Skorvold - Lazy admining.

Cuboos
Byond Username: Cuboos

Skorvold - Lazy admining.

Post by Cuboos » #29069

Byond account and character name: Cuboos - Johnson Fitzwell.
Admin: Skorvold - banned me without a lot of discussion about the incident.
Time incident occured: 09-15-2014, early afternoon in Pacific time (don't remember exact time)
Detailed summary:

Now just to clarify why this is in Admin complaint and not Ban appeal, it's only a 24 hour ban, not a big deal in that regard. The admin's behavior however gave the impression of apathy and laziness.

I was Johnson Fitzwell, a scientist that round working in Xeno. Suddenly a cured Katana appears in my hand, first though, "Oh shit wizard spell, gonna be murder boners about". Next thing i know another scientist runs right into Xeno, with a Katana in his hands and beings to run circles around me. Immediately i think he's trying to attack me, so i managed to strike first. I get him into crit a few hits, he manages just to say "stop" right before he goes into crit. I decided to try and feed him to Slims. As i'm dragging him and putting him into a feeding disposal, Skorvold contacts me asking why i killed him, i told he "He was running circles around me, i thought he was about to attack". Skorvold says something along the lines of, "Not a good enough reason". So i'm all, "well okay fine, maybe that wasn't suppose to happen". So i start to drag him out and head for medical. Round ends suddenly with a nuke fake-out then i get the ban from Skorvold "Ban Reason is: Killed a co-worker for running around him in circles during a wizard round".

My complaint is that there was no further discussion to determine if this was bannable or not. it was, "That's not a good enough reason" then a ban. Not to mention that me and the co-worker had CURSED KATANAS, that COULDN'T BE DROPPED. At that point, i'm not sure where you thought something like this wasn't going to happen.

To summarize, It appears Skorvold didn't bother to look into the situation and just went with, "ban anyway" rout.
/TG/ First and Only Sound guy
The only Dev unanimously loved least hated.
Skorvold
Byond Username: Skorvold

Re: Skorvold - Lazy admining.

Post by Skorvold » #29084

By the logic your stating, everyone on the station that got within a square of you with a cursed katana would be about to attack you. Which, by then everyone had a cursed katana. He didn't strike back once or do anything to defend himself.
Spoiler:
[14:58:18]ATTACK: Johnson Fitzwell(cuboos) attacked Delaron Ereborn(delaron) with cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed katana(INTENT: HARM) (DAMTYE: BRUTE)
[14:58:19]ATTACK: Johnson Fitzwell(cuboos) attacked Delaron Ereborn(delaron) with cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed katana(INTENT: HARM) (DAMTYE: BRUTE)
[14:58:20]ATTACK: Johnson Fitzwell(cuboos) attacked Delaron Ereborn(delaron) with cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed katana(INTENT: HARM) (DAMTYE: BRUTE)
[14:58:21]ATTACK: Johnson Fitzwell(cuboos) attacked Delaron Ereborn(delaron) with cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed katana(INTENT: HARM) (DAMTYE: BRUTE)
[14:58:22]ATTACK: Johnson Fitzwell(cuboos) attacked Delaron Ereborn(delaron) with cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed katana(INTENT: HARM) (DAMTYE: BRUTE)
[14:58:23]ATTACK: Johnson Fitzwell(cuboos) attacked Delaron Ereborn(delaron) with cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed cursed katana(INTENT: HARM) (DAMTYE: BRUTE)
I saw no laziness on my part, the situation was as clear cut as can be.
Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/skorvold
Talk to me on steam anytime.
Jordie0608
Site Admin
Byond Username: Jordie0608
Github Username: Jordie0608

Post by Jordie0608 » #29087

So from what I can tell here a key aspect of your complaint is that Skorvold wasn't clear enough in what he meant.

While I can agree that Skorvold didn't express himself all that well, why didn't you just ask him for more information? Skorvold banned you at the end of the round so you plenty of time for it.
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.
Skorvold
Byond Username: Skorvold

Post by Skorvold » #29089

I will admit some hastiness on my part, as I was going around and deleting mobs to stop them from duping from the wizard event spell. But the incident was still pretty clear as "you killed a guy for being near you".
Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/skorvold
Talk to me on steam anytime.
Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #29184

The round ended right after i started to drag him out of the slime pen. And as stated above, he wasn't near me he was running around me, it LOOKED like an attack. I had no idea what his intentions were, i COULDN'T know what his intentions were. It looked like an attack so i attacked first. When it turned out i was wrong, i decided to try and undo it by dragging him to medical, but then the round ended as soon as i tried. Not to mentions EVEYRONE HAD KATANAS, what the hell do you think is going to happen? What the hell do you think is going through everyone's mind? I'd bet half of them thought, "Oh shit, Katana spell, people are going to start killing each other" or, "Oh boy, Katana spell, LETS START KILLING EACH OTHER". I was the former and i assumed -- from his behavior -- that he was the later, i think my intentions were justified. It's as if we're playing a game where people kill each other all the time.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #29217

Cuboos wrote:It's as if we're playing a game where people kill each other all the time.
Except you're not.

You are a employee on a space station, not a player playing a game.

Just because we let you run in the halls doesn't mean you can throw RP out the fucking window.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #29224

Had i attempted to RP questioning his intentions, he could taken that pause to attack me. I can't tell someone else's intentions, for all i know he could have gotten a special objective to kill people. I've seen it happen a few times during a wizard round, after the weapons get spawned, some times you get a special objective to do something, usually it's survival, sometimes it's to cause havoc.

Think this situation out a bit more, you've played this game a good solid two or three years now. You've been killed multiple times over the years by random people for random reasons. You've even filed admin help reports on similar situations and usually been told things like, "He was antag, it was valid", or "It was IC so deal with it ICly". So now you've got the impression that the admins aren't going to deal with it unless it's a real issue. Then this situation pops up. Guy runs in, has a deadly weapon, follows behavior patters of someone trying to attack you, you get him first, Admin contacts you about it, you try to undo it and explain yourself, round ends before you get a chance too, admin bans you before you get a chance to explain. I'm pretty sure the majority of you would be understandably pissed off and gain a bad impression of the admin. The impression i got was of laziness.

I ain't saying Skorvold is a "badmin" or needs to be removed, just situations like this need to be considered more thoroughly before action is taken and just maybe there needs to be a little more scrutiny of the admins. (We don't want this place to turn into Yogstation now, do we?)
Hornygranny
Horny Police
Byond Username: Hornygranny

Post by Hornygranny » #29309

You are not justified in striking first because someone entered your workplace with a weapon, especially given the fact that you knew he couldn't drop it.
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #29343

hg's got it pretty much nailed down. Whatever else comes of it, the core of this issue is what you did wasn't great. Next time, make an appeal before you complain about it, too, whether or not the ban duration is up.
RIP
Sven12
Byond Username: Exalted12

Post by Sven12 » #29358

Can you really blame him for defending himself from someone baiting him into a fight? If he really was running around him as people do with spacemans robust combat system he knew exactly what he was doing, and I don't think he should've adminhelped dying as a result of it.
Sven Brunner, Beheader of Personnel, CKey: Exalted12