk from somewhere (Not sure if it was asay or deadchat) about sending in a lone operative from the time I joined (about 30 mins into the round).
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #146458

Oh shit nigga, someone is actually doing something interesting with rev rather then the exact same 10 minute death match that is usually is?

Quick, nuke 'em.

Also if you're listening to dead chat when the antags are active and rp'ing instead of murderboning, that means almost everyone in dead chat are observers or suicides, so they can fuck right off.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #146486

I think the problem here was that you chose the wrong antag for this. A Gang would've been FAR better to do this gimmick, you'd have armored suits, uzis, and basically be fucking loaded and pimped out in the fight for JUSTICE mafia style.

Revs on the other hand are a Liberian lynch mob.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #146492

You can't do this sort of gimmick as a gang, though - the other gang probably won't, and Security almost definitely won't. RP should be rewarded, not punished - but spawning a nukeop in itself didn't have any adverse effect, it was the station being nuked that did. Maybe next time, an objective to "peacefully sabotage the corporate revolt" instead of "nuke the station"?
ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #146493

Zilenan91 wrote:I think the problem here was that you chose the wrong antag for this. A Gang would've been FAR better to do this gimmick, you'd have armored suits, uzis, and basically be fucking loaded and pimped out in the fight for JUSTICE mafia style.

Revs on the other hand are a Liberian lynch mob.
This wasn't a planned gimmick, there wasn't a "choosing rev antag for this", it just happened and emerged as a result of our character interactions. And anyways, none of the revs that were converted to my knowledge were acting like a "Liberian lynch mob". Even if they were, I don't really see your point.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #146497

Rev is designed to be a Liberian lynch mob level of brutality and mindless murder. Gang is more suited to the kind of thing you were trying to do, so once again it was a case of you deciding to do a shitty antag for the gimmick and getting killed.
ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #146502

Zilenan91 wrote:Rev is designed to be a Liberian lynch mob level of brutality and mindless murder. Gang is more suited to the kind of thing you were trying to do, so once again it was a case of you deciding to do a shitty antag for the gimmick and getting killed.
You're still not getting your point across. Are you saying that admins have free reign to fuck up antag rounds if the antags are not playing exactly to the antag's design?

Besides, this works even less in gangs, as Nightingale pointed out.
Last edited by ohnopigeons on Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #146506

Admins are free to interrupt antag's if they think it is in the best interest of the server. I can't say if this was bad or good without having been there though.
IrishWristWatch0
Byond Username: IrishWristWatch0

Post by IrishWristWatch0 » #146538

Events will often be out of your control. No matter how good or prepared you are, sometimes you just lose.
╔═══════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════════╗
<Shaps> I still firmly believe a drunk kor is more responsible than a sober irish
Zoey Webb(Firecage): Irish. You can break any coherent discussion by mentioning 2 words
420weedscopes: I once proposed to a girl with my dick in her ass
Lzimann's best friend.
° ☾ ☆ ¸. ¸  ★  :.  . • ○ ° ★  ° ○ • .  .:  ★  ¸ .¸ ☆ ☾ °
╚═══════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════════╝
ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #146542

IrishWristWatch0 wrote:Events will often be out of your control. No matter how good or prepared you are, sometimes you just lose.
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5465
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5318

This "event" was purely the responsibility of admins and, having not seen an actual explanation, completely unnecessary and wrong.

How long does it take for an admin to respond to their own complaint thread anyways.
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #146549

This does seem similar to the deathsquad incidents.
While it wasn't a deathsquad, it was an antag that had the capability to instantly end the round for everyone and did so.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #146550

So it was basically a Death Squad
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #146555

The Rules wrote:0. Enforcement of these rules is at the discretion of admins.
Admins are fully accountable for any consequences should they invoke this rule. Admins are also allowed to intervene in rounds when it is in the best interest of the playerbase.
What part of the admin intervention here was in the "interest of the playerbase"? Inserting one super-antag player into the game? Ruining a (supposedly) good time people were having with RP? What merit did inserting a nukeop have on this round? For all I can see, it was as good as hitting the reset button.

