[Doctor Brutality] - MrNihil - Name Change Notice

MrNihil
Byond Username: MrNihil

[Doctor Brutality] - MrNihil - Name Change Notice

Post by MrNihil » #579686

When and where this incident occurred: Game Server, Terry, 20.10.2020 (d/m/y), around 18:50 UTC+1
Byond account and character name: MrNihil, Toby Smoldik
Admin: Doctor Brutality
ROUND ID: 148713
Detailed summary: I was told to appeal on Ban Appeals for that, but I feel it would be too much of a hassle over a note (and not actual ban), and also I will change my name, so nothing to appeal for.

Toby Smoldik is a name that was present on /tg/ for about 8-10 months I guess (or at least I remember so). I used it before, and as I have returned recently I am now using this name on every /tg/ server. No admin ever complained about my name or suggested name change (except some notice week ago, but I am 99% sure its not about Smoldik), I was bwoinked few times so Admins had chance to see my name. Additionally I believe that Doc Brutalities ruling is subjective, as he used sentences like: "Change your last name to something less well, retarded please." // "[...] because it's a dumb name." // "I don't like dick puns for names that much. I can usually suspend my belief when someone just has dick as a last name or something but I draw the line at puns like smoldik.".
To be honest I tried to find a rule about naming, but the only thing I found is no dumb names OOC, so I just used common sense not to call myself something really obscene or bad. I will change my name its no problem, but personally I felt like some rude dude just jumped over me for "your name is dum, I dont like it", instead of actual rules violation.
pugie
Byond Username: Doctor Brutality

Re: [Doctor Brutality] - MrNihil - Name Change Notice

Post by pugie » #579690

I really feel this should be in ban appeals instead, this is on rules page under rule 3 precedent.
Excessively OOC names fall under rule 3. Make a minimum effort to have your name fit in a setting involving a wacky space station in the future. A firstname lastname minimum is required for humans and felinids; other species may instead choose to use the default names assigned to them, such as those given through random names, or otherwise any name that is species-appropriate. Honorifics and nicknames are not allowed. Admins may get involved if your name is dumb and can approve or disallow names at their discretion while in-game.
I think small dick puns are an awful surname and it's well within my rights as admin to ask you to change it.
MrNihil
Byond Username: MrNihil

Post by MrNihil » #579732

Of course, I don't deny your right to guard fun and rules, however I would appreciate more friendly approach with dealing with such issues, especially if its just menial name change.
pugie
Byond Username: Doctor Brutality

Post by pugie » #579736

I couldn't think of any appropriate adjectives for your name other than retarded at the time, sorry.
Domitius
Byond Username: Domitius
Github Username: DomitiusKnack

Post by Domitius » #580312

We don't take any issue with Pugie's enforcement of naming policy here, nor do we take issue with him calling the name "Smoldik" retarded. This complaint is not upheld.

Headmin Votes:
Coconutwarrior97: Do not uphold.
Domitius: Do not uphold.
Naloac: Do not uphold.