Have we really got to the point where the RP content of the round is being ignored and discouraged by some administrators, or are these all just convenient accidents? This sort of administration should be discouraged, particularly as "Admins are fully accountable for any consequences should they invoke this rule."
IrishWristWatch0
Byond Username: IrishWristWatch0

Post by IrishWristWatch0 » #146561

It's one round man. One round. Shit happens. What do you want Loller to do? Resign and pay everyone in the round $100 for reparations?
╔═══════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════════╗
<Shaps> I still firmly believe a drunk kor is more responsible than a sober irish
Zoey Webb(Firecage): Irish. You can break any coherent discussion by mentioning 2 words
420weedscopes: I once proposed to a girl with my dick in her ass
Lzimann's best friend.
° ☾ ☆ ¸. ¸  ★  :.  . • ○ ° ★  ° ○ • .  .:  ★  ¸ .¸ ☆ ☾ °
╚═══════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════════╝
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #146565

IrishWristWatch0 wrote:I only murderboned as a non antag for one round man, one round. Why am I getting perma banned you gaybutts?
If a (non antag) player kills everyone and ends the round (ie: deliberately boh bombing) they get banned.
If an admin does the same shit, other admins just shrug.

Also gang is terrible to try this in.
Rev has one team of antags, which means at most you need all 3 revheads (who work together) to agree do the RP gimmick.
With gang, you have multiple gangs, each with their own leaders (who want to murder each other). Good luck trying to get that to work on tg.

If this was an hour where the revheads had done literally nothing, sure, send in some lings or other shit, but they were recruiting, they clearly had a goal in mind, so why shit on them just because some people can't bear the thought of not having deathmatch 35423498?
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #146587

IrishWristWatch0 wrote:It's one round man. One round. Shit happens.
Pretty lazy strawman that could be used as justification to throw out 99% of the bans we give. Nobody is asking him to resign or be deadminned either (Certainly not me, lord knows I would be blacklisted a dozen times over if ruining a round as an admin was taken that seriously.)

And abusing my admin powers to fuel my contrarian shitposting, the last ban you gave was for logging out as chief engineer, which has just a bit less impact than killing literally everyone.

Final edit: I actually do think we should throw out most bans for that reason though, and that most situations, including this one, could be solved with a "hey sorry man wont make a habit of it" though, so whatever. I just take issue with "admins dont have rules!" as a response.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #146607

It's a lazy event but I'd rather admins pushed buttons
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #146631

I think the issue is deadchat and other players often put pressure to speed up rounds, which means we miss out on interesting situations like this because of peer pressure. Obviously its easy to just say "don't give in to peer pressure" and let this play out. But its not quite as simple as that and people complain.

Yes I think this should have been allowed to play out the way it started, it was an interesting gimmick and a break from the normal rev round. However sadly the server seems to have moved away from patients in favour of quick, standard, round types.

Honestly I think loller was wrong in this instant, however, having done the same myself, all you can do is apologise and try to be more situationaly aware and try to entertain deadchat it other ways while those carry on with there situation.

TLDR: IMHO a mistake was made, we need to learn from this and move forward.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #146642

It's better to end rounds/add spice by hooking into whatever is going on at the time

A nuke op might have been totally fine if it had been worked into the declaration of a corporate revolt, maybe the nuke ops thought the revs were a silly joke but were going to play them for long enough to get the disk or something like that. Try to acknowledge what's going on in the round when you do press buttons it usually helps.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #146829

This is ridiculous that admins are defending the act of walking over other players like doormats and stating "lol its out of ur control" when those players don't want to be treated like doormats.

The hardest word in the English language, and this forum is "sorry". This thread shouldn't have gotten more than 15 replies. All you had todo was follow an example like Shaps' on my thread by apologising and learning from a mistake.

How hard is it to own up to your mistake and say "sorry" then learn from that mistake by not making the same mistake in future "tone it down"/"won't do it again".

The lack of responsibility is ridiculous. How about you keep your fingers out of the pie for once and let things play out.

We're not allowed to valid ERPers but you're allowed to fuck with the round?

No, players are not your doormats.
No, not everyone wants their round messed with - keep your hands out of the oven and fingers off the food, Guy Fieri.

Edit: Kor is god damn right.
Edit 2: this isn't directed to anyone in particular. It's a general statement to all.
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #146855

JMad, do me a favor and read the posts literally directly above your own.

Far as I can see, the real lesson here is 'make sure the antags actually are doing nothing before you send more', as a general rule.
RIP
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #146857

>injecting your anti ERP agenda into a completely unrelated admin complaint

dude are you totally serious? I am not ERP's biggest fan but you really need to chill out on that shit
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #146870

Wyzack wrote:>injecting your anti ERP agenda into a completely unrelated admin complaint

dude are you totally serious? I am not ERP's biggest fan but you really need to chill out on that shit
Sorry. It wasn't intentional. I was trying to draw light on the fact it's not acceptable to be a dick and ruin an individual's round as a player, but people defend an admin ruining everyone's round.

I didn't mean to bring ERP into it. I could do other examples.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #146882

Hibbles wrote:JMad, do me a favor and read the posts literally directly above your own.

Far as I can see, the real lesson here is 'make sure the antags actually are doing nothing before you send more', as a general rule.
Considering loller hasn't even posted in the thread, and its just been other admins trying to justify his actions, then yeah, J-mad is 100% right.
Mistakes happen, but if you're trying to justify your mistakes rather then learning from them, then that's a problem.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #146960

Honestly? This sounds like an incredibly drawn out and dull round. Like extended+. And I can easily see people getting pissy, especially with barely fuckall happening after 40 minutes during a rev round. Heck, even if this was traitor with the traitors doing nothing, nuke with the ops doing nothing, or wizard with the wizard doing nothing to enhance the round and move it along, admins SHOULD be entitled to intervene and cause fun.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #146978

They weren't doing 'nothing', though - they just simply weren't killing everyone and flashing everyone. A peaceful revolution is still a revolution.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #146979

No Nightingale, it is basically doing nothing what they did by essentially turning it into extended+. I would say the admin was within full rights to do this.
ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #146998

firecage wrote:Honestly? This sounds like an incredibly drawn out and dull round. Like extended+. And I can easily see people getting pissy, especially with barely fuckall happening after 40 minutes during a rev round. Heck, even if this was traitor with the traitors doing nothing, nuke with the ops doing nothing, or wizard with the wizard doing nothing to enhance the round and move it along, admins SHOULD be entitled to intervene and cause fun.
Fun? Yes, I agree. Round-ending "lolnukeop" antag with absolutely no connection to the events in the round? I don't think so. Had things gone like Ausops suggested there would pretty much be zero issues, but that is exactly what didn't happen.

There was plenty of funny stuff already happening outside the revolution, like leadership fights which were keeping the crew entertained. I've sat through rounds which were significantly more boring and dull where admins did absolutely nothing.

Can we please not speculate how boring or dull the round was and have people who were actually there comment on that instead?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #147480

Players don't have or deserve the right to an uninterrupted round imo
lollerderby
Byond Username: Lollerderby
Github Username: lollerderby

Post by lollerderby » #148116

This is long overdue for a response from me but I've been really busy lately.

At the time I had expected that the ~40 people on station would be able to handle a single lone op that was going in loud in the absence of any other antagonist driven conflict, but in retrospect sending in an antagonist with the capacity for ending the round, no matter how improbable, was not exactly a great decision. Sorry I ruined you round.
DEAD: Tim Ebow says, ">rylie talking shit and not actually doing anything again"
DEAD: Tim Ebow says, "What a twist"
ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #148695

lollerderby wrote:This is long overdue for a response from me but I've been really busy lately.

At the time I had expected that the ~40 people on station would be able to handle a single lone op that was going in loud in the absence of any other antagonist driven conflict, but in retrospect sending in an antagonist with the capacity for ending the round, no matter how improbable, was not exactly a great decision. Sorry I ruined you round.
Thank you, that's all I needed to hear. I appreciate it, I really do.

I consider this resolved.